Little things to improve appearance

I don't want to be high maintenance - that's not me - buuuut as I'm cracking on a bit I've discovered I don't like what I see in the mirror very much.

So - what little things help you get out of bed looking awesome?

I have started body brushing in the mornings, drink lots of water, and try to get plenty of sleep. I also exercise regularly.

Any ideas? Also any ideas on a very light moisturiser? Is it possible to get balm or gel style ones?

TIA!

(A useless at girl-ing) HBS x
"I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer

Comments

• My skin improved and has a glow to it since taking Omega 3, not eating refined carbs and eating more fat in my diet.
    I've had a number of compliments on how good my skin looks.
  • I hate the "claggy" feel of heavy moisturiser on my skin, and would highly recommend Liz Earle's Skin Repair Light.

Alternately there are a number of serums about now which are beautifully light. I recently tried one from Aldi and it's lovely, so no need to spend a fortune.
  • trailingspouse
    trailingspouse Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I'm with you there!! I've always looked younger than my age (a real pain at 18!!) - but now I find I have to work harder at it...

Attitude plays a big part - a happy face is always going to look better than a sad/cross one, no matter how many wrinkles you have or how grey your hair is.

This is what I do - and it seems to be working.
    - my hair is almost completely white, and I used to have it dyed a red/brown. On the advice of my hairdresser I slowly went brown/pale brown/blonde, and now the roots don't show.
    - I wear varifocals, which means I can't see to pluck my eyebrows, so I get them done professionally every three months or so
    - I moisturise. The important thing is to actually do it - you can have a really expensive jar in the drawer, but if you never use it, it won't do you any good.
    - I eat sensible quantities of good food, and I exercise without being obsessive about it.
    - I spend a lot of time and money choosing the right glasses. It's the only item of 'clothing' that I wear every single day, whatever the occasion, and whatever else I'm wearing, so they have to be right.

Also - forget what looked good on you 20/30 (or in my case, 40) years ago. Be flexible, never say never. A session with a personal shopper gave me the confidence to wear skinny jeans!! I went to Debenhams, the sessions are completely free, and there is no pressure to buy (although there's not a lot of point in doing it if you're not going to buy something).

Enjoy finding the new you!!
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Thank you TS! I may visit a personal shopper. I am determined to be a little bit sophisticated :)

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

#Bremainer
  • trailingspouse
    trailingspouse Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    Sophisticated is good. Go for it!!
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    Alternately there are a number of serums about now which are beautifully light. I recently tried one from Aldi and it's lovely, so no need to spend a fortune.

The Simply Pure serum from Superdrug is really good and is very cheap - it's about £2.60-ish, and it's often on offer.
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Clean eating has helped my complexion a lot.

Something I've started using since Christmas is eyebrow powder. I was using a pencil for a couple of months beforehand, but the powder gives a much more natural finish. Both definitely make a difference, my eyebrows are shaped but a little sparse despite efforts to grow them out. It only takes 30 seconds or so to apply, but well worth it.
  • asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    I found Superdrug vitamin E series great value for money.
    I've reduced my dairy consumption and it is helping my skin (I noticed my hormonal acne would get worse if I eat to much cheese etc). I also drink less alcohol and eat less sugar.
    ally.
  • I ended up buying a few travel size moisturisers and getting a few samples and giving them a go - I've ended up with a bottle of Simple's Light variant.

I've also been body brushing in the mornings and making baths a pampering thing rather than just a wash - it's helped me relax more :)

HBS x

#Bremainer
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport