Has Marks and Spencer refused you a refund? Post details here.

Options

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you used your m & s card-why didnt you just take your m and s statement along??
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    If you used your m & s card-why didnt you just take your m and s statement along??

It is still not proof that you bought that particular item (although it would be persuasive if the purchase was just for the cost of the one item).
    Both items were purchased using my m&s card, so I cannot see why they are unable to use their records.

M&S, and M&S Money are run separately, and the store would not be able to look at the details of your account.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • doodle_bug
    Options
    Going back a few years M&S didn't have changing rooms, that is what their returns policy was based on, you had to take clothing away to try it on.
    M&S used to be fantastic at refunds and exchanges, I had some trousers where the zip had gone, had them 6 months and took them back expecting a refund but they sent them off for repair.
    Shoplifters do just lift stuff take it back and then go for a credit note, then sell the credit notes for cash.
  • gkf
    gkf Posts: 404 Forumite
    Options
    M & S are more generous than any other store with their 90 day return policy. They will still take items back after the 90 days with a receipt, but will only pay out the current price by credit voucher which may or may not be the price paid over 90 days previous. They do have certain 'customers' who do help themselves to stock and then try to return them. If they are known to the store, the store will then refuse a refund to them without a receipt. Re an item paid for by the &more card, the store could phone M & S money and they are able to look at the loyalty records and see exactly what item was purchased. This unfortunately takes time to do so is rarely offered to the customer.
  • hollydays
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »
    It is still not proof that you bought that particular item (although it would be persuasive if the purchase was just for the cost of the one item).

M&S, and M&S Money are run separately, and the store would not be able to look at the details of your account.
    I thought the item was listed on the statement..oh ok then.
  • hollydays
    Options
    gkf wrote: »
    M & S are more generous than any other store with their 90 day return policy. They will still take items back after the 90 days with a receipt, but will only pay out the current price by credit voucher which may or may not be the price paid over 90 days previous. They do have certain 'customers' who do help themselves to stock and then try to return them. If they are known to the store, the store will then refuse a refund to them without a receipt. Re an item paid for by the &more card, the store could phone M & S money and they are able to look at the loyalty records and see exactly what item was purchased. This unfortunately takes time to do so is rarely offered to the customer.

Thats sounds like you are saying they are only refusing customers who are suspect,but some stores are refusing everybody,I believe is what the op is saying.they have computer systems instore that are very comprehensive and used to allow Managers to access transaction info-are you saying that has changed?
  • gkf
    gkf Posts: 404 Forumite
    Options
    I am not aware of stores that are refusing everybody, they shouldn't be doing that. I believe it to be only suspect customers.
  • adandem
    adandem Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have never had a problem with M&S, I had to return an item last week and they didn't even look in the box to check that I was actually returning the correct item!

B&Q also have a very good returns policy - 90 days, Wickes is 6 months.:eek:
  • hollydays
    Options
    gkf wrote: »
    I am not aware of stores that are refusing everybody, they shouldn't be doing that. I believe it to be only suspect customers.

:eek::eek:..please tell me you DONT work for them..
  • Dustykitten
    Dustykitten Posts: 16,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »

I have brought an item in the past and not been able to find the receipt. The store were able to look up the transaction as it was on my M&S card (although not instantly as it had to be done by somebody in the office so they phoned me the next day) and they did give me the refund. The statement you get only shows the total for the transaction not the individual items.

M&S clubcard can also look at individual items on their computers so would be able to fax the details to a store.
    The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport