PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How to clean pine furniture

Options
Doing a move about of furniture and seeing things from different angles has shown up some grubbly, greasy marks on my waxed pine furniture which I cannot seem to get rid of. Kids greasy fingerprints I think. Also there are a few crayon and ink lines courtesy of the three horrors.

Does anyone have any tips for cleaning these? I usually just use a microfibre cloth with a drop of washing up liquid or stardrops but this doesn't seem to deep clean. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Comments

• busymumof3
    Options
    Any suggestions gratefully received.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • barjam_2
    barjam_2 Posts: 1,667 Forumite
    Options
    your link kittie i think just takes to treating pine not how to clean pre treated pine that has been waxed,

i have waxed furniture and the way i clean is rub with a very fine sand paper a wax again, sorry it might not be answer what you are looking for busymumof3 but thats what i do:confused:
  • prudryden
    prudryden Posts: 2,075 Forumite
    Options
    barjam wrote:
    your link kittie i think just takes to treating pine not how to clean pre treated pine that has been waxed,

i have waxed furniture and the way i clean is rub with a very fine sand paper a wax again, sorry it might not be answer what you are looking for busymumof3 but thats what i do:confused:

That's the way.
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
  • tracyk
    tracyk Posts: 224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I cleaned a waxed pine coffee table last weekend with diluted Stardrops - couldn't believe the dirt it lifted & it never affected the waxed finish at all.
  • busymumof3
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I have tried very dilute stardrops but I will try a slightly stronger mixture. I did buy some beeswax yesterday so will try the sanding with fine wire wool followed by that. Thanks again.
  • prudryden
    prudryden Posts: 2,075 Forumite
    Options
    I was wrong about the sandpaper. My wife tells me she used the finest grade of wire wool, which didn't damage the grain (since its a soft wood) and then reapplied Bee's Wax - working with the grain of the wood.

The sandpaper is good for anything that has been varnished - so I was half-right.:)
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
  • SPINKO_2
    SPINKO_2 Posts: 317 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,
    Has anybody got any ideas how to treat or feed Pine bedroom furniture on the cheap.I have bought wax products before but they are so expensive and I wondered if there was a home made solution I could make.Also is there a cheap glass cleaner solution I could also make myself.I have mastered a kitchen,bathroom cleaner but have now become a bit stumped.
    Many Thanks.
    Sarah-Lou loves a freebie, a bargain or a wine!:beer:
  • nesssie1702
    nesssie1702 Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Cheap glass cleaner - vinegar and newspaper. It works, honestly!
  • SPINKO_2
    Options
    Wow thank you for taking the time to give me that solution.I will try the olive oil and lemon juice tomorrow morning.Will let know how I get on.
    Thanks again.:T
    Sarah-Lou loves a freebie, a bargain or a wine!:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family