IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Difference between on site and parking

Options
Hi,

I have received a PCN from Parkingeye stating that I was on site 11 mins over max 3 hour.

Their sign states parking for 3 hours max no return within 2 hours.

So, as it took longer than 11 mins to get a space and then leave the car park due to it being very busy, (and a poor design as recirculating cars block the exit), do they have to prove I was parked longer than three hours or is their ANP recognition system good enough to show I was on site for longer than the 3 hours?

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,350 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Please read the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #1 to understand the general issues about private parking. In it you will find a ready written initial appeal for you to use. Its prime aim is to secure you a POPLA code. It’s at POPLA you will be able to beat this.

For POPLA you will need to focus on the mandatory grace periods (note plural) PE have to provide as detailed in the BPA Code of Practice they are required to follow. Clause 13 is what you need to concentrate on.

http://www.britishparking.co.uk/write/Documents/AOS_Code_of_Practice_October_2015_update_V6..pdf
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Squawky
    Squawky Posts: 143 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    Please read the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #1 to understand the general issues about private parking. In it you will find a ready written initial appeal for you to use. Its prime aim is to secure you a POPLA code. It’s at POPLA you will be able to beat this.

For POPLA you will need to focus on the mandatory grace periods (note plural) PE have to provide as detailed in the BPA Code of Practice they are required to follow. Clause 13 is what you need to concentrate on.

http://www.britishparking.co.uk/write/Documents/AOS_Code_of_Practice_October_2015_update_V6..pdf

Thanks for that, I see it is a minimum of 10 minutes and as it's a poorly designed car park where the recirculating cars block the exit my 11 minutes will hopefully be OK.

I know it's probably not relevant but I timed it the other day and it took 16 minutes just to get a space.
  • claxtome
    claxtome Posts: 628 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Remember there is a grace period at the beginning of around 10 mins too to allow you to park as Umkomaas hinted at. The CoP is a little vague in this area but bear this in mind when writing your POPLA appeal. ;)
  • Umkomaas
    Options
    Squawky wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I see it is a minimum of 10 minutes and as it's a poorly designed car park where the recirculating cars block the exit my 11 minutes will hopefully be OK.

I know it's probably not relevant but I timed it the other day and it took 16 minutes just to get a space.

If it’s a minimum of 10 minutes (to leave the car park), then 11 minutes falls into that category. But you still need to factor in to the ‘overstay’ the ‘reasonable amount of time’ provided by the Code of Practice for finding a parking space. As I said ‘note plural’.

Here’s further information for you to read from the BPA’s Director of Policy & Public Affairs - direct from the ‘horse’s mouth’:

http://www.britishparking.co.uk/News/good-car-parking-practice-includes-grace-periods

You’ll be fine at POPLA - but let us see your draft first.

PE should not be issuing tickets like this when they know full well the grace periods’ allowance has not been breached. We would like you, after gaining your cancellation, to make a formal complaint to the BPA and DVLA - all in due course.

For now - whip off that initial appeal (the one in blue text) to PE, then forget things and enjoy Christmas. It won’t be until after the festive break that you will need to do anything further. Then in January and February, get this killed off.

:xmassign:
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

• Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Who's car park was it?
    have you complained to the landowner? If not post your complaint here first.
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • Squawky
    Options
    Half_way wrote: »
    Who's car park was it?
    have you complained to the landowner? If not post your complaint here first.

It's a car park shared by 5 outlets, 3 of which we use regularly.
  • Umkomaas
    Options
    Squawky wrote: »
    It's a car park shared by 5 outlets, 3 of which we use regularly.

See if any can help, particularly the ‘senior’ one - if obvious. But the likelihood is that there’s a Managing Agent controlling things there.

If there is one, the MA is often listed somewhere near the bottom of the retail park entrance sign that lists the outlets on site. Alternatively ask if the retailers know, or try good old Google.

• The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    If any, (or all), of these outlets have Facebook or TripAdvisor pages write bad stuff on them, they hate that.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Squawky
    Options
    Well,

I first started this thread to ask about the difference between on-site and parking and have received some excellent advice.

The original PCN was received mid November and I appealed by email and received a confirmation a day later.

I have now just received another PCN with the same Ref number and date of event, but it's now got an issue date at the beginning of January with the reduced payment date mid January.

There is nothing about my initial appeal whatsoever and nothing about POPLA at all.

What should I do now, another appeal?
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    Options
    yes, appeal it , same blue text template but add the grace periods into it by adapting the one I wrote in this thread

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73242562
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport