PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,116
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    caronc wrote: »
    I can be iffy about the texture/taste of cheapo flavoured yoghurts but I love greek or thick yoghurt. I mainly use it in cooking though. I tried making my own once yonks ago - don't what I did wrong but suffice to say it wasn't edible:o

Same, love the Greek type, only tried them a month or so back, but now the only one for me. I did have a bash years back making my own yoghurt, it worked and tasted OK but in the end just CBA to do it

Hollyharvey "The problem is...there will be two portions left over. <sigh> " Count me in, what time? It is peeing down here and def stew weather :D

Today is MOT day, left the car and bus back. Not much useful "stuff"in SM, just bought one YS bashed tin of custard and had to get a move on 'cos rain was on the way, since arrived and in for the day now

The custard was spur of the moment, with the weather & freezer sort through I decided once I spotted the bashed custard I remembered it's companion was in the freezer. Jam sponge pudding. now out defrosting and ready for nuking later :T

Late breakfast / brunch of toasted crust & marmalade
    Lunch was BLT sandwich, last 2 of the bacon rashers used up.

Dinner is comfort fry up. Using the extra veg I cooked on Sunday, with eggs & mushrooms mixed in, sort of omelette, or call it frittata and I will pop some grated cheese on top

Followed by freshly nuked jam sponge pud & bashed custard. Looking forward to those bits anyway
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I went out in the driving/atrocious rain and returned with a bit of furniture bought on Facebook.

Only one thing for it then ... I was damp, cold, hungry .... it was a big bread roll, lamb/mint burger, cheese, ketchup and chips.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,116
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Still raining, but dinner over & done with

The fry up omelette thingy turned out very well, with LO beans anice warming meal

The jam sponge with YS bashed custard was as lovely as I had hoped. Half left for tomorrow

Windoze has updated just as I was about to press "enter" so had to retype this. Never mind, time to settle down and try & sort out my mobile phone mess with one closing down and no signal indoors, ever, on 3 my options are a bit limited. I know someone said giff gaff but it needs topping up every 3 months and my usage is way less than a quid a year
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,059
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Good evening everyone,
    I hate to say it but the weather has been lovely here today though getting chilly now. It's not due to last though if that's any consolation for those who have been cold and wet today ;).
    I spent most of the afternoon in garden, tidied up my courgettes which are definitely on the wane and did lots of dead heading- you can really see Autumn creeping in.:(

Holly - have you thought about making tuna fishcakes or a tuna pasta bake to use some of the mountain up? (Though no doubt it would add to your freezer stash......)

Farway - your dinner sounds like what my kids call "Fridge Frittata":D, such a good way of using lurking bits up!

The tomato & veg sauce is simmering so I'll brown the meatballs and cook some pasta in a bit.
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 9 August 2017 at 7:39PM
    caronc wrote: »

Holly - have you thought about making tuna fishcakes or a tuna pasta bake to use some of the mountain up? (Though no doubt it would add to your freezer stash......)
    Yes I have been thinking about using it up in 'meals', but as you say the problem is the freezer space (isn't it always). I think I will have to start meal planning based around bulky items, for example, use up the lamb shanks, and the beef joints as they take up so much room.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I decided to eat the "most awkwardly shaped item in the freezer" - so it's some hot & spicy chicken fillets in breadcrumbs and some steam indian inspired rice - both bought from 4ldi the other week instead of me going to get a "proper takeaway".

I've added the last of my instant curry sauce too.

Although the two bags were the most awkwardly shaped ones in the freezer, removing them both didn't seem to free up a single inch still!
  • poppystar
    poppystar Posts: 1,274
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 9 August 2017 at 7:58PM
    Farway wrote: »

Windoze has updated just as I was about to press "enter" so had to retype this. Never mind, time to settle down and try & sort out my mobile phone mess with one closing down and no signal indoors, ever, on 3 my options are a bit limited. I know someone said giff gaff but it needs topping up every 3 months and my usage is way less than a quid a year

Have same problem with 3 no signal at friend's houses. I am told there is a way round it that links it to the wifi signal and uses that to phone when there is wifi and no phone signal. Thinks it was an app but some phones work directly. Have you tried that? (Edit ...Three In Touch)

The fact that our 3 friends have developed it must mean that the no signal indoors is quite common.:mad:
  • poppystar
    poppystar Posts: 1,274
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 9 August 2017 at 7:50PM
    Thanks caroncand PN fotr the freezer thoughts. I tried to reply earlier but having posted last night the computer went all blackscreen on me. Fear there is a big purchase coming up and it isn't a freezer:o

My freezer compartment is 15L so it fits all the essentials and I've never bulk bought and wouldn't know where to start - assuming it means a half cow or whatever? ;). Think I may stick with that unless I get down to better meal planning which might be a better first step for me:(

More MS YS tonight but was yummy and half left for tomorrow.:)

edit - I always have trouble with the bold on MSE, really no idea what i do wrong but be assured it wasn't me shouting!!

edit2 - oops now the bold has gone completely!
  • caronc
    Forumite
    Yes I have been thinking about using it up in 'meals', but as you say the problem is the freezer space (isn't it always). I think I will have to start meal planning based around bulky items, for example, use up the lamb shanks, and the beef joints as they take up so much room.
    Sounds like a plan - just make sure you don't end up with umpteen portions to fit back in that's my downfall;):D
    I decided to eat the "most awkwardly shaped item in the freezer" - so it's some hot & spicy chicken fillets in breadcrumbs and some steam indian inspired rice - both bought from 4ldi the other week instead of me going to get a "proper takeaway".

I've added the last of my instant curry sauce too.

Although the two bags were the most awkwardly shaped ones in the freezer, removing them both didn't seem to free up a single inch still!
    I know the feeling.........:eek:
  • caronc
    Forumite
    poppystar wrote: »
    Thanks caroncand PN fotr the freezer thoughts. I tried to reply earlier but having posted last night the computer went all blackscreen on me. Fear there is a big purchase coming up and it isn't a freezer:o

My freezer compartment is 15L so it fits all the essentials and I've never bulk bought and wouldn't know where to start - assuming it means a half cow or whatever? ;). Think I may stick with that unless I get down to better meal planning which might be a better first step for me:(

More MS YS tonight but was yummy and half left for tomorrow.:)
    Bulk buying for me means spending enough to qualify for various discounts etc. rather than buying a whole/half animal though I did nearly buy half a pig once.... If what you've got works ok for you why change 'cos once you have more freezer space believe me you will fill it ;):D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure