PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I terminate my tenant's tenancy early for having an unauthorised pet?

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    You know what's bizarre - someone running a business with no knowledge of what's involved. Sell up and move on.

Some people have been brought up to be responsible - and it sometimes takes a while to realise there are quite a few others that havent had similar upbringing:cool::o:o
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Some people have been brought up to be responsible - and it sometimes takes a while to realise there are quite a few others that havent had similar upbringing:cool::o:o

Is that an excuse then? Just curious why your fiery judgment of morality only flows one way?
  • Soundgirlrocks
    Soundgirlrocks Posts: 746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 July 2017 at 2:34PM
    Options
    Tell them I have very valid reasons for specifying no pets in the contract - ie my allergy and protecting my garden from toileting and my home from smelling doggy and say that they had the shortest possible notice period I could legally give them to get out. Followed by telling them the costs they would already incur for new carpets/professional cleaning/any putting right the garden and that I suggested they don't try and "stand on their rights/forget their responsibilities" or I'd be looking to see if I could get compensation as well for problems/hassle they were causing me and see if I could ensure an accurate reference about them got passed onto potential future landlords.
    You clearly know nothing both the law around being a landlord as your comment I've highlighted in red shows. It stops being your home the moment you sign a contract with the tenant. You can not legally deduct from their deposit for new carpets - thats betterment, and you have no right to any compensation for what you perceive as "problems/hassle". Coupled with your suggestion the OP blackmail their tenants, and use intimidating and threatening behaviour I really hope no one has the misfortune to rent a property from you.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP, please, find yourself a basic landlording course somewhere reputable. Buy a good book. Read through G_M's links. Anything to get yourself up to speed. You are messing with someone's home. Take it seriously!
  • higgledypiggledy_pop
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    It's hardly harassment to stand outside on the street, or send some texts..... oh wait....

I admit that my neighbour is nosy but I was glad she told me about this as I am not happy at all. She took photos of the dog and sent them to me because of its appearance, she was afraid of it. She said it lunged at her on the pavement, but in reality I think that may be an exaggeration, as she also told me that my previous tenant was a 'lady of the night' seeing clients in the flat but in reality she just had a new boyfriend every three nights.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    You clearly know nothing both the law around being a landlord as your comment I've highlighted in red shows. It stops being your home the moment you sign a contract with the tenant. You can not legally deduct from their deposit for new carpets - thats betterment, and you have no right to any compensation for what you perceive as "problems/hassle". Coupled with your suggestion the OP blackmail their tenants, and use intimidating and threating behaviour I really hope no one has the misfortune to rent a property from you.

If you have any experience with that poster you should have known you could have stopped after the first four words.
  • lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I admit that my neighbour is nosy but I was glad she told me about this as I am not happy at all. She took photos of the dog and sent them to me because of its appearance, she was afraid of it. She said it lunged at her on the pavement, but in reality I think that may be an exaggeration, as she also told me that my previous tenant was a 'lady of the night' seeing clients in the flat but in reality she just had a new boyfriend every three nights.
    Post the pics so we can see then. Probably just a husky or malamute!
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    I admit that my neighbour is nosy but I was glad she told me about this as I am not happy at all. - your happiness is not relevant. She took photos of the dog and sent them to me because of its appearance, she was afraid of it. - her phobias are not relevant. She said it lunged at her on the pavement - why is she telling you? , but in reality I think that may be an exaggeration, as she also told me that my previous tenant was a 'lady of the night' seeing clients in the flat but in reality she just had a new boyfriend every three nights - so is unreliable as a witness...

One last time....

Them having a dog, of any breed, is not relevant. If you continue to spy on your neighbours, you could find yourself getting your collar felt.

I'd suggest you concentrate on your own responsibilities, as you are liable for a lot more than they are if things go wrong.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options

Sounds like just the kind of person you should be listening to.

Forget the dog; it's the least of your worries. Do as people have suggested and find out about the laws on renting.
  • higgledypiggledy_pop
    Options
    BINGO!

Take photos of the dog/recordings of it howling/etc and that's where you tell these tenants to forget about "standing on their rights - whilst carefully forgetting their responsibilities" and you'd like them out pronto or else you'll be going into that further.....

That's two lies they've told you now:eek:

I don't think I would be able to threaten them to report the dog, I can't prove that it's not legal just because it looks strange, I would have to find a way to test its DNA....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure