Reclaiming tax on PPI refund

how do get get the tax back that i paid on a PPI refund?

Comments

• If you are a non taxpayer then contact HMRC.

However, as you are working illegally, I'm not sure that's such a wise idea.
    mjane wrote: »
    i am classed as a worker, cash in hand £50pw position. im not on the payroll as an employee
  • If you are a "worker" who completes a self assessment tax return you just need to include the PPI interest and tax deducted on your return as you would with any other interest and any refund due will come back to you when you send your tax return to HMRC.
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite

However, as you are working illegally, I'm not sure that's such a wise idea.

There's nothing "illegal" about being paid cash in hand.

Indeed the DWP's own site advertises some such jobs.

Although you may wish to report an employer who you suspect isn't paying tax or NICs: www.gov.uk/report-cash-in-hand-pay

Whilst the Taylor Review did recommend abolishing cash in hand, both the Govt and Select Committee rejected the same given the reliance on cash by groups such as childminders, cleaners, window cleaners, gardeners, handymen, paperboys and those in rural areas without banks or internet access.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 14 September 2017 at 11:58PM
    Mersey wrote: »
    There's nothing "illegal" about being paid cash in hand.
    There is if the "employee" is not on the official payroll (or also claiming government benefits).

As we don't know either way, my advice that the OP might not want to bring this to the attention of HMRC still stands..
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    There is if the "employee" is not on the official payroll (or also claiming government benefits).

As we don't know either way, my advice that the OP might not want to bring this to the attention of HMRC still stands..

You admit you don't know...yet you assert the OP's "working illegally."

If the employer is avoiding tax & NICs, then yes, that is them acting unlawfully.

Nor would it be 'illegal' for the OP to claim Tax Credits or Universal Credit and be on a low income [the only exception being benefit fraud - but of course, there's no evidence of that by the OP either!]
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • Mersey wrote: »
    You admit you don't know...yet you assert the OP's "working illegally.
    Equally, you don't know that the opposite is the case, of course.

The other thread from which the information is gleaned reached a similar dead end.

As already stated, my comment that the OP might not want to bring this to the attention of HMRC will stand..
  • sun73
    sun73 Posts: 498 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    mjane wrote: »
    how do get get the tax back that i paid on a PPI refund?

Fill in HMRC claim form R40 either online or download and post, see gov.uk website
  • But if you are a "worker" who does (or should) complete self assessment returns then form R40 does not apply to you.
  • xeroxwizard
    xeroxwizard Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 6 June 2018 at 12:59AM
    I finally managed to claim back under Plevin from EGG/Barclaycard. However the letter and enclosed cheque was apparently sent to my old address. When I eventually found this out (by putting in repeat claims) the advisor has now arranged for it to be paid direct into my bank account. There was a £61.63 deduction for income tax on the Statutory Compensation amount of £308.16. Date of the award letter was 24 February 2018. We are now in a new tax year where my income is state pension only. My income for the previous year was much higher as I was still working and paying tax. Should I try to claim back the £61.63 tax by treating the £308.16 as income for this current tax year or not? Grateful for any advice..:hello:
  • Should I try to claim back the £60 tax as income for this year or not?

I doubt anyone on here is going to encourage fraud.

But basic rate taxpayers can receive a maximum of £5,999 in taxable interest and be charged a 0% tax rate on it. Even if you were paying higher rate tax you can get £500 taxed at 0%.

Tax of £60 indicates gross interest of £300 so highly likely no tax is due to be paid on it. This assumes you don't have any other interest and didn't have income of £150k+ last year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure