PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Ground floor flat next to bin and cycle storage

Options
Hi all,

My partner and I are currently looking at a help to buy new build flat and found one we really like. We have made an offer, had it countered and settled on a contribution to the stamp duty plus white goods. However nothing is signed yet or the reservation fee made.

Having looked over the development plans we realised that to one side of the flat (ground floor) are the bin and cycle stores and towards the back is the lift shaft.

Should this present alarm bells at all? Does anyone have experience of this kind of setting?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Cheeky_Monkey
    Options
    Can you tell how far away the bin store will be?

Personally, I would not want to live in a ground floor flat next to the bin store mainly because of the smell in the summer:eek:
  • bmlynch92
    Options
    Can you tell how far away the bin store will be?

Personally, I would not want to live in a ground floor flat next to the bin store mainly because of the smell in the summer:eek:

As far as I can tell it will be part of the building so right next to the flat (sharing 1 wall I believe)

That was my concern as well, although my partner mentioned the waste will be in bags then in bins and with a wall in between. Still slightly sceptical!
  • Mee
    Mee Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I live in a flat higher up which is 2-3 metres from a bin store.
    Smell has never been an issue, but noise can be - you may be up and out by the time the waste collectors do their rounds, here it is anytime between 06.45 - 07.45 (and sometimes later for recycling) twice a week. We also had issues with the lock which meant some people dumped waste outside; and before the lock was replaced some non-residents used it for recreational use.

Have you spoken to other residents, have you visited at different times of the day?
    Free thinker.:cool:
  • BorisThomson
    Options
    Have you checked the service charge for the block? You mention a lift and they can be costly to maintain, even when you make no use of it.

The apartment blocks near me have the big commercial bins. They are smelly but also noisy, you'll hear each time they're open and shut. It wouldn't be for me.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 September 2017 at 2:51PM
    Options
    I'd have said "no no no" for a lot of reasons.... noise, nuisance, fly tipping, late and early comers using the facilities etc.

But, I do know somebody who bought a house opposite a brick built bins shed used by a block of flats and they have had not the slightest issue whatsoever with nuisance/fly tippers...

Personally I'd not wish to sit at home knowing/hearing that all-comers were coming and going back and forth a few feet away ... potentially doing something they aren't supposed to be doing, or doing it noisily. I'd end up becoming anxious over 1-2 people's behaviour and 'fearing' every noise that "it could be them doing it again"....
  • bmlynch92
    Options
    Have you checked the service charge for the block? You mention a lift and they can be costly to maintain, even when you make no use of it.

The apartment blocks near me have the big commercial bins. They are smelly but also noisy, you'll hear each time they're open and shut. It wouldn't be for me.

This flat seems to have the lowest service charge of the block, it is a low rise development (4 floors) and the one we are looking at has it's own entrance.
    I'd have said "no no no" for a lot of reasons.... noise, nuisance, fly tipping, late and early comers using the facilities etc.

But, I do know somebody who bought a house opposite a brick built bins shed used by a block of flats and they have had not the slightest issue whatsoever with nuisance/fly tippers...

Personally I'd not wish to sit at home knowing/hearing that all-comers were coming and going back and forth a few feet away ... potentially doing something they aren't supposed to be doing, or doing it noisily. I'd end up becoming anxious over 1-2 people's behaviour and 'fearing' every noise that "it could be them doing it again"....

It is a brick build bin shed with a key/fob entry we have been told by the developers/sales people. For that reason I don't think I'd be too worried about fly tipping, but as you said the comings and goings in general near to you is beginning to put me off.

Thank you for the advice.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bmlynch92 wrote: »
    Having looked over the development plans we realised that to one side of the flat (ground floor) are the bin and cycle stores and towards the back is the lift shaft.

Should this present alarm bells at all? Does anyone have experience of this kind of setting?

Let's turn this around shall we? Why don't you list all of the advantages of living next to the bike shed and the bins....

Really, there aren't any?!?
  • black_wings
    Options
    OP - we live in a new build flat also with bin store and key fob similar to the situation you are describing. I wouldn't like to live on the ground floor - in the summer the bin store and all surrounding areas including the communal ground floor corridors STINK of bins and are swarming with massive flies.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    in my block I find my fellow residents just heap their rubbish next to the bins once they are full up. They're not too good about putting the right stuff in the right bins either which means that sometimes the council refuses to empty them. I am very glad the bins are on the opposite side to my flat. Mind you they are normal domestic wheelie bins rather than the skip type that more modern blocks get.

Much depends on how far the bins will impinge on your life. Will you have a window so you actually have to look at the things, and smell them if it all goes wrong? Will people and/or the council refuse collectors be traipsing past a window, impinging on your privacy and being noisy? Will operating the bins be noisy in itself?
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I absolutely would not move to this flat. You'll be listening to lifts and bin lids slamming all day long plus the bin collection chaos.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure