PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tenant Sadly Deceased

Comments

• mark5
    mark5 Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What would a local authority or housing association do in in this scenario?, I would do exactly the same if I were the OP.

If the tenant owned the house with a mortgage, the mortgage company would still expect payment, why should the op be any different, he's running a business not a charity.
  • Really don't get the hostility to the landlord here. Doesn't seem a bad sort
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    What a horrid site this must seem to new members like the OP. I'm embarrassed by some of the responses.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    mark5 wrote: »
    If the tenant owned the house with a mortgage, the mortgage company would still expect payment, why should the op be any different, he's running a business not a charity.
    Not sure that's really comparable, but anyway in practice lenders will tolerate monthly payments drying up for a while until the executors sort out probate and (possibly) marketing the property, as they know the loan will be redeemed reasonably soon. And if it isn't, they'd still need to go through the usual repossession procedures before they could evict, not just march in and clear out the deceased's stuff.
  • rtho782
    rtho782 Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    £750+VAT for a front door, is £900, which is what we paid for a high end composite door.

If you're paying that for a standard UPVC job, you're being ripped off.

But, if insurance won't cover you, nobody else will.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    mark5 wrote: »
    What would a local authority or housing association do in in this scenario?, I would do exactly the same if I were the OP

There are a few post on the probate board about councils hounding the relatives to pay the rent and get the stuff out in a week.
  • If you have been taking HB payments for any length of time you should be able to cover a new front door surely, it can`t be much more than a months HB payment? What would you have done in a case where the tenant smashed up the flat and left without paying rent?

The HB payments (after 10% agency fee deduction) is £324 pcm. The mortgage is £339 per month - so a £900 door is significant. Luckily I have personal savings I can use, but is a cost I could really do without at the moment.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    BaileySJ wrote: »
    The HB payments (after 10% agency fee deduction) is £324 pcm. The mortgage is £339 per month - so a £900 door is significant. Luckily I have personal savings I can use, but is a cost I could really do without at the moment.
    So that's £15/mo top-line loss, before any costs.

I have to say that it doesn't seem like the most sensible of business plans you have...
    45002 Posts: 802 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    BaileySJ wrote:

Hope you don't mind me asking have you or EA informed the housing benefit dept that the tenant has passed away, If not you need to ..
    Advice given on Assured and Regulated Tenancy, Further advice should always be sought from a Solicitor....
  • 45002 wrote: »
    Hope you don't mind me asking have you or EA informed the housing benefit dept that the tenant has passed away, If not you need to ..

Hi - yes the department was contacted by the letting agent and myself - the payments were made directly to the agents rather than the tenant in this instance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure