Microsoft Word

aardvaak
aardvaak Posts: 5,833 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
I have Office 2003 with has Microsoft Word on my computer and have been sent a file using Word 2007.

Can someone please let me have to link for the converstion tool to enable me to print it.

Comments

• bengalknights
    bengalknights Posts: 5,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    It can be found here, although your automatic updates should have installed it years ago!

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=3
  • aardvaak
    It can be found here, although your automatic updates should have installed it years ago!

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=3

When I download and open that it says there are no products on this device applicable - my update centre says there is a update for office 2003 but it keeps failing
  • Ainsley1
    Ainsley1 Posts: 404 Forumite
    I assume you did the instructed high priority updates first (did they install ok?)

However when I had to do the compatibility install recently (after loading office 2003 again on a new pc) I located the downlpad for 2007 office compatibility pack and that worked fine.

Not sure where I found it now but answers.microsoft.com has a link to http://getintopc.com/softwares/office-tools/office-compatibility-pack-free-download/
  • aardvaak
    Ainsley1 wrote: »
    I assume you did the instructed high priority updates first (did they install ok?)

However when I had to do the compatibility install recently (after loading office 2003 again on a new pc) I located the downlpad for 2007 office compatibility pack and that worked fine.

Not sure where I found it now but answers.microsoft.com has a link to http://getintopc.com/softwares/office-tools/office-compatibility-pack-free-download/

Thank you, where do I find the high priority updates?
  • codger
    codger Posts: 2,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you can't find the link, do what we do: have Word (ours is from the Office Professional 2000 suite) on your pooter and also, any one of the freebie word processors out there. Most of them will handle .docx files and none of them are big downloads or heavy on resources when used.

A certain Chinese company did a thoroughly good job of exactly emulating Microsoft Word's 2000 - 2003 offerings on the basis of pure, er, coincidence. The version we have is the best of the coincidental ones; Kingsoft Writer 2013 (version 9.1.0.4550).

It's still available on the 'Net if you have a look around, and it's preferable to later Kingsoft versions which, just like Microsoft's own offering, are irritating bloatware. We don't use it a lot, but it's handy to have around when .docx drop in and a simple right click 'Open with' gets it up and running.

If you do go with any Kingsoft product though, make sure you have WinPatrol Free installed (or similar), this to disable the Kingsoft software from auto-starting with your computer.
  • Ainsley1
    Ainsley1 Posts: 404 Forumite
    Find the update on that link Ben posted ^^^^ under 'details' and part way down that expanded section.....
  • codger
    codger Posts: 2,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ainsley1 wrote: »
    Find the update on that link Ben posted ^^^^ under 'details' and part way down that expanded section.....

Not sure why that particular website offer of a compatibility pack claims to work with everything from Microsoft Office 2000 onwards, because it doesn't. I've just checked it out by downloading, installing and activating, and although it said it was fully installed: guess what? I went to Microsoft Word (the word processing component of my Office 2000 Professional suite) and no way could I save any document as a .docx.

I'll stick with using two word processors -- Kingsoft's for opening the occasional .docx file -- and Word for everything else.

I purchased Office 2000 in July of 1999 and all these years later, it's as good now as it was then, with nothing like the stupid clutter that Microsoft's wannabe engineers loaded it with as time went by purely to demonstrate that if they can do it, they will. (Ribbon, huh? Yes. Right. I seem to remember the lady who oversaw that particular Redmond brilliance. . . wonder where she is now?)

I've just uninstalled.

This isn't a criticism of Ben's link, by the way. It's just that in an age when Microsoft would dearly like everyone to junk what they have and use only what Microsoft thinks they should use -- Windows 10, anyone? -- I'm happier than ever with a software suite purchased 18 years ago and, to Microsoft's chagrin, still doing fine. :)
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    If you have a Microsoft account you should be able to open and print it using Word online.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Do you want office 2007 ?? If so ill PM you a link and a key - No charge, i have loads spare unused
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure