PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help for cloudy wine glasses!

Comments

• Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Finish do a crystal that you clip on to the inside of the machine which is supposed to stop this happening. It lasts for a long time. If the glasses have been permanently etched, then there's not a lot you can do I don't think other than to throw them away and start again with new ones. If you think it might just be limescale though, then maybe soak them in a solution of vinegar overnight, then wask by hand in hot soapy water, and dry with a clean tea towel
  • robnye
    robnye Posts: 5,411 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    re salt- keep it topped up.

some are cheap ones - so could be they are marked for ever, will try the vinegar solution overnight on one......

many thanks
    smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to.... ;) :cool:
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Run the machine through a cleaning cycle with some of the finish bottles of stuff.. or for a cheaper option contact a dealer they do about 15 sachets of cleaning stuff for about £10 and you should use one at least!!! once a month.

It sounds like the filters and internal pipes are getting clagged up with slime.. which is quite common if you always use the lowest energy cycle..

If it is still under warranty you could probably get a service.. either very cheaply or free if you 'report a fault'.. tell them it is blocked or something.. free annual service. lol
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • homealone_2
    homealone_2 Posts: 2,004 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    my son has the habit of putting all our glassware in the dishwasher and it come out with a smoky stain effect on it that looks awful, i just bought a lovely jug and glass set and warned him not to dishwash them and yes you guessed it, he did. i have tried washing it in just some warm soapy water and it has not shifted it. had hoped that as it had only gone in once it would have been easier to remove (given up all hope on the others). can anyone suggest anything else i can try????
  • wssla00
    wssla00 Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    Hmm not for these ones, but I wash all my glassware in my dishwasher. I use however a vinegar rinse which helps them stay sparkly!

Perhaps try a soak in a vinegar hot water mix?
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi homealone,

I don't have a dishwasher so can't advise you but there's an earlier thread that may help so I've added your thread to it to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,614 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 March 2010 at 12:00AM
    my mum always washes drinking glasses by hand and refuses to put them in the dishwasher. i dont have a dishwasher so dont have a choice - but i do agree that glasses will do better in the sink than the dishwasher. if you are washing up by hand you would do your glasses first before the plates and pots, in a dishwasher everything goes in together and is blasted with chemicals formulated to to blast off burned food residue and heavy duty grease off pots and pans - you would not put you delicates in a boil wash with your towels!!
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • We had glasses that went cloudy in the dishwasher due to lack of salt in the machine i think is there any way i clean then and get then clear again?
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    We had glasses that went cloudy in the dishwasher due to lack of salt in the machine i think is there any way i clean then and get then clear again?

No idea, sorry. As this has fallen from the front page of OS, I'll add it to the existing thread to see if you can find the answer there.
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • The_Thrilla
    The_Thrilla Posts: 1,021 Forumite
    I am told Steradent, but I wouldn't know because I have all my own teeth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure