Barclaycard Cashback removing the 1% Amex card

Comments

• darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Just got my letter today. Disappointed. Will have to look at what options are available to replace it. I still have my Aqua Cashback card paying 0.5% as I have been using that abroad due to the no fees for purchases.
  • isasmurf
    isasmurf Posts: 1,999 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As a temporary alternative for those with a TSB Classic Plus account, the TSB Platinum Mastercard offers 1% cashback on the first £500 of monthly spend to June 2018, and 0% on purchases for up to 20 months.
  • Marchitiello
    Marchitiello Posts: 1,266 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    The terms & conditions "summary of changes" box says the payment network is changing from Amex & Visa to Visa only so safe to assume it will be a Visa.

Like many here, I've had this card since it was Egg Money (oh for 4% on credit balances now!) - feels like the end of an era. I'll have a look at options but may well stick with it for non Amex spends.

You are right, I read the second page shorthly after writing my previous post and realised it clearly stated the new card will be Visa only.

I have my own reason to keep it but unless other members have better Visa/MasterCard deals I do not agree that getting an Amex issued card and cancelling/closing this one is the solution, as it should still be a good fall back for where Amex is not accepted.
  • planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    i'll keep the Barclaycard Visa as a spending backup, but only because it is also a backup for balance transfers some time next year when my current MBNA deal comes to an end.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I got the letter today, I wonder if they will start throwing money at complaining customers to keep their accounts open - like the last time they downgraded the cashback?

I will keep the card for now as 0.5% is better than nothing and their balance transfer fees always seem lower than other banks - something to consider going forward.
  • mattyprice4004
    mattyprice4004 Posts: 7,492 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    That's a shame - I'm a sole trader and earn around £70 a month using the Amex 1% cashback.
    Just got my letter too.
  • TheEffect
    TheEffect Posts: 2,293 Forumite
    Not received my letter yet, but use the AMEX cashback as my primary card. Not sure there's much point switching to Lloyds AMEX/MC duo, as that will most likely follow suit.

Direct AMEX and Barclaycard Visa backup probably best option.
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    My two letters arrived today!
  • Marchitiello
    Marchitiello Posts: 1,266 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    TheEffect wrote: »
    Not received my letter yet, but use the AMEX cashback as my primary card. Not sure there's much point switching to Lloyds AMEX/MC duo, as that will most likely follow suit.

Direct AMEX and Barclaycard Visa backup probably best option.

Not sure about that.
    Barclaycard only launched a partner card with Amex in 2013 and it looks like it only lasted 4 years.

Lloyds launched the Airmiles duo card (Amex/MasterCard, now Avios- which at the time replaced the NatWest Airmiles Visa/MasterCard duo) in June 2007, so almost 10 years ago
  • TheEffect
    TheEffect Posts: 2,293 Forumite
    Not sure about that.
    Barclaycard only launched a partner card with Amex in 2013 and it looks like it only lasted 4 years.

Lloyds launched the Airmiles duo card (Amex/MasterCard, now Avios- which at the time replaced the NatWest Airmiles Visa/MasterCard duo) in June 2007, so almost 10 years ago

Lloyds constantly decline me. I had the Avios card with them a year or so ago, tried to churn it, been declined ever since.

Nothing wrong with my credit report, no problem getting any of the AMEX cards.

I wonder if Barclaycard will just cancel the AMEX and let us use the same VISA card, or whether we'll all receive new VISA cards.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure