Help With Student Loans - HERE!

Comments

• Karnam
    Karnam Posts: 1,177 Forumite
    how can this still be a loan? i know that the means testing means i didnt have to pay any tuition fees before, as it was LEA funded, i didnt even have to borrow to pay the fees, has this changed? do the SLC assess my partner or my parents now? im still under 25 and unmarried but i have a daughter now and claim CTC with my partner.
    :A Boots Tart :A
  • slcworker
    slcworker Posts: 18 Forumite
    yes, your partner will need to be assessed. As he is within the household. The government changed the law on how much the uni's can charge on tuition. Therefore we now provide a loan. which is very unfair if u ask me!!

Part time students get a £250.00 grant and tuition fees if entitled, but can get further help from uni and Local Authority. A loan is available only when on placement.
  • Karnam
    do LEA's no longer pay the tuition fees for low income OLD students before tuition fees went up?

how much help/student loan will i get if partner and my income is 18k and we have a baby?
  • slcworker
    Im not sure why they dont still pay them, its really just a decision by the DFES.
    18K should ensure nearly full help. and some grant. but it depends on the exact figures. You'd be best just to apply and see, or try our online calculator. x x
  • Karnam
    sorry i dont mean to hijack your thread but

Students from households with a residual household income of less than £22,560 are entitled to the full fee remission grant

what is a full fee remission grant? does this mean i dont pay fees upfront or after? grant implies i dont have to pay it back...
  • slcworker
    to be honest ive never heard of the full fee remission grant. that may be something from the LEA, but as far as i know the tuition fees are now to be funded by the loan of 2700 (1200 for continuing students) and £300 grants which is income assessed.
  • Esoog
    Esoog Posts: 1,489 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    This might be an LEA thing to be honest, but is there any chance you can get your loan paid early? If you can prove you're in trouble.?

Last year my loan installment was paid on the 4th April, this year it won't be till the 24th for some reason, can I ring up and plead poverty?
  • slcworker
    Esoog wrote:
    This might be an LEA thing to be honest, but is there any chance you can get your loan paid early? If you can prove you're in trouble.?

Last year my loan installment was paid on the 4th April, this year it won't be till the 24th for some reason, can I ring up and plead poverty?

This is an SLC thing, we deal with the payments etc. Im afraid they dont change any payment dates. I disagree with this, as its your money, but im afraid its the rules. There is no flexibility with this rule im afraid. But if speak to ur uni, there is help available in the form of a hardship loan. x good luck
  • Esoog
    Esoog Posts: 1,489 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    curse them! :mad: :mad:

Any idea why the payment date has changed by 20 days?
  • slcworker
    im not sure why that is, as far as i know, it goes with the changes in when ur term starts etc....generally we blame the LEA and they blame us....but i think its to do with the term starts.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback