Halifax Saver Prize Draw - anyone won yet?

Comments

• Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Malthusian wrote: »
    Au contraire, a lottery is the perfect example of a pipe dream. When you buy a lottery ticket (or open a savings account which pays interest in lottery tickets instead of cash) you are buying a fantasy; the right to sit there dreaming about suddenly being rich, without actually doing anything that might lead to becoming rich. (Buying the lottery ticket doesn't count due to its infinitesimal probability.)

This is distinct from someone fantasising about getting rich by becoming a professional footballer or starting their own business or taking an Open University law degree, because there's a non-infinitestimal chance that their fantasy might lead to them actually going and doing it. Pipe dreams by contrast are the kind of dreams you have while lying in bed smoking an opium pipe, that lead to nothing as they vanish with the stupor.

Er, no, not a pipe dream for 71,900 people - no vanishing with the stupor for them:
    We’ve already paid out over £42.9 million in prizes so far to 71,900 winners across Great Britain
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    You don't buy lottery tickets because you dream of winning £100. The pipe dream is the £500,000 and the chance of winning it is infinitesimal.
  • the_mandarin
    the_mandarin Posts: 108 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Malthusian wrote: »
    Au contraire, a lottery is the perfect example of a pipe dream. When you buy a lottery ticket (or open a savings account which pays interest in lottery tickets instead of cash) you are buying a fantasy; the right to sit there dreaming about suddenly being rich, without actually doing anything that might lead to becoming rich. (Buying the lottery ticket doesn't count due to its infinitesimal probability.)

Funnily enough, I have won the lottery on more than one occasion although I do not buy the lottery tickets regularly. I do admit that the amounts that I won in the lottery were small, but the point is that I still won something back. This just confirms my suspicion that the Halifax Savers Draw is hardly appealing as a scheme to attract savers, which is perhaps what newer members wanting to park their money in Halifax might want to know.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,938 Forumite
    But it's hardly news that with the National Lottery, Premium Bonds and Halifax's prize draw, there is a small chance of winning something.

In each case, these institutions publish information about the prize fund and its allocation so the actual odds of winning something will inevitably vary, but you seem to be trying to differentiate the Halifax draw solely on the basis that you don't personally know any winners!
  • the_mandarin
    Not knowing anyone personally made me suspicious, but the replies on this forum, in some ways, confirmed by suspicions.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Not knowing anyone personally made me suspicious, but the replies on this forum, in some ways, confirmed by suspicions.

Ray Sutton won £300,000.
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-3025526/We-won-300-000-bank-s-Superdraw-feel-lucky-s-time-play-raft-accounts-scoop-big-prizes-without-risk.html

Winning a lottery jackpot is 14 million to one.

Winning a Halifax jackpot is approximately 2 million to one.
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    A customer in the area won the 100,000 and he bought a grey parrot called Halifax.

I see about 4 customers a month claiming prizes, but never the high amount, but the super draw made more people winners, its sold as a lottery type of savings, and no pressure to keep money in accounts if you want to move the money.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • eskbanker
    That's a pretty bizarre interpretation when you were trying to insinuate that nobody wins and yet, when all the other posters have explained that (a) there is plenty of clear evidence of winners and (b) the prize fund distribution is as transparent as such things can be, you're now trying to make out that you've been vindicated in some way! How does that work then?
  • the_mandarin
    eskbanker wrote: »
    That's a pretty bizarre interpretation when you were trying to insinuate that nobody wins and yet, when all the other posters have explained that (a) there is plenty of clear evidence of winners and (b) the prize fund distribution is as transparent as such things can be, you're now trying to make out that you've been vindicated in some way! How does that work then?

Firstly, this thread was started as a question with the sole purpose of asking if anyone on this forum had won anything.

Secondly, I am not promoting or advertising any kind of draw/lottery to compete with the Halifax draw, so whichever way the chips fall did not affect me in any way.

And lastly, I am not trying to vindicate myself as I never started off on a mission to prove anything in the first place. But I am sure I am within my rights to draw my own conclusions, based on the responses posted by other members. If you reach a different conclusion based on the same comments, that is your right and I have nothing to add to that.
  • eskbanker
    Of course everyone's entitled to their opinions, but if yours is "I think this competition is bent and nothing anyone can say will change my view" then it's misleading to pretend that it's "based on the facts posted it's logical to conclude that it's bent"!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback