Ombudsman rejected S75 Claim for £12,250.What next?

onyx911
onyx911 Posts: 108 Forumite
Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
edited 23 November 2017 at 2:07PM in Consumer rights
The complaint related to a kitchen ordered through a local kitchen store. The kitchen ordered on 14 December 2015 was by a well known manufacturer. The price for the kitchen and appliances were £24,500 and the deposit paid on 14 December 2015 was £12,250. The deposit was paid by Tesco Mastercard (£250) and debit card (£12,000). The Seller required 12 weeks notice to place the order with the manufacturer. At this stage, the Seller was well aware that we were in the early stages of a construction project to extend our house and kitchen.
Due to very poor workmanship, the building project was halted in April 2016 and the builder's contract terminated. The builder had not complied with any of the Building Regulations and the Local Council required the partially completed extension to be demolished and rebuilt. I was out over £26,000 and therefore entered into litigation with the builder and private building control inspector in August 2016. The Seller was kept informed of events at regular intervals. The litigation was settled almost in full in January 2017.

I notified the Seller in November 2016 that a new builder had been appointed and the building project would commence in January 2017. At this stage of our litigation, the settlement negotiations were well underway and we were able to appoint a new builder.

On 5 November 2016 I received an e mail from the Seller notifying me that certain doors/units we had ordered are no longer available and those parts of the kitchen design would need to be amended. I met with the Seller’s design manager on the 26 November 2016 and discussed various proposals, none of which I accepted but stated that I was open to further suggestions. The Seller suggested that an alternative supplier could make the kitchen but the price of the kitchen had gone up by £2,400. The new manufacturer is one that I had never heard of whereas the one previously selected was is a widely recognised kitchen brand.
I informed him that we did not want to proceed with the alternative brand and required the refund of our deposit.
In the e mail dated 14 December 2016, I stated that this sale is covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015. Under Chapter 2, Section 11, the goods are to be as described and any changes made after entering into a contract are not effective unless expressly agreed between the consumer and trader. The material changes here are the change of manufacturer of the new units and the significant price difference between the price we agreed. Essentially, we are no longer being offered the kitchen we contracted to buy.
The Seller has refused to refund the deposit.
I then made a claim to Tesco Mastercard in January 2017 under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. Tesco responded with their final decision and have also refused to refund the deposit on the basis that they do not believe the Seller has breached the contract. Tesco are also relying on various terms of the Contract which do not comply with the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and therefore cannot be enforced for example the seller's right to charge an increased price and substitute the product. I then made a claim to the Financial Ombudsman I set out below the basis of Tesco’s refusal and why I believe them to be incorrect.
Tesco state that they are unable to see where the merchant has breached or misrepresented the contract. They failed to consider the clauses of the Consumer Rights Act that I had pointed them to.

1. The Consumer Rights Act 2015 Chapter 2, Section 11 states that the goods are to be as described and any changes made after entering into a contract are not effective unless expressly agreed between the Consumer and Trader.

3 Part 2 Section 62 (1) of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 states that an unfair term of a consumer contract is not binding on the customer. Schedule 2 of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 deems the following may be unfair, (12) allowing the trader to decide the characteristics of the subject matter of the contract after the consumer is bound, (14) allowing the trader discretion to set the price after the consumer is bound, where no price or method of determining the price is agreed when the consumer is bound, (15) allowing the trader to increase the price of goods without giving the consumer the right to cancel the contract if the final price is too high in relation to the price agreed when the contract was concluded.

Part 2 Section 62 (4) of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 states that a term is unfair, if contrary to the requirement of good faith, it causes a significant imbalance in the parties’ rights and obligations under the contract to the detriment of the customer.

It appears both Tesco and the Ombudsman are looking purely at whether there was any wrong doing on the part of the retailer. They maintain that the retailer did nothing wrong in this instance. We don’t disagree however it seems clear that the change of product and increased cost do not comply with the Consumer Rights Act. We surely can’t be bound to a contract where the item we contracted to buy isn’t available and the seller can substitute it for any other brand and at any other cost and we just have to pay? The increase in £2,400 being 10% is no small amount.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Get a solicitor?
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    The seller has done nothing wrong, the problem is the circumstances have meant there has been an unforeseen significant delay on your part that has caused the problem. Circumstances are irrelevant, it's a problem between you and the builder and not the kitchen sellers fault.

If the kitchen seller had caused the delays and the units went obsolete in this timeframe then you might have had a case but it's not a breach of contract by them that has caused this problem.
  • onyx911
    Thanks for the reply. But does that mean I now have to buy any kitchen of the seller's choosing for any price that he wants? Seems unlikely.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,075 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    onyx911 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. But does that mean I now have to buy any kitchen of the seller's choosing for any price that he wants? Seems unlikely.

No. You can accept the alternative supplier who can make what you want for the same price.

Just because you do not recognise the brand name doesn't mean they are shoddy. It is probably just as good, and might even be better!

Accept the perfectly valid offer on the table, get it all fitted, and if it is not up to the quality specified, THEN complain.

At the moment, they are doing their best to compromise on an issue that was not their fault.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • onyx911
    It wasn't the same price. It was £2,400 more initially and once we complained to Tesco, the Seller said he had absorbed much of the price increase caused by Brexit/Exchange rate and was no longer willing to do so therefore the new price was significantly more than £2,400. It was already a 10% increase.
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    edited 8 June 2017 at 9:40PM
    It wasn't the same price. It was £2,400 more initially and once we complained to Tesco, the Seller said he had absorbed much of the price increase caused by Brexit/Exchange rate and was no longer willing to do so therefore the new price was significantly more than £2,400. It was already a 10% increase.
    No you said he found another supplier for the units, it was nearly a year from you stopping the job to restarting, in that time prices would have gone up and a different supplier will have different prices
  • onyx911
    I'm grateful for all your replies, thank you for taking the time.

I'm still struggling to get my head around how I should have to commit to paying upwards of £2,400 extra rather than be able to get my money back and buy something cheaper. The Seller had the money for over a year and it's not like we're asking for interest. Just the same amount back. We did pay a separate design fee for their time which isn't part of the deposit.

I've never said any of this was the seller's fault however the Consumer Rights Act clearly does say it may be unfair (14) allowing the trader discretion to set the price after the consumer is bound, where no price or method of determining the price is agreed when the consumer is bound, (15) allowing the trader to increase the price of goods without giving the consumer the right to cancel the contract if the final price is too high in relation to the price agreed when the contract was concluded.

In the interests of completeness, I should add that the units that were discontinued were the internal curves and a key feature of the design - the seller agrees they were a key feature of the design of this kitchen before you all dispute this ;)
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    edited 8 June 2017 at 10:39PM

I've never said any of this was the seller's fault however the Consumer Rights Act clearly does say it may be unfair (14) allowing the trader discretion to set the price after the consumer is bound, where no price or method of determining the price is agreed when the consumer is bound, (15) allowing the trader to increase the price of goods without giving the consumer the right to cancel the contract if the final price is too high in relation to the price agreed when the contract was concluded.
    but you cancelled the initial contract when you stopped the work, then nearly a year later you want them to start the work again, so this would form a new contract and in the meantime the items you wanted were discontinued so new products had to be sourced from a new supplier, which costs more.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I'm afraid you aren't going to get anywhere with the retailer now that the Ombudsman has ruled in their favour.

You could go to court, but I don't fancy your chances. Read the other responses to this thread.
  • onyx911
    edited 8 June 2017 at 10:46PM
    If I cancelled the contract then surely I should have my money back?? This is the crux of the dispute, that I'm not able to cancel the contract. If I was able to cancel the contract I wouldn't be writing this post.

Also, I don't want them to re-start the work. I want a refund.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure