Pipes or water and radiator

The plumber has fitted pipes for water and rad in wetroom. I had expected these to be copper, but they seem to be white bendy plastic.

The next step will be to lay screed., and I will have vinyl on top of this. Are the white plastic pipes OK, or should I ask for these to be changed to copper?

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    They'll be fine.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    It's called Push Fit. A lot of people use it. It's cheaper and quicker to fit. You'll find it everywhere in new builds.

It's not for me, but if you want copper, expect to pay for it. Some plumbers who use Push Fit may not be able to fit copper.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • andyhop
    andyhop Posts: 1,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The lime in the screed will rot the copper in no time

Plastic should be tube in tube so should a fault occur a new pipe can be drawn through without digging up your floor
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    They'll be fine.

How long can I expect these to last? I don't want to have to dig up the floor.

Will Building Control inspect these?
  • andyhop
    andyhop Posts: 1,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    It's called Push Fit. A lot of people use it. It's cheaper and quicker to fit. You'll find it everywhere in new builds.

It's not for me, but if you want copper, expect to pay for it. Some plumbers who use Push Fit may not be able to fit copper.

Hep20 is 3x the cost of soldered copper fittings , I don't believe it'll last 50yrs given the brake pipes of your car which have a lifespan of 10yrs is the same stuff the sealing ring is made off

A plumber that can only fit push fit ain't a plumber !
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • Alex1983
    Alex1983 Posts: 958 Forumite
    I'm not a lover of plastic on heating systems, the dirt in the system tends to stick to the inside of the pipe and then breaks off in lumps and creates a tea leaf effect which has a habit of causing blockages and restrictions.

If it's changed to copper and then has concrete over it, it will need to be wrapped or better put in a boxing to protect from corrosion.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    My grammar was incorrect. I was saying that Push Fit is not for me. The labour is more intensive with copper and people are differently trained, therefore expect to pay more for copper. The inference that it is used on new builds is that it is cheaper.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    andyhop wrote: »
    The lime in the screed will rot the copper in no time

Plastic should be tube in tube so should a fault occur a new pipe can be drawn through without digging up your floor

Are you saying there is already a tube within the tube I can see? Or that a new one could be pushed through in the event of a leak in the future?
  • Alex1983
    Alex1983 Posts: 958 Forumite
    If this pipe is put in concrete and for some reason it leaks you will not be able to get it out without removing the concrete. Plastic put in concrete should be one continuous piece of pipe so is very unlikely to leak.

If it worries you then get the 15mm plastic to be put inside a bigger plastic pipe so it can be pulled out without removing the concrete.
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Alex1983 wrote: »
    If this pipe is put in concrete and for some reason it leaks you will not be able to get it out without removing the concrete. Plastic put in concrete should be one continuous piece of pipe so is very unlikely to leak.

If it worries you then get the 15mm plastic to be put inside a bigger plastic pipe so it can be pulled out without removing the concrete.

Best bit of advice I have seen on here for years............
    :T:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport