Bank Charges Success Stories II

Comments

• Bank: HSBC (Business Account)
    Claim: £1604 (without statutory interest)
    Offer: £1561.92

I have taken great pleasure and comfort(!?) over the last few months in reading this particular thread. It has been just fantastic watching what the power of the internet can do (could you imagine this happening 10/15 years ago?)
    1. Started process in March 2007, but didn't send first letter until beginning of May (lots of other stuff going on)
    2. Received reply 15th May saying that HSBC didn't agree that charges unlawful etc., etc., etc. But, willing to make offer of £758
    3. Offer rejected (of course)
    4. Letter Before Action sent 21st May
    5. Received letter 6th June stating original offer still stands - go away.
    6. Decided to go Financial Ombudsman route because had (and still do) claim against LloydsTSB which cost me £250 in court costs, so couldn't afford to go that way.
    7. Filled in form from FOS website - nice and easy with help from Consumer Action Group site
    8. Received confirmation of receipt of claim 12th June
    9. Received letter from FOS 26th June saying they had contacted HSBC telling them to either pay up or provide information to aid an investigation!
    10. Today, 12th July, received letter from FOS saying HSBC would like to settle dispute by offering £1561.92 (weird figure?)
    11. Offer accepted!
    Whole process, once backside in gear, probably took 2 1/2 months.

The weird figure is because HSBC discounted 7 charges valuing either £4 or £8 each plus statutory interest from my original claim. Unfortunately, I didn't clearly ask for the statutory interest to be taken into account on FOS form. So, if you are going to take same route perhaps you will be more careful. Anyhow I am pleased with the outcome.

Martin, your whole site is one of the best on the web and richly deserves any and all accolades it receives. This particular part is, of course, one of the most popular. When I heard you on talkSPORT earlier in the year and checked up on my own charges I was absolutely gobsmacked at the amount I had been charged on my business, personal accounts, loans and mortgage when I was in financial trouble. The emotion I felt brought all the old dark feelings back again (even now as I write, I am getting abit of a flashback!). My story is no doubt similar to others who have been or are in debt. Debt is HORRIBLE. Once it takes hold it is incredibly difficult to get out of. We ended up selling our house to get back onto an even keel.

Financial institutions DO NOT help. They are interested only in profit and boy, do they make one! It is only the vulnerable who suffer at their hands.

Martin, between your site and CAG, you are truly a hero for the common people. OBE, MBE, knighthood - any or all would be a worthy reward!

Thank you to you and your team and all who contribute to this site.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

(Next stop - LloydsTSB, Northern Rock, GEMoney)
  • Bank: Barclays
    Amount Reclaimed:£740

Amount they paid: £500
    The story:Used Martins templates, First letter sent in March, statements received in May, claim letter went in by registered post within days of receiving my statements. Got a letter back saying it will take them 8 weeks to reply, and they would make a decision by 12th July. Heard nothing else til this morning, when received a letter offering me a £500 goodwill gesture. its funny cos I'd all but given up when the good news arrived. Now I've posted my acceptance back, wonder how long it will take them to put the money in my account. Says on letter it will be within 14-21 days, so I guessing it will be the full 21 days?!!:beer: :money: :T :rotfl:
  • Bank: Natwest
    Reclaimed: £3,761.00
    Offer: £3,430.00

Many many thanks MSE for all the help and support i've found on the site while claiming. Took about 8 weeks from start til offer.

Would encourage anyone who is thinking about doing it to go for it!

Thanks again everyone!!!!

Dave
  • Lloyds TSB

Amount claimed: £4327.00

Amount awarded: £4527.00

After initiating proceedings in March the matter was eventually transferred to my local court after Lloyds TSB stated they would be defending. The defence was the usual blurb about terms and conditions which would have little effect on defending a claim.

After receiving a letter from Defence solicitors in early May requesting details of the charges being reclaimed i prepared a schedule and responded almost by return. The letter was 'without prejudice' etc and they indicated that it was their clients intention to negotiate settlement. (i was never going to accept anything short of the whole amount plus interest), however i never heard from them again.

Served copy statements and schedules on defence and court 14 days before proceedings (Recorded delivery). Turned up at court and no-one representing Lloyds TSB present. District Judge very helpful awarded case to me with additional costs for attending together with further interest accrued since proceedings taken out.

Order made for Lloyds to pay in full within two weeks.

This now brings totals successfully reclaimed to just under £10,000 so well worth the effort. Dont let the Banks fob you off because that is virtually their only tactic. Read up Martins advice and move it forward - it's your money!

Good luck & thanks Martin for your leads!
  • waterboy2
    waterboy2 Posts: 30 Forumite
    BANK yorkshire bank
    AMOUNT CLAIMED.£1020.90
    AMOUNT PAID.£1020.90
    requested statements in may received about 45 days later.sent my first letter detailing charges etc.received a response in the form of our charges are fair etc.wrote another letter giving them 7 days to pay up or i was filing for court.never heard no more within that week.filed for court 2 weeks later they said they were going to defend.1 day later received my offer in the post.yippee.never thought i was going to get it back and i am with a dmp with payplan and yorkshire bank were one of my creditors.
    massive thanks to martin and everybody who gives the info top people.fight for your money its yours.
  • SDJones_2
    SDJones_2 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Bank: HSBC
    Amount Reclaimed: £1,282

Amount they paid: £1,153.80
    I had to wait for the full eight weeks for the HSBC to finally pay up.
    It would of been nice to have the full amount but I have found this offer acceptable.
  • hvr1
    hvr1 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Bank: royal bank of scotland
    claimed: £3,760.00 (plus interest of £1465.23) total: £5225.23
    received: £3,760.00

Story:

17/03/07: sent 1st letter requesting £5225.23
    28/03/07: letter recvd from RBS saying they would look into claim.
    17/04/07: sent 2nd letter threatening court - no reply.
    24/04/07: sent 3rd letter with settlement figure of £3,800 - no reply.
    03/05/07: rang 0845 3030442 to query why no response - was told claim
    had been VALIDATED but would receive offer letter 8wks after
    their 1st letter.
    24/05/07: 8 wks to the day of their 1st letter recvd offer of £3,760.00 (full
    claim, but no interest).

********* ACCEPTED OFFER :beer: BANK A/C NOT CLOSED********

07/06/07 :j £3,760.00 PUT IN MY ACCOUNT :j

VERY CHUFFED, VERY EASY, RBS WERE VERY HELPFUL
  • HAlifax Bank
    Amount claimed: £257.00
    Amount received: £287.50
    I started this process on 04/06/2007 and sent the first letter accordingly. I received the usual stuff you letter from Customer Services and sent a second letter and received another stuff you letter.
    I filed via moneyclaim and received a letter offerring me £113.00. I called and stated that I was not prepared to accept that offer. The person from customer services who pretended not to be in initially offered £200.00 as a final offer. I refused to accept unless I had this in writing and was told to do whatever.
    To my surprise on 09/07/2007, I received a letter telling me that I accepted £200.00. i called prepared to fight as I was depressed that the bank had acknowledged that that were going to fight ( I think they were hoping that I would back off).
    When I called to speak to someone in authority I was informed that they had paid 226 plus interest plus the £30.00 pounds that I paid but they were not accepting liability.
    I don't really care . I am just happy and am filing a claim after natwest who are playing games. The whole process took 5 weeks.
  • Bank: Lloyds TSB
    Amount claimed: £2,700
    Amount not paid-They have another 9 days before I send in the bailiffs

Started the whole process a good couple of months ago. All previous letters ignored so i thought it would have to go to court. I commenced court proceedings on the internet and paid my £120 as martin advised, I received a letter saying that their solicitors (scam) requested the court hearing be moved to Grimsby (Costing me another £100.00) had to file my paperwork 2 weeks before the case (With their solicitors and also at court) this cost me a fortune in photocopying, but it was worth it!!
    On the day of the hearing I turned up 10 minutes early trembling with anticipation, weighed down by my paperwork and waited...... I was called into the court room and awarded the case as the Solicitors-scam and Lloyds TSB had not turned up.
    They were given 14 days to pay up and have 9 days left before I call in the bailiffs-Are you on standby martin?
    Onward and upward!!!
  • debs81
    debs81 Posts: 78 Forumite
    Bank - Halifax
    Amount Claimed - 2255
    Amount Received - 2255

Sent One Letter To Halifax But Dismissed Complaint Cause Of Terms And Conditions Etc So Went Straight To Financial Ombudsman End Of May. Received Letter From Them This Morning Saying Halifax Will Cough Up The Full Amount Even Though I Told Fo I Would Accept £2000 Without Having To Take It Court. Result!!! Not Bad For Only One Letter And One Complaints Form.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure