Can I Withdraw Pension Money Now

Hi all

Sorry for my ignorance here, I am sure you will shake your head but I have a question.

Basically at the moment I am suspended from work on an allegation of gross misconduct, this has been going on for 10 weeks +.

Anyway my car has died, I have no money so I want to withdraw money I have been paying into my work pension for the past 8 years as I will be leaving the company and I dont want them to hold on to it and I need the money desperately.

I have asked someone in my company who deals with the pensions but I got quite a sharp response back saying that I cant have the money - she said all I can do is transfer money to new plan or leave it in the company pension.

Is this right ? I dont have my paperwork with me as its in my desk at work where I am not allowed to go !

Any advice would be greatly welcomed.

QB
x

Comments

• simpywimpy
    simpywimpy Posts: 2,384
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I think if you are over 50 you can in some instances
  • Queenb_2
    Queenb_2 Posts: 66 Forumite
    bum I am 36!!
  • EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Queenb wrote: »
    I have asked someone in my company who deals with the pensions but I got quite a sharp response back saying that I cant have the money - she said all I can do is transfer money to new plan or leave it in the company pension.

Is this right ?

Yes, if you are under 50.

If over 50 you might be able to get 25% of the money out in cash, but the rest would have to provide an income.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • Queenb_2
    Queenb_2 Posts: 66 Forumite
    Oh well thats that then - I am stuffed!

Makes me angry that the company who I hate has retained my money!
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,027
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    said all I can do is transfer money to new plan or leave it in the company pension.

Is this right ?

Yes. That is correct. The govt gives tax breaks to pensions to encourage people to tie the funds up until their retirement. Not to access early (even when you really want to).

You could transfer the pension if you are over 50 (probably at a big loss) and take upto 25% of the value as a lump sum (and reduce the tax benefits of the pension as well as reducing your future retirement income). However, if you are under 50 then its no go.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • MrChips
    MrChips Posts: 1,010
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If your (alleged) "gross misconduct" means that you owe your employer money, they can in some circumstances take this out of your pension transfer value.
    If I had a pound for every time I didn't play the lottery...
  • chesky369
    chesky369 Posts: 2,590 Forumite
    ......the company who I hate has retained my money.......
    no, it hasn't; your money (plus anything contributed by the company) is now in a pension fund, not in the company.
  • SandC
    SandC Posts: 3,929
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The others are correct. There are very few circumstances where you can cash in funds from a pension plan before the age of 50. This is why it is a pension plan and not just a savings plan.

Although you are obviously having problems with the company you work for, don't forget that they (I assume) have been contributing money into the fund as well.

Hope things turn out okay for you, but they aren't withholding any money, the pension goes with you when/if you leave, either for transfer into another plan or to be held until retirement age.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure