Daughter going to uni - so.upset

Comments

• svain
    svain Posts: 516 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    ibizafan wrote: »
    I must be the most awful mum, because I loved it when my youngest son left for uni. I had the house to myself at last, and it was the last of his terrible untidiness, as he never really lived at home for any length of time again. I just felt very proud of both sons for doing well and they have both got good careers, one in London and one in Australia. I suppose I've never lived through my children. My main aim when they were young was to live somewhere where the schools were excellent, and the rest was up to them. I have my own life to live, and lots of travelling to do, including regular trips to Australia to see my grand daughter and soon to be born grandson. Is it different with sons maybe?

Not at all, you have it spot on imo. It totally baffles me how some parents become totally encompassed by the children at the expense of their own life
  • amibovvered
    amibovvered Posts: 461 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    She makes friends really easy and I know she will meet some burk as soon as she gets there.

Sorry, but that made me laugh! :rotfl:
    I want my sun-drenched, wind-swept Ingrid Bergman kiss, Not in the next life, I want it in this, I want it in this

Use your imagination, or you can borrow mine!
  • BucksLady
    BucksLady Posts: 567 Forumite
    OP, you sound like an extremely loving mum and your daughter is lucky to have you :). I think the greatest gift any parent can give their child is their independence - so let her fly and she will be back :).
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    susancs wrote: »
    She will need the men acwy vaccination before going to uni and they were low on stocks locally when my daughter went to uni so there was a wait.

I honestly thought that this was a typo for "men away" vaccination.

Essential to maintain the virtue of all young women starting university.
  • amanda_p
    amanda_p Posts: 124 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    The way I look at it is , they are happy, settled and enjoying life(you hope) This is what you have given them the wings for. I have two sons, number 1 son had a gap year straight after school and it was a full year. Going all over the world backpacking, this was before Skype, whats app. We only got e mails when it wasn't too remote. Then came home straight to Uni for 3 years, then after Uni went to Hong Kong where he has been for the last 10 years, and married a chinese girl!
    Son number 2, no gap year, straight to Uni for 6 years to do medicine. Now working at a London Hospital as a Registrar. Hardly ever see him as when he is off his first priority is to his wife who hardly ever sees him, unsociable hours, night shifts, 18 hour days etc.
    You learn to live with it, they have happy fulfilled lives and a little bit of me thinks I must have done a reasonable job for them to be so independent of us.
    Will never forget the gap year son saying when he left at the airport that he was so pleased I was the only mum NOT crying. The last thing he wanted to see was tears.
    Try to embrace it as the next part of their lives and wave her off with a smile......however difficult
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Try not to feel too bad, i think my mum definetly felt the loss as my youngest sister and brother went to uni the same year. So she went from having a full family at home to just her and my dad (though they have since graduated and are back home). Its emotional but think of all the wonderful new experiences she will have, she'll meet new people, try new things, be independent and have a chance to study something shes passionate about. All those things go into molding her into a grown adult. You'vve done the hard part, let her do the rest :)
  • I'm in the same boat, my daughter was meant to be attending a local uni and therefore staying at home but fast forward from Thursday and she is now going across the water to Scotland Saturday next.
    It has come as a HUGE shock, she has the perfect part time job here, which financed her own car (which is proving a pain to sort) everything was extremely cosy and in place and now it's not.
    I've no worries about her, she is extremely sensible and good with money, it's what could happen to her that's a big concern. She has sorted out change of uni, student finance, accommodation all herself and I'm happy that she's starting to feel excitement now it's beginning to take shape but my God, I'm heartbroken.
    I cried on and off all day Saturday, I had her when I was very young and we are extremely close. It comes in waves, I'm thrilled for her and the opportunities and life experiences she's going to have and when I go to bed, I feel desperately sad.
    I can't even leave her over as her younger brother is starting first year the same week but I actually think it's for the best as I would disgrace her!
    Her dad is taking her over and he is dreading it too, so it's not just us mums.
    Total debt £20,000 Northern Rock loan:eek:
    Debt free date April 2016!!!!:eek:
  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,056 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Be proud of your daughter - she's going to university.
  • Fairenuff
    Fairenuff Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Oh my god how I sympathise my youngest left home 31/2 years ago to move to London she /I new nobody to support /help her I cried myself to sleep for weeks before and many months after I miss her so much! Her older brother shipped out 4 weeks after her I miss him but not the same ! You will come through it your relationship will be the same maybe even better we speak either by text/email / phone minimum twice a day every day ,she has a nice circle of friends a good job and a happy life what more could we ask for she comes home every 4-6 weeks and I get so excited then cry like a baby when she leaves again !!! Yes maybe hormones but it could also be unconditional love you have for them ,you will be fine no magic cure just remember you are and always will be MUM x
  • Loz01
    Loz01 Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    Its ok to cry when you see her off to Uni but try not to be hysterical - it'll upset her even more if she thinks you are distraught. Tell her you'll miss her loads being around the house BUT Uni is an amazing experience! Tell her to get involved in clubs/sports/whatever takes her eye and make the most of it, it doesn't last forever. Let her know you'll always be on the end of the phone if she needs you and for the odd £10 now and again but you know she'll do amazing on her own and you're very proud of her. Similar things my own Mum said to me many moons back and it'll make her realise yes you'll miss her BUT she can do fine on her own and that you also will be ok without her.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure