Everyday Ordinary Man Approaching Full Retirement at 59.

Comments

• bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    joansgirl wrote: »
    Well...... I put my notice in this morning :eek:
    The boss is away at the mo so I've e mailed her with the good news, just waiting for the inevitable response of......can you wait until I get home? The short answer to that is no, I can't. I'm expecting to leave on September 21st.

E.T.A. Just got the response from her :rotfl:

:j:j:jwell jel!
  • srn
    srn Posts: 114
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My husband took voluntary redundancy and accessed his pension 2 years ago when he was 58, I decided to leave my job as well, he gets a nice pension and I get a very small NHS one. We aren't wealthy, but are comfortable and have savings and don't owe a penny to anyone. It is the best thing we have ever done, we do as we please, we go out or stay in and do our hobbies, we have a caravan and have travelled all over UK, staying as long as we want, coming home when we get a hankering to see our house or the weather turns, our dogs go with us, we have just spent 2 months touring Scotland. We now are planning our trip to Scandinavia next spring.

To anyone who is unsure about retiring early I would say do it, it's great and as people have shown on here, you never know what's around the corner. We agonised over whether we were doing the right thing, making endless calculations and financial projections, all a complete waste of time, we have never yet spent everything that we get each month on day to day living so whatever is left over from essential spending we use to treat ourselves, we don't save anymore, we have done that, now is the time to spend. Do it, you won't regret it.
  • joansgirl
    joansgirl Posts: 17,899
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    The bosses reaction was better than I hoped, I think she knew she was on borrowed time since I cut my hours last year.

Strange to think that in a months time I will be a free woman :o
    floraison.gif
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...
  • gibbo9
    gibbo9 Posts: 44
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    fatbeetle wrote: »
    Pretty much our situation, (except I'll be 59.)

Good words! I'd rather live reasonably carefully, but be time rich, and enjoy my life with my wife, than work until I'm 70 and drop dead with money in the bank.

(PS. please don't use "alot" it's one of my major bugbears! Its "a lot". :beer:)

Sorry about that. That's the trouble with typing with with an unreliable finger. I will do better in future. I was a bit preoccupied at the time. First scan shows things haven't spread elsewhere so now waiting for the next one to see which bits I lose. Not as gloomy as it was but still a wake up call
  • Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,100
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Senior Ambassador
    gibbo9 wrote: »
    Sorry about that. That's the trouble with typing with with an unreliable finger. I will do better in future. I was a bit preoccupied at the time. First scan shows things haven't spread elsewhere so now waiting for the next one to see which bits I lose. Not as gloomy as it was but still a wake up call
    That sounds like goodish news. A few bits chopped off isn't so bad in the grand scheme of things! I have a strange shaped upper arm, but who cares!
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • gibbo9
    Forumite
    Yes I've got a shark bite out of my knee from the original one. This one is an inside bit so should hardly leave a trace but will be glad when it's sorted all the same
  • Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,100
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Senior Ambassador
    Shark bite! That's what I have, never thought of that!
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • gibbo9
    Forumite
    That's what my skin cancer nurse said it would look like when I woke up and she wasn't wrong, looks much better these days though
  • fatbeetle
    fatbeetle Posts: 567
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    gibbo9 wrote: »

Apologies, I'm not normally grammar Nazi/pedant, and I knew not of your illness.

It's just that word really bugs me for some reason. I won't do it again....

Best wishes for a full and complete recovery mate, and again, apologies.
    “If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and who weren't so lazy.”
  • gibbo9
    Forumite
    It really wasn't a problem. I think we all have those little pet hates. Round here people constantly miss the word 'to' out of sentences ie I'm going Hanley, that's one of mine, and you wouldn't believe the number of men round here with prostrate problems.
    On a good note 2nd scan all arranged for tomorrow and only ordered at my appointment yesterday so I for one still have faith in the NHS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure