Hep with bankruptcy please?

Hi please could someone help?

My husband is contemplating bankruptcy...he has debts of approx £50,000 in his name on credit cards/loans. We own no property and live in rented accommodation. I have dependant children that live with us from a previous relationship.

I have some questions that I'm hoping you can help with?

1) How will The OR look at my husbands income/expenditure? He obviously has to contribute to the cost of the house and kids? Will they want to know my income/expenditure too? How does it work with household income/outgoings when only he is going bankrupt and NOT both of us?

2)How do they work out what we are allowed to have for food shopping, clothing etc? My husband swages go into his account and mine into my own aerate account. We have no joint debts or accounts.

3)is an IPA always 3 years? I'm terrified we won't be able to keep afloat during that time and it's obviously a concern while trying to keep some normality for the kids.

I think that's it for now and I really appreciate any help x

Comments

• GW17
    GW17 Posts: 2 Newbie
    I also meant to add that we have also considered DMP but that would obviously take substantial time to clear.

We would like to get a mortgage at some point when all this is settled and we are worried that we will struggle to do that even with the DMP over bankruptcy (obviously we know the bankruptcy would make that very difficult!)
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi GW17,

GW17 wrote: »
    Hi please could someone help?

My husband is contemplating bankruptcy...he has debts of approx £50,000 in his name on credit cards/loans. We own no property and live in rented accommodation. I have dependant children that live with us from a previous relationship.

I have some questions that I'm hoping you can help with?

1) How will The OR look at my husbands income/expenditure? He obviously has to contribute to the cost of the house and kids? Will they want to know my income/expenditure too? How does it work with household income/outgoings when only he is going bankrupt and NOT both of us?
    The OR would likely ask for a household budget sheet at some stage to ensure the bills/ expenses are being shared proportionately, based on the income received. So if you both earn the same amount, the bills should be split 50/50. But if someone earns more, they would be expected to put more towards the bills. The OR will not ask you to pay anything towards his bankruptcy/ IPA.

2)How do they work out what we are allowed to have for food shopping, clothing etc? My husband swages go into his account and mine into my own aerate account. We have no joint debts or accounts.
    The best thing to do is budget realistically. The OR will use their discretion about what figures to allow and if you feel the figures they use are not an accurate reflection of what is happening you can raise that with them, but it will ultimately be up to the OR. The OR will ask to see your husband’s bank statements, but I cannot see any reason why they would ask for yours.

3)is an IPA always 3 years? I'm terrified we won't be able to keep afloat during that time and it's obviously a concern while trying to keep some normality for the kids.
    An IPA is for 3 years; however, it can be varied or suspended during that time. So, if the situation changes (for better or worse) your husband will need to tell the OR who will then review the IPA. If things have got better, the IPA would likely increase, however if things got worse the IPA may be lowered or suspended if his disposable money is less than £20 pcm.

I think that's it for now and I really appreciate any help x

We would like to get a mortgage at some point when all this is settled and we are worried that we will struggle to do that even with the DMP over bankruptcy (obviously we know the bankruptcy would make that very difficult!) That is difficult to say. Bankruptcy will show for 6 years from the date of the bankruptcy order, but if he is asked on future credit applications if he has ‘ever’ been bankrupt he would have to declare this so it may still affect him getting credit, after it has come off his credit file. However, with a DMP the monthly payments could go on for 5, 10, 20 years and it is unlikely he would get a mortgage whilst he still has monthly debt commitments to pay.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,253 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Quite a few people on here have got mortgages after 3 years B.R
  • debt_doctor
    debt_doctor Posts: 4,595 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi,

If you post your SOA on here we can have a look at it and guide you to what expenditure might be reasonable.
    DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure