How to calcuate balance transfer interest with 2 different rates.

Hi
I've got a Halifax c/c which I've used for a balance transfer on 2 different occasions.
One is nearing it's expiry and will revert to 18.7% apr.
The rest will continue at 0% apr. I'm trying to work out how much interest I'll pay on the 18.7% bt. Obviously any payments pay off the 0% bt first. I've tried using online calculators but the payment I'm making is for the whole balance , not separate for each rate.
Does anyone know how or if I can calculate it?
Clear as mud?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,617 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    it depends on your T&Cs I think.
    some apply all payments to the earliest offer when both at 0% - so that would mean that all payments to date have been reducing that part of the balance. You would need to add up all the payments and subtract them from the first BT amount to see how much, if any, is still outstanding. Then you apply the interest rate to that.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    What MallyGirl said - most cards will apply payments to the deal that's ending soonest, all other things being equal.

But if part of your balance is at 0%, and part is interest-bearing, then any payment will be allocated to the highest rate first.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Do you know how much is outstanding on each BT amount ? Up to now all payments have been against the oldest BT so that has been reducing. All payments will go against the highest interest balance once you start paying interest. Your monthly interest will be roughly balance * 1.56%
  • Why not switch it out again so you don't have to worry about which is paid off first? Then its all bundled together.
    no signature
  • Hi.
    Thanks for your replies.
    £927 will be 18.7%
    £3380 will be 0% until Aug 2018.
    I'm trying to work the interest out to see if it's worth me switching again (bt fee )
    Thanks
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    £927 will start at around £14.50 interest for the first month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure