Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Clairjb
    • By Clairjb 13th Aug 17, 8:49 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Clairjb
    Stress Cracks in Paint Work
    • 13th Aug 17, 8:49 AM
    Stress Cracks in Paint Work 13th Aug 17 at 8:49 AM
    Hi All

I hired a Campervan, VW T5 transporter, upon taking the van I didn't check the roof, being 5ft 4 and not offered stepladders so other than 2 chips in the windscreen that were noted I signed the form to say no other damage.

When I returned the vehicle, the owner checked it and noted an additional chip in the windscreen I pointed out and then wrote 'All Good' across the notes before we both signed. Now the owner has sent a text message saying they got on their stepladders and there are stress cracks on the roof due to an impact?? They've sent photos of this. They then sent a text saying they can get a 'friend' to repair the stress cracks at a cost of £350 from the deposit to avoid going through our Insurances?

I luckily got excess insurance with icarhireinsurance for campervans which covers roof damage, but even so I didn't do it? I also have never come across stress marks in paintwork before? I understand they can come from an impact but this are huge cracks?? Some 5 to 6 inches long?

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 13th Aug 17, 9:28 AM
    • 6,835 Posts
    • 3,036 Thanks
    buglawton
    • 13th Aug 17, 9:28 AM
    • 13th Aug 17, 9:28 AM
    Ask the owner for proof they checked the roof before you took the 'van.
    (Car hire companies use a marked diagram as their proof)
    Mention that without it, your excess insurance won't pay up.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 13th Aug 17, 10:17 AM
    • 9,855 Posts
    • 6,856 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 13th Aug 17, 10:17 AM
    Can you stick the pictures on imgur and pass on the link so we might have a look?

I appreciate you wont be able to post links yet but if you pm one of us we'll post it for you.

At the end of the day they checked the van when you handed it back and signed it off, there's very little they can do.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 13th Aug 17, 10:17 AM
    • 14,789 Posts
    • 13,143 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Hightop, I presume? The roof is glassfibre, rather than steel, so will crack from impacts - low, overhanging branches and the like can do it, and they're far from uncommon on campsites.
    • Hedgehog99
    • By Hedgehog99 13th Aug 17, 10:25 AM
    • 1,293 Posts
    • 2,681 Thanks
    Hedgehog99
    • 13th Aug 17, 10:25 AM
    • 13th Aug 17, 10:25 AM
    What's the betting each person who hires it is told the same story and that this "friend" doesn't exist and never fixes it, just leaving it as a recurring cash cow?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,964Posts Today

9,656Users online

Martin's Twitter