University stated incorrect tuition fees

I was living in Bermuda for 20 years and after my divorce I moved back to the UK as I am a UK citizen.
My daughter came with me in Aug 2010 (she was born in Bermuda and has Bermudian and UK rights). My daughter was accepted in University and applied for the student loan. The student loans kept telling us that her application was still being processed and that she would get her loan by the first week in Oct 2012. My daughter signed contracts with an agency for her apartment in Sept 2012 and then after many phone calls to the student loan office, they declined my daughter’s loan stating she was not born in the UK and had not been in the UK for 3 years. Although they had originally told her that she would get it in Oct (hence we signing apartment contracts) and also her application online had also stated they had all the evidence required.
I have no money, no job therefore I cannot get a loan for my daughter. However, her Bermudian father owes me maintenance and I got legally help in Bermuda so I could apply the maintenance towards my daughter’s tuition fees.
My lawyer needed for court a letter from the University stating the 2012/13 fees for my daughter. (Which the university supplied which stated £3465 for tuition fees for 2012-13). My daughter queried the amount as we thought it would be £9000. The university administration told my daughter that £3465 was the correct amount.
Therefore my lawyer went to court with the university letter as evidence/proof of tuition fees in order to get this amount from my daughter’s father. This process has been very taxing mentally and financially. My daughter’s fees are due on Nov 12, 2012 and when she went to pay online £3465, the amount has now been changed to £9000 by the university.
Now my court case was seen on a urgent priority basis due to the fact that the court hearing had to be heard before the university fees were due. I am not in a position mentally or financially to go back to court to say the university has now changed their minds on my daughter tuition fees. I also cannot get a loan for my daughter, due to my hardship circumstances. My daughter, cannot get a student loan because she was denied due to not being in the UK for 3 years although this was after the fact she had already registered with the university.
I just want the University to honour the £3465 which we have in writing for this year 2012-13. Otherwise it will be financially and mentally devastating to both me and my daughter.
Please help us.

Comments

• ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Get the father to pay.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 November 2012 at 7:50PM
    basic research would have told you long ago that she was not eligioble for an SLC loan - the 3 years residency rule is very clear

http://www.sfengland.slc.co.uk/frequently-asked-questions/applying.aspx

"Generally, on the first day of the academic year in which your course starts, you must have been 'ordinarily resident' in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for the three years immediately before starting the course - and not wholly or mainly for the purpose of receiving full-time education"

If you say you have a letter statuing 3465 for 12/13 then you have a letter, frankly I am flabbergasted that any university would have sent such a thing given we have all been planning for the 12/13 fee increase since 2011. I'm not saying you don;t have such a letter, but I'd be amazed if there isn't some small print saying those fees are subject to change.

You may have a case against the university depending on the wording of the letter but morally you should be chasing the father not a UK university for your pickle
  • miduck
    miduck Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    Debbles19 wrote: »
    I just want the University to honour the £3465 which we have in writing for this year 2012-13. Otherwise it will be financially and mentally devastating to both me and my daughter.
    Please help us.

The chances of that happening are about zero. Perhaps your daughter could seek work, save up for a few years and then reapply, at which point she will be eligible for funding and have some money behind her.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Maybe your daughter could get student funding from Bermuda? After all, that is where she has lived for most of her life.
  • CAB_National_Representative
    CAB_National_Representative Posts: 220 Organisation Representative
    Debbles19 wrote: »
    I was living in Bermuda for 20 years and after my divorce I moved back to the UK as I am a UK citizen.
    My daughter came with me in Aug 2010 (she was born in Bermuda and has Bermudian and UK rights). My daughter was accepted in University and applied for the student loan. The student loans kept telling us that her application was still being processed and that she would get her loan by the first week in Oct 2012. My daughter signed contracts with an agency for her apartment in Sept 2012 and then after many phone calls to the student loan office, they declined my daughter’s loan stating she was not born in the UK and had not been in the UK for 3 years. Although they had originally told her that she would get it in Oct (hence we signing apartment contracts) and also her application online had also stated they had all the evidence required.
    I have no money, no job therefore I cannot get a loan for my daughter. However, her Bermudian father owes me maintenance and I got legally help in Bermuda so I could apply the maintenance towards my daughter’s tuition fees.
    My lawyer needed for court a letter from the University stating the 2012/13 fees for my daughter. (Which the university supplied which stated £3465 for tuition fees for 2012-13). My daughter queried the amount as we thought it would be £9000. The university administration told my daughter that £3465 was the correct amount.
    Therefore my lawyer went to court with the university letter as evidence/proof of tuition fees in order to get this amount from my daughter’s father. This process has been very taxing mentally and financially. My daughter’s fees are due on Nov 12, 2012 and when she went to pay online £3465, the amount has now been changed to £9000 by the university.
    Now my court case was seen on a urgent priority basis due to the fact that the court hearing had to be heard before the university fees were due. I am not in a position mentally or financially to go back to court to say the university has now changed their minds on my daughter tuition fees. I also cannot get a loan for my daughter, due to my hardship circumstances. My daughter, cannot get a student loan because she was denied due to not being in the UK for 3 years although this was after the fact she had already registered with the university.
    Please help us.

Hi Debbles19 - this isn't an area being covered by our CAB representatives at the moment. We'd recommend contacting our Consumer Helpline (08454 04 05 06, 9am to 5pm, Mondays to Fridays) to find out what action you can take, and whether you can.

It would be a good idea to have all documents to hand when you call, so that you can quote the exact details - and including any information from the unversity about terms and conditions, especially rules about residency in the UK.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure