The Great Free Online Courses Hunt (merged)

Comments

• Hey all,

great topic, I love to study online as I can do it whenever it suits me.

I might "borrow" a couple of weblinks which I didn't know till now and put them into my new project.

http://www.eir.sk At the moment are just roughly 60 weblinks with free online education resources online but as soon as I get a bit time again I will add the rest of the collection ;)

At the moment no user bar myself are regsitered but the directory is working so there might be one or two interesting weblinks.

cya
    - Markus
  • You will probably need to be familiar with software development basics, and very familiar with the windows user interface for these;

c# training videos
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualCSharp/learning/

Visual web developer
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/vwd/learning/

visual basic
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/vb/learning/

Visual c++
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/learning/

All the above (Plus more if you hunt around) are available to download (the express editions are learning editions and are fully featured and free, though you will need a license to distribute applications you have created) from the microsoft website.

Hope this helps!
    :beer: Jason
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    There's a new thing, BT Learning, that isn't free but is cheap. Courses cost from £2 a month, and you can do a range of things. It's worth a look.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• spanner82
    spanner82 Posts: 122 Forumite
    that BT one looks great - i only need 2 more units in CLAiT to get the diploma - if I studyed with them would this actually count? Is it a real certificate you get sent?
  • bobbie78
    bobbie78 Posts: 275 Forumite
    ever wondered what a university course was like? a few American uni's have all their courses online for free now.

webcasts and podcasts from berkeley (note you don't need an ipod to listen to a podcast just download Itunes for free then listen on your PC or make them into cd's).

MIT Courses - although mit is famous for it's IT and electrical departments there are other courses too.

Won't lead you to a qualification but useful if you have always wondered what psychology students do learn about for example. I don't know if this is the same kind of content as OU but might be an idea to see if you are still interested in a subject after listening to some free lessons on it.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 234 Proud to be dealing with my debts I love the Dave Ramsey podcasts. Debt Free Date (including house) Aug 2012 Live on £4000 a year the short version £918 for 29/09/08 - 01/01/09 spent £0 NSD's In October Target 10 Actual 0 Quit smoking 25/09/08 saved £5 so far
  • I don't think this has been posted. My apologies if it has...

Not EXACTLY free...Not on-line either, but Tesco are offering National Extension College Tokens as a Clubcard Deal. Usual thing - 4x the value of your vouchers as tokens or £2.50 for £10 worth of course fees. I've just applied for a GCSE in Spanish. It's £290/72.50 in Clubcard tokens.

They have a whole list of courses which include both GCSE and A Levels. It's distance learning, so you do it at home in your own time.

I've been trying to figure out a way to properly learn Spanish for a long time, so I'm thrilled to bits that I can do this course and it's not going to cost me anything.

All the details are on the Tesco website.

I'll let you know if I pass the GCSE exam!!
    Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever - Mahatma Gandhi
  • Sooler wrote:

Just to say, don't bother with sense-lang - spent a good few hours on it before trying goodtyping - learnt more in half an hour with this great course! THOROUGHLY recommend good typing though - am half way through the course, and learning loads
    If you don't have anything nice (or constructive) to say... DON'T SAY IT!
  • listening to the radio recently I've heard an ad for free computer courses for older people i think they're called 'my place' but i didnt catch their number and can't find them on the internet, would really like to know for my in-laws if anyone knows of these.

Thanks
  • Hi all
    I'm new here and wanted to recommend a brilliant online learning centre; trouble is, it's not exactly free so I hope you forgive if I've posted in the wrong forum!
    I wanted to learn acupressure properly just so that we could make use of it as a family. I searched the net for ages and only found heavy-commitment, time-sensitive courses that cost hundreds of £££.

Then I discovered http://www.naturalhealthcourses.com/courses.htm

They've got over 30 courses available, from stress management to reflexology to nutrition therapy to child psychology. . . . check out their testimonials page! Lots of health professionals make use of these courses to supplement their work too.
    You work entirely at your own pace on modules sent via email or post - there's no time limit!! Ideal for me as a busy mum! Once you complete the course there's a nationally recognised accreditation available so you could if you wished use it as the base for a new career.
    The courses are available as self-study (cheaper) or tutored; TIP: keep an eye out as they sometimes have special offers which make them cheaper - my course was about £95 but reduced to £75, oh and you can even pay this in instalments over a few months.
    I'm very impressed with the service and quality of the course I'm on. I'm looking forward to taking another when I've finished.
    Hope this helps someone
  • mike_paterson
    mike_paterson Posts: 1,473 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    greenwych, the title of the thread sort of gives it away. The thread is for free online courses.

I know you are a newbie , but to post a link in your first post is rather suspicious
    To infinity and beyond!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport