PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

EPC and private sale?

I have a private buyer coming to view a house I own and would love it if I could get a sale without an EA and fees, but would I need an EPC for a private sale? The EA tells me I need one before they can Market it for me but I wondered if it's the same for private sales? Ta

Comments

• timmyt
    timmyt Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    the EA is correct.

and use an EA, they squeeze a buyer for more money than you can, and end up paying their own way...and then some.

but your call
    My posts are just my opinions and are not offered as legal advice - though I consider them darn fine opinions none the less.:cool2:

My bad spelling...well I rush type these opinions on my own time, so sorry, but they are free.:o
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    You only need an EPC to market the property. If you don't market it (ie your neighbour/relative is buying) you don't need one. Word of mouth is not marketing.
  • Thanks Timmy. That doesn't answer my question though. I know I'd need an EPC if I was going through an EA. But if I'm not, do I still require one. Oh and I don't think the EA would "squeeze" any more money out if anyone except me and I can do with keeping the £3k+ they'd be charging!
  • Thanks GM, that makes sense as I'm not marketing it, I just happen to know someone who is interested which is quite handy if he does want to buy it!
  • david29dpo
    david29dpo Posts: 3,747
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you are not marketing, you only need an EPC on exchange of contracts. Plenty on the net from £45.00
  • timmyt
    timmyt Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    G_M wrote: »
    You only need an EPC to market the property. If you don't market it (ie your neighbour/relative is buying) you don't need one. Word of mouth is not marketing.

wrong. if I sell my house I need to get an EPC for the buyer that is EU reulations in UK law now. Nothing to do with 'marketing' which was the old HIP rules.

so back to my original post....the EA was right, and if you go private, you need an EPC too, and use an EA as they will get the best price...unless you are a Dodo and go fix fee with an estate agent like some idiots do, wereupon the agent won't care what price they sell for.

national estate agents - avoid and use local indeedent who trade on their name and reputation and who 'care' - are the culprits in fixed fees.
    My posts are just my opinions and are not offered as legal advice - though I consider them darn fine opinions none the less.:cool2:

My bad spelling...well I rush type these opinions on my own time, so sorry, but they are free.:o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure