Refund of Taxi Fare by Train Operator??

Options
I'll try to be as brief as possible! On Tuesday my DH, Son and a friend arrived from along haul flight to Gatwick. Unfortunately due to industrial action there was no train running to our destination. I asked at the information desk how we could get to Portsmouth and was told to go to Brighton and then on from there. We arrived in Brighton and on enquiring there we were told the only available route was to return to Gatwick change for Guildford and then to Portsmouth!!
By this time we were totally shattered (friend is 82l and could not face such an extended journey so we negotiated with a taxi in Brighton to take us home.
Does anyone have any info if we can claim for the taxi fare given we were given wrong information at Gatwick?
Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Comments

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Had you actually purchased tickets in advance?
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes - we bought return tickets.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm sorry, know they were tired but how could anyone expect an airport to know which trains travelled where from which station. They deal in airflight. Not trains. Particularly if there was industrial action.

I don't think you can hold them responsible for this. The people to ask were British Rail (phone call).
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm sorry, know they were tired but how could anyone expect an airport to know which trains travelled where from which station. They deal in airflight. Not trains. Particularly if there was industrial action.

I don't think you can hold them responsible for this. The people to ask were British Rail (phone call).
    I assumed the OP asked at the railway station information desk, but I could be wrong.
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 30 April 2016 at 12:43PM
    Options
    The people to ask were British Rail (phone call).

Maybe if you were still in 1997.
    silvasava wrote: »
    Does anyone have any info if we can claim for the taxi fare given we were given wrong information at Gatwick?

Although we know you were given the wrong information as getting anyone involved with the railways to actually give a damn when there is disruption is impossible, unless you can prove it then you stand little chance.
  • silvasava
    Options
    Just to clarify - we asked at the information desk at the station platform! It was the person at the rail desk who gave us the information.
    No - I would not expect the airline desk to have information about rail connections.
  • jb66
    jb66 Posts: 1,705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    How can you prove you were told this?
  • silvasava
    Options
    Well - four people with luggage after a long haul flight surely wouldn't have bothered to travel to Brighton on a whim and I wouldn't have thought it was necessary for the rail information desk to have written their instructions down for us to have to prove what they said.
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    silvasava wrote: »
    If you had travelled by rail, you would have had a case for delay compensation.

As you chose to abandon your journey, you can get a refund on your rail tickets, but I don't see how you can claim compensation on the cost of the taxi.

I'd complain about the wrong info though. What time did you arrive at Gatwick rail station?
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Virgin trains paid for a taxi in London to get me to a destination that would have been doable by tube if my train from Manchester had not been delayed by over an hour, they also refunded half of the fare. If you contact the train company they might surprise you, it's worth asking.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport