Un-Sorn a vehicle.

Hi,

Apologies for knowing nothing about this at all. I passed my test on the 11th January. I'm buying my brothers car off him.

Thing is it has a SORN on it, the breaks are being changed next week and then it will be back on the road.

How do I go about un SORNing the car? Do I just present the MOT certificate to put some tax on it? I need to insure it.

Do I need the log book? Do I need to apply for it to be un SORNed?

HELP!!

Thanks, Catie x
I am a Mortgage Adviser
You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it.
This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.

Comments

• Gordon_Hose
    Gordon_Hose Posts: 6,259 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Don't you just tax it in the usual way? Putting tax on it will just remove the SORN.
  • vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Get it insured, take it to a pre arranged MOT (if required) then get tax
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    You need to register the V5 with your details, then just just tax it.

The SORN will then automatically be removed.

The SORN is only applicable to the present registered keeper.
  • catieeb06
    catieeb06 Posts: 576 Forumite
    It's failed the MOT hence the need for new breaks.

Do I need the log book? My brother is the most un organised person and can't remember where he's put it. I've got a folder of all the old MOT certs, but that's because my Gran owned it prior to him buying it.

He's away at University at the moment so he can't easily search for it.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it.
    This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    catieeb06 wrote: »
    It's failed the MOT hence the need for new breaks.

Do I need the log book? My brother is the most un organised person and can't remember where he's put it. I've got a folder of all the old MOT certs, but that's because my Gran owned it prior to him buying it.

He's away at University at the moment so he can't easily search for it.

Yes, you need the V5 ( Log Book ) in order to register it in your name.
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    I just took my insurance and V5 to the post office and got a tax dsk (car doesn't need an MOT) I think you can get a copy V5 (or your brother can) and you will need a prebooked MOT or you can be prosecuted for having an untaxed car on the hghway.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • catieeb06
    Hmmm...the V5 is where we could come unstuck.

Will have to see if I can get a copy of it!
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,959 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    catieeb06 wrote: »
    Hmmm...the V5 is where we could come unstuck.

Will have to see if I can get a copy of it!
    You could just keep it in his name for the time being until you find the V5. Then MOT and insure it, then order your tax online so no one has to see the V5 you can't find. Thus you have a useable car while you're finding the V5/applying for a new one.
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Very difficult to get insurance for your brothers car though.
  • catieeb06
    Oh God. It's all falling apart.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure