M&S bank

Comments

• zak2012
    zak2012 Posts: 326 Forumite
    I applied for M&S last night,today they sent email asking me to call them for more details,why is that? no reject no approval?what this email means?
  • LXdaddy
    LXdaddy Posts: 693
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes I had to have a call for more details following the online application. They wanted to know more about where the funds I would be depositing would be coming from. Answer was "one of my other bank accounts" I did get accepted but the whole process is really long winded with lots of waiting for paperwork. The Switch process from my donor account should be rolling following my latest call today - then after that I should be able to open the Regular saver which is what I really want.
  • zak2012
    zak2012 Posts: 326 Forumite
    LXdaddy wrote: »
    Yes I had to have a call for more details following the online application. They wanted to know more about where the funds I would be depositing would be coming from. Answer was "one of my other bank accounts" I did get accepted but the whole process is really long winded with lots of waiting for paperwork. The Switch process from my donor account should be rolling following my latest call today - then after that I should be able to open the Regular saver which is what I really want.

I just called them,the lady said wait for letter in post , was yours same?or they told you straight on phone?thanks
  • Doctor_Duke
    Doctor_Duke Posts: 303 Forumite
    I had an account with M&S and switched it away once my regular saver matured. Reason, awful online banking and basic app. One of the worst around and definitely the poor relation in the HSBC family.
  • Dan83
    Dan83 Posts: 671
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I never apply for over drafts on accounts, I have an agreed overdraft on my main account that I have never used but that it's.

When filling in applications, do you try and tell the truth and be honest or just tell them what they want to hear? In terms of what you will use your account for ect
  • LXdaddy
    Forumite
    zak2012 wrote: »
    I just called them,the lady said wait for letter in post , was yours same?or they told you straight on phone?thanks

I didn't get the verdict on the phone. Basically they wanted to know where the money was coming from. I forget the actual question on the on-line application but it must have had Salary as an option which I didn't select - because I'm not going to get my salary paid into this account.

The letter saying I was to be honoured with the grant of banking facilities arrived some days later.
  • LXdaddy
    Forumite
    Dan83 wrote: »
    I never apply for over drafts on accounts, I have an agreed overdraft on my main account that I have never used but that it's.

When filling in applications, do you try and tell the truth and be honest or just tell them what they want to hear? In terms of what you will use your account for ect

I don't ask for an overdraft - like you I have one available on our main account that we have not used in maaaaany years plus there is way more headroom in credit cards for any spending that might be a bit out of the ordinary and we then have time to shuffle funds around because always pay off the credit cards in full every month.

In terms of answering the application questions - always tell the truth - what would be the point in lying?
  • numbers123
    numbers123 Posts: 47 Forumite
    LuSiVe wrote: »
    If you do call for the regular savings account be aware you will need to tell them about almost every financial transaction you have ever made in your life .... it was not a short call :o

I called to open a Monthly Saver on Wednesday. The entire call lasted 6 minutes. They didn't ask me any questions apart from ones directly connected to the account I was opening. It appeared in online banking within a couple of hours. :T
  • Dan83
    Dan83 Posts: 671
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    LXdaddy wrote: »
    In terms of answering the application questions - always tell the truth - what would be the point in lying?

I know what you mean, I try to answer all questions truthly, but I wonder if I said I would get my salary paid in, the out come might of been different.
  • sgun
    sgun Posts: 715
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I did get accepted for the credit card as well in the end and it was worth talking to someone direct as she did a couple of helpful tweaks on the application that I wouldn't have known I could do if I applied online.

I think their problem is that they are operating in quite an old fashioned way, most of the information I received could easily have been emailed. I have not received one single email, not even on switching day to tell me it had all gone through. I find this really odd.

I didn't have any phone calls asking loads of questions but to get the CC I was on the phone for the best part of an hour being talked at. They were helpful but it seems a very inefficient way of working.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure