PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas Dinner (preparing in advance)

Comments

• dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I have the same problem this year too as my new house only has single oven. Thought I would cook the beef the night before and reheat as I am worried about reheating poultry - don't want to poison everyone.
    I always do a mixture of roast veg. (potatoes/carrot/parsnips/onions/squash). Is it possible to freeze these, and if so, at what point? I usually parboil root veg then roast with squash and onions. Not sure if freezing them would save that much space/time/hassle.

Might just get the turkey twizzlers out (lol)!
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    dreaming wrote: »
    (potatoes/carrot/parsnips/onions/squash). Is it possible to freeze these, and if so, at what point? I usually parboil root veg then roast with squash and onions. Not sure if freezing them would save that much space/time/hassle.

Might just get the turkey twizzlers out (lol)!

Hi, I usually peel the potatoes/sprouts/parsnips on Xmas Eve and leave in water overnight, they are fine, nether of us likes soggy veg btw, so I assure you they are okay like this. I don't roast them either, just pop them on 5 mins before dinner is done - the veg that is not the potatoes :D
  • susank
    susank Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I love slow coooker beef roast - I love well done beef and always cook it the day before and slice it into gravy and reheat till really boiling hot - It may be a travesty to do this but its the best I have ever eaten roast beef!
    Saving in my terramundi pot £2, £1 and 50p just for me! :j
  • Jinx
    Jinx Posts: 1,766 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    I'd cook both the joints in advance and slice and stick back in the freezer in the gravy in a ceramic dish so they can be defrosted then stuck in the oven....

I'm cooking for 18 this year, I cooked my turkey on Sunday and its now nicely sliced and back in the freezer. It gets taken out on xmas eve and reheated in the oven on xmas day while the roast potatoes and veg cook. Brussels with pancetta and carrots with honey get done on the hob and cauli cheese gets made xmas eve and microwaved. Stuffing gets shoved in any tiny corner of oven left!! Totally cheat on the gravy front, buy M&S stuff for the table and microwave it :)

The only rule in my house re xmas dinner is that the cook gets force fed champers ;)
    Light Bulb Moment - 11th Nov 2004 - Debt Free Day - 25th Mar 2011 :j
  • A haybox is very easy to make.
    It would do the job of keeping food warm just fine.
    Google how to make one, people use quilts, pillows, allsorts of things that are found in the home, without having to spend anything. And of course, it can be placed anywhere in the home, or even outside.
    HTH
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I've merged this with christmas dinner - preparing in advance.

there are also loads of food related links in this thread, first post

Zip :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Noctu
    Noctu Posts: 1,553 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just wondering what everyone is doing today, or has already done, to prepare for Christmas Day?

So far I've made:
    Chestnut stuffing to be baked on the day
    Bread sauce
    Braised red cabbage with apples (Delia recipe)

tomorrow will mainly consist of peeling and chopping the veg! :cool:
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I've already done and frozen a lot...something I've not done before, and while its brilliant not to be rushing about it feels a little ...un Christmassy! I could make the bread sauce I suppose...
  • artydoll
    artydoll Posts: 2,084 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I got the turkey out of the freezer to cook tomorrow.
    Earnings £245 in 2014:T thanks to swagbucks
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    I went and collected the Turkey.Assembled the Table.
    tomorrow will mainly consist of peeling and chopping the veg! :cool:

Will be thinking of you when I do mine, Apart from the parsips which will be done late xmas morning.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure