Let's do this!

Comments

• Lilith1980
    Lilith1980 Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Last day at work today as we're off to the coast tomorrow :j

I spent about £4 buying some items to take for lunch to save money, but then I was able to cash out £5 from Swagbucks tonight so that covered things :)

Been feeling in a right old rut right now and I'm not sure what it's all about. Mixed feelings about whether the job I'm doing (and that I paid my doctorate to do!) is what I really want to do :(
    I've felt this before so it's a recurring thing. However, I need to remember that my qualification will open doors for me in other types of roles, not just the one I'm doing so there are always other options. I just feel a bit fed up, so hopefully this weekend away will clear away some of the 'stuckness'.

Finally managed to actually get some surveys done, rather than be screened out after a few questions so that was satisfying. I'm nearly at the £20 payout for Prolific Academic so hopefully more studies will come my way soon (it's free to withdraw £20 but not free below that so I'm waiting for the £20 mark).

It's pouring with rain here so goodness knows what the coast will be like, but we'll be wrapping up warm! :rotfl:
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Lilith are you maybe feeling like that because you know you have to stick to your current role until you finish your PhD?

Enjoy your time at the coast!
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Lilith thanks for stopping by on my diary , I am about to read yours and have subscribed.
  • Lilith1980
    Uniscots97 wrote: »
    Lilith are you maybe feeling like that because you know you have to stick to your current role until you finish your PhD?

Enjoy your time at the coast!

Unfortunately I only started the job late last year :rotfl:

I left the other one I'd been at for 4 years because my manager was so unsupportive. At my new job everyone is lovely, but I've just been asking myself questions about life like " what is this all about?". I think far too deeply about stuff and get myself wound up. Perhaps I need to give myself more time to settle in. I'm certainly not one to leave without having something else to go to.
  • Lilith1980
    Lilith thanks for stopping by on my diary , I am about to read yours and have subscribed.

No problem, and thank you :D
  • Munchin
    Munchin Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi Lilith

I hope you are having a lovely break.
  • Me too! Hope the weather is bright and sunny where you are!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 11 February 2018 at 2:05PM
    Hope youre having a great time Lilith
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • Lilith1980
    Thanks all for checking in with me! We're back home now. It was wet and windy Friday/Saturday but it didn't stop us walking around. We went along the sea front and also to a nearby country park. It was lovely and sunny today (if a bit bracing!) so we got out for a walk along the beach (the humber estuary to be exact) before heading home. I love being by the sea. I felt emotional as we got onto the beach; this break did us both good.

I missed our pooch though; she would have loved running on the sand and saying hello to the other dogs. I think hubby regretted saying we shouldn't take her this time. She's coming with us to Cornwall in June but perhaps hubby is now persuaded that she comes on shorter breaks too :T

The place we stayed was really good value. It cost £42.50 per night and we didn't realise it was above a Hungry Horse pub so they had lots of meal deals which reduced our costs. On the Friday night we had burger and chips which cost £6.29 for both of us! Last night it was £8 for two courses so a total of £16 for a main and dessert each; and they were big portions. Hubby had put money away too for food. I'd put away money to cover the hotel room and kennel costs but inadvertently put too much money away, which was good as it meant I didn't have to dip into this month's wages as much when it came to us eating. All I actually spent from this month's wages was £7.50 on two breakfasts this morning :T

On a less positive note, we came out on Saturday morning to go for a walk and it seemed someone (probably drunk, having come out of the pub) decided it would be fun to stand on my hubby's car bonnet and leave a sizeable dent in it :mad: So now we're not sure how much it will cost to put that right. He rang the insurance company and they're going to ring him tomorrow. I may have to put the excess on my CC as hubby doesn't have the amount sitting spare. He'll pay it back of course, but it's still money we/he could have done without spending. I think we were more annoyed that people just don't think about what their actions can cost people. However, we both said it could have been worse and the person could easily have trashed the car if they were really drunk.

It tainted the weekend a little bit but we've both come back refreshed and we've said we need to try and do the odd weekend away more often. I think life can get on top of us a bit and it's a recharging of the batteries.

Come back home to snow so I've turned the heating on as it's very cold in the house!

Hope everyone is well :)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,176 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Glad that you enjoyed your break but not so good about the car.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback