The Edcawber Principle

Comments

• Brodiebobs
    Brodiebobs Posts: 1,032 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post

Thanks Brodiebobs - DD is a star :)

I would do the same if we had 2. My little sister has had the dilemma of what to do for the younger of her children, as big brother has a head start on his pot. How did you address that, or do you have twins/children very close in age?

When I transferred their govt child trust funds to ISA's the eldest had slightly more as got two payments from the Govt (think this was income based and stopped this in 2006?) so i topped up the younger so they both had the same at that point, then contribute same monthly now, give or take a couple of pounds they are on par now but obviously one will cash out first so depends on the markets, but i will explain it to them.

And Alex £250,000 wowsers. That would set me up for life now.
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I know Brodiebobs, would take us within 5 years of retirement :D
  • OMG! New diary and so much to catch up on.

I am finding debt again for the first time in about 20 years - it's a hard pill to swallow, but trying my best to keep it under control.

Hoping you are well.

Need to Read lol

MCI
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £82, 595.61 (31.08.2019)
    OP's to Date £8500

Renovation Fund:£511.39;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx £30 (31.08.2019)
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Don't think I'll ever completely forgive myself for my past. Can't let it consume me any longer though. :)

We are a similar age; I'm 37. My wife must be very close in age to you as she's 35 in April. Never have liked getting older since reaching adulthood but I think a few months of over indulgence hasn't helped. Feel incredibly unfit at the moment. :o
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Don't think I'll ever completely forgive myself for my past. Can't let it consume me any longer though. :)

The past is dead and gone. Good source of knowledge and logical lessons for the future - a poor source for anything emotional.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Thanks ZTD. I've just written that in my diary. :)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • misscousinitt
    misscousinitt Posts: 3,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 13 January 2018 at 11:25AM
    So, I have caught up with the diary from the beginning!

I have totally got wrapping paper box envy - the one I saw was £55 and I am afraid I can not justify that - going to look round for an alternative as I think it's a great idea.

You have totally inspired me about my debt, paying a little bit here and a little bit there. Most of mine is related to my new business and I know that a lot of this will get paid down when I sell more gifts and use the packaging up. But I do have a little personal debt and I think I will be selling stuff and paying down...

The debate about plastic was interesting - our charity was the first organisation to recycle plastic in our home town back in the mid 00s - the 'scrap' went to a processing plant that made garden furniture and gave jobs to disadvantaged youngsters - a win win situation until the council rolled out their scheme 18 months later.

Now I am in business I feel a responsibility to do my bit for the environment. I recycle all I can - kitchen waste and a lot of cardboard and paper (egg boxes and flour packaging). I also package my baked goods in paper bags on the stall (which if you buy in bulk are not that expensive) and I give out paper carriers - small and large (though I do need to look at something a little stronger this Christmas - just a few...). Most of my gift packaging with the exception of shrink wrap bags is reusable or recyclable. I know it's only a small contribution - but I have always tried to do my bit in whatever way I can.

I love square sausage! Each time I've been to Scotland I have absolutely loved it...occasionally we can get it here in the Midlands too and it's a lovely treat. Yum yum - hungry now.

When did you drive from Glasgow to Broadstairs? Broadstairs was our holiday place where I was a child (grandma had a house down there so free holidays) - been back a couple of times as an adult and I still love it. I have a relative down there. It's become quite a nice foodie place now (well it had last time I went) with some lovely restaurants...maybe time for another visit.

I am so pleased that you DD gives you so much joy and glad that she is now fit and well after her couple of episodes before Christmas.

Will endeavour to keep up to date and take inspiration where I can.

MCI
    OP's to Date £8500

• ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    So, I have caught up with the diary from the beginning!

I have totally got wrapping paper box envy - the one I saw was £55 and I am afraid I can not justify that

Is that the 77l one on Amazon? What about this one?
    http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/really-useful-clear-wrapping-paper-box-22-litres/571746-1000

Wrapping box envy? What? Me? :whistle:
    - going to look round for an alternative as I think it's a great idea.

It is.
    The debate about plastic was interesting - our charity was the first organisation to recycle plastic in our home town back in the mid 00s - the 'scrap' went to a processing plant that made garden furniture and gave jobs to disadvantaged youngsters - a win win situation

That's great and I'm 100% behind things like that. When they make money and create wealth - they're worth doing.
    until the council rolled out their scheme 18 months later.

And I'm against things like that, as what happens is that if the council can't make a go of it (which is quite often the case), then they divert money in from other sources to keep it going as they "can't be seen to be failing". It then destroys wealth at a vast rate of knots.
    Now I am in business I feel a responsibility to do my bit for the environment.

Dealing with waste in a business is a whole new can of worms... :eek:

https://www.gov.uk/browse/business/waste-environment

Maybe I should devise a quiz... :D:p
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Ed you ancient thing, you. 35!!

Loved the reference to the Aspidistra Novel. I found it painfully, bleakly funny reading.
  • Hi Z

Thanks for your comments.

The link to the hobbycraft box looks much more in my price bracket - thank you.

We were sad to give the plastic recycling up - it was a project that came out of surveying locals to see what they wanted to do with their waste and where the gaps in recycling were. It was funded by a small grant from the lottery and a a slightly larger one from the council.

We were very aware when the council rolled out their scheme that the majority of it would go to be incinerated and create power - not what we intended.

As I am a home business, my waste gets carried away with everyone else's - I don't have any special requirements as everyone cooks and has kitchen waste and food packaging - I just have a little more than most. I am glad to say the majority of my packaging is paper/cardboard waste and not too much of the dreaded plastic!

Ed - if you are old then I am positively ancient...and I'm not! Lol.

MCI
    OP's to Date £8500

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback