PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Comments

• Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    We've had rain most of yesterday and overnight, and quite breezy, too, so feels distinctly autumnal here - been trawling pinterest for autumn ideas! We'll have building work going on for the next 2-3 months, so will have to work stores into upstairs spaces for the time being. I'll be able to continue crocheting blankets, scarves and so on, though - DH laughs gently at seeing me sitting on the sofa covered in huge piles of wool!! :rotfl:

A xo
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • Just about to turn 2lb of loganberries from the garden into jam. Won 1st prize at the allotment show last year, so hoping it does well again this year. Freezer is packed with soft fruit at the moment, so need to process some into jams for the winter.
    Very windy here today. One sunflower has already snapped off.
  • upoiupou
    upoiupou Posts: 136 Forumite
    nicki wrote: »
    Started my winter prep shopping this week by buying a multipack of balsam pocket tissues. We go through a lot of tissues and keep the packs in our bags so when it rains and they get wet I throw them away.

I'm a bit confused. Everything in your bags gets wet when it rains? Wouldn't it be more old style money saving to keep the tissues in something waterproof, like a little ziplock bag, so you don't have to throw them away unused?
  • I keep tissues in a clear zip up pouch the kind u usually get underwear in in asda for instance I do the same with paperwork when I pay bill at post offices keeps things together as well as keeps them dry
    2nd purse challenge no040£0 Sealed pot challenge ???? £2 trolley find not counting small coins till end year
  • Made a start. OH & myself made a good clear out in garage and put in some shelves.
    Also got a couple of bags of wood & some fire logs. Intend to get some each week to build up supplies.
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 1,122
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    On the foodie front I have frozen a dozen free range eggs (bargain price) ready for pancakes or cakes, I've defrosted a pound of minced beef and added some smoked bacon and lentils to make five tubs of bolognaise and late last week I stocked up on a few tins of Fray B***** corned beef because they were on offer in Farm F**ds for 1.49. My freezer is groaning with reduced price good quality bread courtesy of Tesco reductions and I even have a piece of beef tucked away for Christmas.

I will be making some gooseberry jam and hopefully, if the berries ever ripen up, some blackberry jam. I stocked up on sugar when it was on offer for 39p locally and will use some of this for the jam.

Realistically we are never going to be cut off by bad weather for more than a day or two because we don't live out in the sticks but I do love the idea of squirreling food away for the winter.

I also want to make some chutney this year! I've never ever made it so I'm looking at my recipe books for ideas! The jam jars are already in a box in the garage.
    :hello: :wave: please play nicely children !
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 1,122
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Muffin Man 7

I keep things corralled together in my bag too! I have a small slim pencil case and I keep a pen, my specs, headache tablets, my eye drops and any other small item in there. It makes it easy to swap bags over when I want to. I use the small zip lock bags for paperwork as well.

Once the kids have gone back to school in September you can usually pick stationery items up for pennies and they come in so useful for keeping things separate or clean. My knitting patterns are kept in plastic folders and then stored away in folders as are my sewing patterns. I just need to organise the rest of my life as well!
    :hello: :wave: please play nicely children !
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    upoiupou wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused. Everything in your bags gets wet when it rains? Wouldn't it be more old style money saving to keep the tissues in something waterproof, like a little ziplock bag, so you don't have to throw them away unused?

Yes I'd do that, but that's not an option for my teen daughter and the ones she takes to school though. I actually need to replace my bag as its about 8 years old, heavily used every day and its falling apart. I've already reattached the strap, reinforced where the strap attached to the bag, replaced the zip but the replacement one has bust now. The problem is finding one thats suitable as a replacement. I'm still trying to find a replacement for the one which became the dog walking bag over a year ago now. :(
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • plumduff55
    plumduff55 Posts: 859
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi, I've posted on this thread a few years ago but always read it and enjoy the excitement of getting prepared for winter.

Today was the start of having a new boiler installed and it's been a long hard road to get to this point.

I have always had a back boiler with hot water tank and really liked that system but last year I had major problems with it and had no heating for nearly 3 weeks from December to January. Being in a terraced house it was really difficult finding somewhere to site a combi boiler - the main option seemed to be in the loft but I was really not keen on that having fallen out of the loft several years ago.

Anyway I eventually found a local plumbing business who are installing the boiler in an upstairs cupboard and venting out through the roof. I am sitting here surrounded in mess as there seems to be work being done in every room except one BUT I am really excited knowing that I won't have the cold miserable Christmas and New Year I had last year 😄😄😄.

Work should take another two days then I shall have a wonderful time reorganising the whole house. I have also made 8 jars of plum jam yesterday and 6 jars of strawberry jam last week. There nothing like toast and home made jam when it's cold and horrible outside xx
    Debt free - Mortgage free - Work free ( in that order :) )
  • Gosh it's been a while since I lurked about/ posted in fact I think it was 3 threads ago! But have decided that I've slipped off the thrifty band wagon and need to get on again!
    So this years winter aims are to be snugly warm and organised without spending a fortune !
    To do list......
    Get chimney swept dining room
    Remove fireplace in lounge to have chimney relived and woodburner fitted
    Find/ launder fleece throws
    Make curtain poles for ds2 room,currently only has roller blinds over single glazing
    Buy ds1 an additional school jumper/ hat/ gloves
    Locate electric blanket.......and leads......they like to play hide and seek......and didn't use last year as it was so mild in Devon
    Mend/re paint window frame X1 and cobble together a patch up job on v bad back door( replacing next yr if funds)
    Work out how to use timer on oven.....I'm thinking heating kitchen and cooking tea whilst I'm at work can only be a good thing!

Seems a lot to do but I have already tidied larder , and got 40 nets of kiln dried logs in and stacked ,and have put washi tape over exposed key holes.......so have made small step inwards!
    Am hoping for a drier winter as last year was so wet here,town river burst bank for first time in 87yrs and took out much of the contents of my sheds as well as giving my original woodpile a 3ft bath.........
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback