Welsh Mam on a mortgage free mission

Comments

• Good luck, aww, the puppy sounds cute.:) It is important to find a balance in life.
  • Hi Cariad71
    Happy Christmas to you.
    To find a thread you have subscribed to go to the top click on quick links a list appears and subscribed threads is half way down.
    2024 Decluttering 3273 ⭐️⭐️⭐️
  • Cariad71
    Cariad71 Posts: 251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks for that Miss Moneypenny. I've been trying to do that for ages!:j
    Starting balance £173,000 (Sept 2012) interest only so if we do nothing We will owe this at the end of the term😁😁
    Balance as of Sept 2014 £165,803
    Balance as of Feb 2015 £163,360
    Balance end of July 2015 £159,050
    Balance as of Jan 2017.... £138,033:j
  • Merry Christmas Cariad :)

We added to our family with a labrador puppy last week and I agree although not strictly money saving I already feel there will be a shift in focus with lots of family walks (free) and lounging at home with the dog rather than paying for entertaining days out etc.

Hope your puppy has enjoyed its first christmas :)

We have spent much of ours wiping wee up from the wooden floor, but I am still besotted with her!
    Mortgage 14/12/2012 - £309865 :cry:
    First challenge - clear outstanding loan of £6K by 31/03/2013 before tackling the mortgage
    £3035/£6000

Rather optimistic mortgage free target :rotfl:31/12/2022
  • Happy Christmas, it sounds like you're doing a great job. I'm not sure about the emergency fund, ours is huge at the moment and DH and I don't like to have less than £10k but then that's only about 3 months of outgoings for us and we only have minimal insurance (buildings, contents, cars and that's it).
    I'm a qualified accountant but please make sure you get expert advice as any opinion is made in a private capacity.
    "A goal without a plan is just a wish" Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Mortgage overpay 2012: £10,815; 2013: £27,562
    Mortgage start £264k, now £232k
  • we accept a mortgage on both of them but in assumption a alimony pot you accumulate ascendancy of is a abundant idea.
  • Cariad71
    Hi all,
    I've managed to overpay during December which wasn't easy! I'll be glad to get my next pay cheque.....which isn't until the end of January. Happy Camel, thanks for feedback on emergency fund. In the past we have always had a large pot of money in the bank. I feel psychologically different knowing that it's no longer there. I'm asset rich, money poor lol! However, in the past 20 years, 'emergencies' have only ever equated to 'needing a new washing machine' or 'having to find a £100 excess for the insurance'. We are also overpaying £800 a month, so if things go pear shaped, we could just stop this. So far so good!
    Polkadot Dress, thanks for your post. How's the pup? We are having a bit of a problem with biting at the moment. I'm using time out and replacing body parts/clothing/shoes with appropriate biting toys........but this is one stubborn lil pup! We'll get there.
    As for the sales, I managed to just buy some birthday gifts for 'January birthdays'.
    We are hoping to hammer the overpayments for the next 2 years to get a 60% LTV which will cushion us against interest rate rises.
    This means doing minimal cosmetic work on the new house. So I just have to be patient.
    Happy New Year everyone x
    Starting balance £173,000 (Sept 2012) interest only so if we do nothing We will owe this at the end of the term😁😁
  • Cariad71
    Hello everyone,
    I'm back and motivated. We've done a lot of work on the new house over the last 18 months so overpaying has taken a bit of a back seat.
    We've got an interest only mortgage so if we don't overpay we'll be stuck with a hefty debt!
    We are still renting out our first property (no mortgage left on this house). This is going really well. Yes..there's the occasional maintenance costs but I have excellent tenants and the rent comes in reliably every month.
    We've managed to gut/redecorate the living room and hall/stairs/landing and replace the decrepid fence.

I've still been overpaying. mortgage balance is now £165,900.... and I've got £1,900 in the bank ready to pay. I'm a bit torn between saving an emergency fund or slamming the mortgage. Rates are definitely going to rise soon.
    We're due to remortgage next month. Thinking of fixing for 4 years at 3.29%. Any thoughts?
    I'm aiming to get shot of mortgage number 2 in 12 years. Then sell house number one and enjoy early retirement.... I'm 43 now.

Oh well....best get on with the day....I'll be back.
  • Cariad71
    Well today I am annoyed.
    Rang the mortgage provider about getting a fixed rate for 4 years and there'll be a delay until they've processed the £2400 overpayment that I made in April!!��
    They were waiting for me to instruct them to apply it!! They've never needed this before! This means an interest rise in the meantime! Ggggrrrr��������
  • Cariad71
    Good morning all!
    Well after 4 phone calls Bank of Ireland (Post Office) finally credited our overpayment.
    This resulted in us missing the period to get a fixed rate for a month! So aaargh....SVR meant a monthly hike of £170.
    The good news is that they'll reserve the fixed rate of 3.29% for us until 1st Oct. So we will be on a fixed rate of 3.29% for 4 years. It's a bit of a gamble but I'm convinced it'll pay off.....and we need to know where we are with payments.
    We've decided to overpay at least £1000 every month. Still have no savings but plenty of interest free credit cards/overdraft if we need it. Both our jobs cover full sick pay. If worse comes to worse we can use the £1000 a month that we use to overpay.
    I have never really had any need for an 'emergency fund' other than a few hundred quid (new washing machine etc). House is insured. Lives insured too. So hence no 'emergency fund'. Am I missing something?

Anyway.....off to Lidl to get some cheap basics and the sun is shining!
    Catch you all later...have a good day!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills