Unlock your ZTE 627 Mobile Broadband Dongle (the free one from MicroP) for FREE!

Comments

• Nintey
    Nintey Posts: 284 Forumite
    iceburn wrote: »
    50p a day is using a phone simcard not the one that comes with the dongle.

Hi Thanks for the reply, I realise you have to unlock it and put a 'Three' pay as you go sim card in there, but on the Three website it says that you only get 150mb of mobile broadband which only lasts 90 days? How do you get the 50p day allowance? is this some kind of 'Add On'?
  • iceburn
    iceburn Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Post
    just remember one thing they change things from the 1st June :-(..... will have a check to see if possible now to do the 50p to £5 for new customers which will be what you are.

Just check nope can still do it

http://www.three.co.uk/Pay_As_You_Go/Do_more_with_Add_ons

But it have to be a "mobile pay as you go simcard" Not one that come with the dongle. And yes it is an addon.
  • iceburn
    iceburn Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Post
    alanwsg wrote: »
    I unlocked my dongle as described and now when connected it has a blue light flashing on it, it was green before.
    According to the userguide, this indicates it's connected to the gprs/edge network rather than 3G but the speed is very good, it seems faster than before.
    Any ideas what's going on?

are you using a different network sim, cause if so that might be where the speed increase is. Cause in reality the speed you connect (within reason of course) make no difference. What is important is the contention ratio. So if the network you sign upto now have no one else using it in your area. Than the 384kb (I think that is EDGE speed will be all yours. But (in simple terms here.) If you connect to three at say 2mb but 20 people are using it at the same time. Your connection will be in reality be only 102.4kb. Think of a motorway, the speed limit might be 70mph but as more cars go on it it gets congested, hence the speed flow drops until offpeak occur or more lanes are created to overcome the increase demand. Or some extra charging like congesation charging to change ppl habit (in internet world that would be FUP / bandwidth management.
  • I followed all the great advice about unlocking the dongle, which worked perfectly. Then installed the Telstra Connection Manager but could not get it to work with my Vodafone SIM card. So I uninstalled Telstra and wanted to reinstall 3Connect but the software has disappeared from the dongle! Only 'Globe' Connection manager stuff there. Help! What should I do? Is there anywhere I can download it again?
  • andyuk1
    andyuk1 Posts: 14 Forumite
    If you send me your email address I will email you a copy of the 3connect software.
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I followed all the great advice about unlocking the dongle, which worked perfectly. Then installed the Telstra Connection Manager but could not get it to work with my Vodafone SIM card.

Once unlocked, a Voda SIM should work. Did you enter the Vodafone details correctly into the connection manager:

e.g.
    APN: internet
    Username: web
    Password: web
    Primary DNS: 158.043.240.004
    SMTP gateway (for email): smtp.vodafone.net

Has your Voda SIM been used for data before, sometimes data needs to be enabled by the network operator before it can be used.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • Thank you Andy, I have sent my email address.
    Thank you Espresso. I did put in some of those settings but maybe I should try again.
  • jamiex
    jamiex Posts: 207 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    andyuk1 wrote: »
    If you send me your email address I will email you a copy of the 3connect software.

Luckily I copied all of the files before reflashing the firmware.

Here's a link to the 3Connect software for anyone who needs it:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/5081/3connect.zip

I managed to get the Telstra Connection Manager to work with both a 3 Mobile contract SIM card and a Vodafone contract SIM card so it's just a matter of getting the settings right.
  • alanwsg
    alanwsg Posts: 763 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I unlocked my dongle and I've just got an O2 HSDPA PAYG Sim card off Ebay for £1.85.
    Worked pretty much straight away, slower than the '3' network: I was getting aroung 3Mb on '3', I get about 0.5Mb on O2, could just be the area I'm in.

The O2 deal is better for me: I just need occasional use and a backup for my home broadband. With O2 I can buy a day's access for £2 or a week's for £7.50. More importantly, the SIM doesn't expire if I don't use it for 6 months.

I also tried a [free] PAYG sim from '3', but if it's got no credit it on it you can't but any without either a 3G phone to put it in or some other way of accessing the web.
  • kar999
    kar999 Posts: 706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just don't register a credit card. This would automatically allow them to bill you if you start to exceed the arbitrary 'fair use' limit.

The only way to get the above is to buy a topup in a shop, put the simcard in a compatible phone (my voda n96 was unlocked) and topup, once it has been confirmed as on the account, plug the sim back into the dongle and then select 'add addon' in my3.

I bought my £10 voucher from the corner shop with cash. I was buying a voucher for an O2 sim and you dont need to activate it in a mobile phone at all. You can do it simply by ringing a landline number. Just quote the voucher codes and your sim mobile number

Call the O2 Top-Up line free by dialling Hotkey 3 or 4444 from your mobile phone or 08456 062 277 (calls charged at the local rate) from any landline.

For Three Sims I think you can activate online here:

https://my3.three.co.uk/myaccount/activateVoucher.done
    If the ball had gone in the net it would have been a goal.
    If my Auntie had been a man she'd have been my Uncle.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure