Boots Sale

Comments

• kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    spendless that's brilliant, I can't wait to see th contents. You're right, she does have her own range of cosmetics etc and had some other gift sets in Superdrug this Xmas. Actually I think some of those were quite nice to tweens or teens and deff better value than Boots. I have a couple of young ladies I do buy for but didn't go for Zoella as I'm pretty sure one of them would not be into her and it's easier to get them both the same gift.

Not been in my local so sure there's nothing left ahh well it was fun for another year.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,117
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Ok, DD is safely out of the way, so I fetch you 'The Zoella calendar' as tonight's entertainment.

It is described on the box as 'The lifestyle advent calendar' so it is indeed half an advent calendar, whereas I thought of it as being a '12 days of christmas calendar' to be used from Christmas Day till twelth night made more sense.

I shall assume DD is the recipient and give you her likely reactions as well as my comments. For background DD is 14, almost 15, sometimes thinks she's 27 and sometimes acts as though she's 2. ;)

Anyway

Day 1- Xmas dec- ceramic coaster size and shape bauble with wording 'merry and bright' could also be used as a coaster. Unfortunately for DD the Xmas tree is unlikely to be up on Dec 1st/2nd as she doesn't have a mother who puts it up that early, will either be used as the coaster or lost/broken before the tree goes up.

Day 2 - Very pretty packaging saying Zoella make a wish confetti, open it up and it's table confetti , green and gold stars. Very naff, DD will either think it goes with all the boring stuff that parents buy like napkins or decide it's fun to decorate her schoolfriends and schoolbag with it and end up in detention.

Day 3 - A star shaped cookie cutter, small and relatively flimsy, maybe my 16yo neice who likes baking would appreciate it, but for DD it also belongs in the 'random household stuff that parents buy' drawer along with the table confetti. No better quality than the type that I used to sometimes get as the 'free' gift on comics for her, when she was 6!

Day 4 - booklet saying 'sticker collection' Turns out to be 7 stickers that you'd put on presents you've bought someone as they say things like 'Don't open until 25th December' and 'lots of love' DD will think the stickers pretty, complain about the amount of them as that means 'Chloe' won't be able to have one, unless I go buy another calendar and how unfair I am when I refuse and then after sulking for a bit, keep them just for her 'besties' and the others can have some from a bumper roll Mum bought in Home Bargains for 39p, whilst rolling her eyes and making comments about how cheap I am.

Day 5 - The best so far, described elsewhere as a 'purse' it's actually a slim pencil case or small make up bag. Admittedly you wouldn't fit too much in it, DD's lip balm collection or the few stationery items I carry with me, to ensure I always have a pen if needed. If she doesn't want this, then I'm having it!

Day 6 - Another good day. A votive candle in festive cookie' in a glass holder that's decorated with gold gingerbread men. Shame Mum doesn't let DD have candles, convinced she'll burn the house down.

Day 7 - On a roll now. Small room spray in 'Christmas clementine'. Perhaps it would have been better to have a bodyspray as a gift, but never mind. DD likes everything to smell 'pretty'. She will probably keep this on hand to douse her room in if her brother comes in.

Day 8 - Slim gold pen. Also nice and it works (I checked!) Admittedly it's not as nice as the Swarvoski pen I found in her pencil case last week - a gift to me from my husband's employers at a very swanky everything paid for weekend DH and I went on a few years ago and def not as nice as the Cross pens of DH's that cost upwards of £40 and were also found in her schoolbag.

Day 9 - OMG - I thought someone had left a small tuft of hair in there by accident. It is a weird green-black hairy key-ring! DD will clearly think this is an opportunity to point out what a good bargain buying her a £39 Michael Kors pom-pom key-ring is instead. I might just use it as a threat, that if she loses another door key, that's the key-ring she'll be using.

Day 10 - Another cookie cutter - Gingerbread man shaped. See day 3 for thoughts!

Day 11 - Notepad. This is small and thin but not as minuscule as I'd imagined it to be. Ok for the odd note. Can't look inside as it's shrink wrapped in plastic. Very likely I'll be adding it to the stationery items I keep in my bag.

Day 12 - Really lovely. Substantial size candle fragrance 'Christmas clementine' the room spray makes a bit more sense now in a decorative glass container. DD will be on a sulk that she now owns 2 candles and isn't allowed either of them.

Overall view - Was it worth £50. Hell, No. Even with my Zoella fan I'd have wanted to pay about £20ish, maybe upto £25 as an 'indulgence'
  • kerri_gt
    Forumite
    Spendless :rotfl: that was utterly brilliant and has made my evening - thank you for buying it and describing it all so well. I honestly cannot fathom how anyone would price that at £50 when you compare it to some of the others about, even the Prosecco calendar from Aldi...though granted giving that to a 14yr old would quite prob be frowned upon :rotfl:
    JAN NSD 11/16

• redagila
    redagila Posts: 6,287
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Well done Spendless - I can see your daughter now & brings back memories of mine at that age. You gave me a good laugh before I'm off to bed.
  • Techno
    Techno Posts: 1,169
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    As expected - Zoella was well worth a fiver but definitely wasn’t worth 50 quid :D
    ;) If you think you are too small to make a difference, try getting in bed with a mosquito!
  • Africat
    Africat Posts: 1,078
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm still baffled by half an 'advent calendar' are you meant to do them every other day or what???
    How could she (Zoella) get it so wrong :rotfl:

Should've just sold 'em at 15quid before Christmas, they're quite bulky to be buying to store away now, boxes will just get tatty and no guarantees that teens will still be into her come Christmas 2018 :rotfl:

Spendless
    I'm still cracked up by the MK pom-pom keyring being cheaper than the original price of the so-called 'calendar' :rotfl:

Hope your DD doesn't read this forum or Mum's gonna be in big trouble ;) :rotfl:
  • kerri_gt
    Forumite
    edited 10 February 2018 at 12:25PM
    Africat with logic like that spendless DD will go far in this world :rotfl::D
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Spendless wrote: »
    Ok, DD is safely out of the way, so I fetch you 'The Zoella calendar' as tonight's entertainment.

It is described on the box as 'The lifestyle advent calendar' so it is indeed half an advent calendar, whereas I thought of it as being a '12 days of christmas calendar' to be used from Christmas Day till twelth night made more sense.

I shall assume DD is the recipient and give you her likely reactions as well as my comments. For background DD is 14, almost 15, sometimes thinks she's 27 and sometimes acts as though she's 2. ;)

Anyway

Day 1- Xmas dec- ceramic coaster size and shape bauble with wording 'merry and bright' could also be used as a coaster. Unfortunately for DD the Xmas tree is unlikely to be up on Dec 1st/2nd as she doesn't have a mother who puts it up that early, will either be used as the coaster or lost/broken before the tree goes up.

Day 2 - Very pretty packaging saying Zoella make a wish confetti, open it up and it's table confetti , green and gold stars. Very naff, DD will either think it goes with all the boring stuff that parents buy like napkins or decide it's fun to decorate her schoolfriends and schoolbag with it and end up in detention.

Day 3 - A star shaped cookie cutter, small and relatively flimsy, maybe my 16yo neice who likes baking would appreciate it, but for DD it also belongs in the 'random household stuff that parents buy' drawer along with the table confetti. No better quality than the type that I used to sometimes get as the 'free' gift on comics for her, when she was 6!

Day 4 - booklet saying 'sticker collection' Turns out to be 7 stickers that you'd put on presents you've bought someone as they say things like 'Don't open until 25th December' and 'lots of love' DD will think the stickers pretty, complain about the amount of them as that means 'Chloe' won't be able to have one, unless I go buy another calendar and how unfair I am when I refuse and then after sulking for a bit, keep them just for her 'besties' and the others can have some from a bumper roll Mum bought in Home Bargains for 39p, whilst rolling her eyes and making comments about how cheap I am.

Day 5 - The best so far, described elsewhere as a 'purse' it's actually a slim pencil case or small make up bag. Admittedly you wouldn't fit too much in it, DD's lip balm collection or the few stationery items I carry with me, to ensure I always have a pen if needed. If she doesn't want this, then I'm having it!

Day 6 - Another good day. A votive candle in festive cookie' in a glass holder that's decorated with gold gingerbread men. Shame Mum doesn't let DD have candles, convinced she'll burn the house down.

Day 7 - On a roll now. Small room spray in 'Christmas clementine'. Perhaps it would have been better to have a bodyspray as a gift, but never mind. DD likes everything to smell 'pretty'. She will probably keep this on hand to douse her room in if her brother comes in.

Day 8 - Slim gold pen. Also nice and it works (I checked!) Admittedly it's not as nice as the Swarvoski pen I found in her pencil case last week - a gift to me from my husband's employers at a very swanky everything paid for weekend DH and I went on a few years ago and def not as nice as the Cross pens of DH's that cost upwards of £40 and were also found in her schoolbag.

Day 9 - OMG - I thought someone had left a small tuft of hair in there by accident. It is a weird green-black hairy key-ring! DD will clearly think this is an opportunity to point out what a good bargain buying her a £39 Michael Kors pom-pom key-ring is instead. I might just use it as a threat, that if she loses another door key, that's the key-ring she'll be using.

Day 10 - Another cookie cutter - Gingerbread man shaped. See day 3 for thoughts!

Day 11 - Notepad. This is small and thin but not as minuscule as I'd imagined it to be. Ok for the odd note. Can't look inside as it's shrink wrapped in plastic. Very likely I'll be adding it to the stationery items I keep in my bag.

Day 12 - Really lovely. Substantial size candle fragrance 'Christmas clementine' the room spray makes a bit more sense now in a decorative glass container. DD will be on a sulk that she now owns 2 candles and isn't allowed either of them.

Overall view - Was it worth £50. Hell, No. Even with my Zoella fan I'd have wanted to pay about £20ish, maybe upto £25 as an 'indulgence'

Brilliant - I've just read it this morning so that's set me up for the day. If by some chance I pass a Boots store today I'll poke my nose in and see what's left. If anyone spots a random woman chuckling to herself in Boots it'll be me remembering things from Spendless's post.

See you all back on here in December/January for more fun and predictions, take care everyone xx
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,863
    Homepage Hero I won, I won, I won! I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Senior Ambassador
    Africat wrote: »
    I'm still baffled by half an 'advent calendar' are you meant to do them every other day or what???
    How could she (Zoella) get it so wrong :rotfl:

They haven't got anything wrong, there are only 12 days of Christmas?
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • kerri_gt
    Forumite
    sarah1972 wrote: »
    They haven't got anything wrong, there are only 12 days of Christmas?

The 12 days of Christmas are after Christmas are they not? Leading up to the 12th night when the wise men finally turned up with their gifts. Hence that's the last night of having decorations up. They saw the star to follow when Jesus was born on Christmas Day and it took them 12 nights to travel to the stable. I think it's generally forgotten that it didn't happen all on the same nigh..imagine all those parents sitting through a 12 night long nativity :rotfl:

Advent calendars in their traditional form start on Dec 1st up to Xmas eve in the countdown to Christmas, so 24 days. They were first used in the 19th century by German protestants in the lead up to Christmas.
    JAN NSD 11/16

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family