Suspected faulty water meter

I had a water meter installed in April 2016 after researching and working out how much water we actually use. I believed that I could reduce my bills by approximately 50%. The meter readings for the first year were 198 cubic meters. There are only two of us in the house and on my bill it says the typical usage for 2 people is 45 cubic meters for 6 months making this reading more than twice that.
I contacted my water company and they did a check of the meter in July 2017 and said the meter was fine. I am unable to read the meter myself as it is under a pavement outside of my house.
My latest bill has a reading from July 2017 to November 2017 which shows a reading of 67 cubic meters for four months. This would equate to 100 cubic meters for 6 months more than double the typical usage. I have contacted the water again and they said they will check the meter again in the next few weeks and get back to me by the end of February.
I questioned as to whether or not the water meter could be faulty and was told I could have the meter taken away to be checked and the cost would be £79. If a fault is found my £79 would be refunded but if not I would lose this money. I am a pensioner and don't have £79 to gamble with.
The company said I could go back to not having a meter if I request it to be removed before 26th April. I do not want to do this as I know other people who have gone onto metered water and have saved about 50%. Can anyone help me with this dilemma.

Comments

• Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I know it sounds dull but is there any chance you could have a small leak somewhere, for example a tiny (unnoticable) trickle of water coming from your cistern into the toilet bowl?
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • Thanks for replying. We did have a small trickle in the toilet but replaced the valve and it's fine now. Have checked out everything in the house.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Why cant you read it yourself - the fact that it's in the pavement doesn't preclude you from reading it. Just make sure you replace the cover properly so you dont cause a hazard.

You should turn off the inside stop-valve, make sure that there;s no water flowing and then check that the meter isn't rotating - if it is then there's a leak between your stop-valve and the meter which needs to be fixed.

By checking the meter yourself a bit more frequently than once every six months or a year when the meter reader comes you'll have a much better idea of your consumption and it would help you control it.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport