Cheaper Oil for Fuel?

Options

Comments

• fyr
    fyr Posts: 60 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes, paid just under that through our Oil Club; you can see price history here:
    http://www.mychieveley.co.uk/index.php?page=50
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As we're often quick to hand out criticism on MSE, here's a word or two of praise for Homefuelsdirect, a website I've never bought from before.

I've been tracking oil prices closely for a few weeks now as the level on my tank slowly dropped and with no obvious sign that prices were about to tumble, I bit the bullet and ordered from them on Tuesday. They were a fair bit cheaper than my usual local suppliers and also cheaper that Boilerjuice or Fueltool.

Interestingly, in the time it took me to note their price and call a couple of suppliers to see if they could match it, their price when I came to order had dropped almost a penny more, so I'd suggest you keep checking during the day.

Delivery took just two days and came from a firm called Certas - a very efficient operation and a cheerful driver.

I'm impressed, I must say - with the efficiency, the speed and, of course, the price.
  • enator
    enator Posts: 109 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just paid 45.89p inc VAT for a 500 litre top-up.

Should have bought more when it was 36.7p in June :mad:
  • Richmc
    Richmc Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    fuelz wrote: »
    Unfortunately they don't offer a true online quote functionality, so fuelz can't return the live prices for D A Roberts :(

Although what you do is admirable there are two problems. First a lot of small independent companies will only quote "live" the two main ones serving North Cornwall will quote over the phone and are willing to price match or better to keep ones custom. The second problem is as the price fluctuates hourly so many other comparison sites require your email address and phone number, this has led in the past to me receiving unwanted and unsolicited calls and emails many and in fact most not fuel related, that has led me to never use on line quote services. I know this is NOT how fuelz works but is unfortunately tarred with the same brush.

Indecently, my two independents were able to undercut the prices that fuelz gave me. I not knocking what fuels are doing, but in the case of fuel oil it seems that the good old search locally and use the phone is king.
  • Richmc
    Richmc Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Handy hint, if you want to pay by credit card but don't want to pay a surcharge, use paypal if it's offered then elect to use your credit card from there, I use an Amazon card so not only avoid the charge but get a bonus from the card company!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    fuelz wrote: »
    Ahh - thanks,

I thought it best to be open rather than try and do a "I've just found this site" type post.

I've submitted to MSE as a promo, so hopefully they can add it to this thread like the other,
    Apologies, I'll go and read the rules now.
    Have MSE now granted you permission to post? If so, you're required to add a signature saying so (or maybe MSE adds it for you - I'm not sure).

It's also a condition that your posts should provide practical advice and impartial facts rather than be in any way a means to further your commercial aims.
  • GaryK
    Options
    I’m being quoted 57ppl for oil in Colchester from a number of suppliers
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 27 February 2018 at 4:32PM
    Options
    GaryK wrote: »
    I'm being quoted 57ppl for oil in Colchester from a number of suppliers
    Ouch. But we are in a cold snap and demand / price is therefore higher. Have you checked out alternatives via Fuel Tool or other similar services?

Just 2 weeks ago ordered fuel to fill my tank, with 1000 litres. (Bedford area).
    Three locals quoted:
    1) 48.00p +vat or 49.20p for 500l.
    2) 47.50 (>900l) or 50.00 for 500l.
    3) 45.97 or 46.97 from my regular, and closest, supplier.

was delivered a week ago and am awaiting the bill.

Was only 37.95p in September, though for 500l via our village 'club' who get a slightly better rate than me as an individual.
  • trilla1337
    Options
    I have just ordered from FuelTool 1000 litres at 47+ INCLUDING VAT.

This is far more than I paid last year but is cheapest I've found. Have got to wait 10 days though :/
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Prices jumped during the Beast from the East.

They were rising slightly before the snow hit (45ish to 49ish), then way up to 59. Ouch!

It's demand driven and profit-taking, as world wholesale prices have actually fallen....

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback