PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I had a meet up with 2 lovely ladies from this thread in Norfolk last year it was those I'm sure it was this thread we were on kazwookie was definately one and other was a Polly

My brain has had a lot of sleep since then and messages deleted,
    Sorry for confusion.

Ever late again :o

Yes it was mav and myself, I'll text you, if you are read thing this.

On my way up tomorrow, Red Arrows!!
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • Charly27
    Charly27 Posts: 602 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Early rain gone and looks like another beautiful day in Norfolk. Yesterday we KM'd another two trailers of Laurel to the green waste at the recycling centre. That's 5 in total! We started out with the intention of 'pruning' then DH actually said "Does it spark joy in you?". Nearly wet myself:rotfl:I don't like digging up living things but we never planted it and my goodness the light and space in our small garden we have created is unbelievable :j I'm almost busier in the summer holiday than at work but with different things. Slowly redoing books and clothes but to be honest they have never been a problem sine I first did them. My 'spark joy' receptors have been honed. :A I either get books from library or CS then return them or pass them on. Clothes I'm making myself to reduce fabric stash and making cards and presents as I go. I actually find it harder to part with ££££ as someone said a couple of days ago on here. I feel more in control of my choices. Weird stuff does happen. My therapy room is almost completely decluttered now just needs a good clean before I start doing massages part time alongside my pt teaching. I moved all my sewing stuff upstairs which makes more sense as it is now near the fabric. Right next stop paperwork. Enjoy your day all. Looking forward to more adventures on the thread. Enjoy red arrows.
    ‘One of our greatest freedoms is how we react to things’ said Mole.Cross stitch cafe WIP ‘The Best is yet to come’ Emma Congham & ‘A Year in the Life of’ HSC. TaDa Welcome
  • Aaleigha
    Aaleigha Posts: 615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Igamogam wrote: »
    I would make a list of or take a picture of anything you are keeping for post weight loss - especially if going in the attic. That way you wont forget its there for when the time comes to reassess if you want it :)

Thank you that is such a good idea
    Emergency fund £10,000
    Several categories with savings in
    Cars, house maintenance, birthdays
    Etc I have about 10 categories

Really happy to be debt free after being a compulsive spender
  • This_calls_for_cake
    This_calls_for_cake Posts: 23 Forumite
    edited 15 August 2017 at 12:49PM
    Options
    Managed to have a go at the cupboard under the stairs over the weekend, got rid of 3 boxes of stuff, mostly paperwork bits that were filed but I did have about a binbag of stuff to throw/recycle, still have another box of stuff to go through and all my sewing supplies are in there but we can now access both the filing cabinet and my husbands gun cabinet without having to drag all sorts of stuff out into the living room which is good
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Fabulously sunny here :) have caught up on 'must do's' so now I feel a shed clearance coming on........a shed where I have stockpiled stuff I thought would be worth a punt on Eb*y. Having now sold everything except 2 items which are now in CS bag, from last listing I think I will have a sort out and see what can go on next - so much better organised than having 'Eb*y piles' all over the house as it was pre getting my act together:D
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Everyone's doing so well!

Great idea about photographing clothes (would be good for other things, too) going into storage for a while as out of sight is so easily out of mind, too.

I don't have a loft (flat dweller) but I have had some much-loved clothes end up too small and I'm dieting my way back into them. I have reversed hangers of things which don't fit atm, with a cardboard swing tag on the hanger with the size and the date last tried on. So I can try again every 3 months or so and see if they now fit.

I also have one end of the drawer where I keep casual trousers for the too-smalls, so I know the left isn't ready to be worn yet, but the pairs on the right are good to go. Simple system but working well for me.

Have now worn two more pencils down to stubs and discarded and was amazed to discover that there are only another couple in left from the big bundle of part-used pencils brought from the parental home. Am also using 40 year old letterheaded paper from my pal's business. He was storing two brand-new reams of it, so old that there have been two amendments to the phone number since, anyone remember them adding a 1 after the 0 on the area code, then adding another digit to your number to make it have six digits instead of five...........?:rotfl:

Completely useless to man or beast. I am also sorting out some of his paperwork, which involves a whole drawer of Stuff from the early nineties, which is taking up badly needed space. I went thru A-D last Saturday, which was quite a lot to vet and decided to shred or recycle, I'll see about doing another few letters' worth this coming weekend.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    anyone remember them adding a 1 after the 0 on the area code, then adding another digit to your number to make it have six digits instead of five...........?:rotfl:

I very proudly still have a five digit phone number :D:rotfl:

Oops, met former colleagues / friends for lunch today and one who i inspired to declutter has Kondoed his wife.... :o:(
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We just spent a long weekend at my parents' and had a great time! I managed to get schoolbags for dds at a decent price, my parents cleared out their linen cupboard and gave me three sets of lightly used king size duvet covers (mine are getting threadbare, so these are very welcome), some ovenware (which I will try out and then decide to keep or pass on) and about 30 cotton hankies (yay! I had to send quite a few of mine to the ragbag, so am really happy with the new lot. I prefer cotton to paper, and mine last about twenty years each).

My aunt and uncle are clearing out their 5-bed house of forty years, ready to move to a one-bed serviced apartment and gave us some drinking glasses and a pile of towels.

Lots of stuff accumulated, but I'll sort through it, and only keep what I really like. The rest can go in theattic 'for Africa' or 'for charity' and will leave within the next year.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I took the last bag of the LP records to the CS yesterday, I have enjoyed chatting with the volunteer there as she looked through them and we reminisced about time past and music tastes:D

Have had to put back my meet up with bestie by a couple of weeks so the bags for the CS in that town will have to hang around for a while longer, but have already looked out a few books to go locally, so trying to keep the momentum going:)
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm spreading the word! DS1 has been the recipient of some surplus items of mine and he decided to have a clear out of a cupboard. Cue one bag to the CS with various kipple including an unused jigsaw, game controller and a large knitted toy that was used in the Johnny Vegas tea advert (why? - DS is 49!!!)
    Will be Kondoing some jobs, paperwork and dust today.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure