lowell chasing debt that doesnt exist

Hello all, im sure this question has been answered, but any help will be appreciated. I checked my credit rating to find it had dropped to under 400 (noddle). Lowell had put 3 defaults on my file without warning, no letter no calls. I rang them and they said i owe Orange on 2 accounts and Comet on the other. I genuinely have no idea about these debts. After a bit of research, i found a template letter asking lowell to send me original agreement, a statement for each account and £3 fee (£1 for each account) and to supply the information within 12 working days .
I received 3 replies from lowell (1 for each account) The one for Comet says the account is on hold until they receive the documentation, and will update me after 40 days if they have not heard from them.
The 2 for Orange are very similar, but they are saying that these accounts are not regulated by the CCA 1974, and therefore not required to supply them.
Again, they have put the accounts on hold until they hear from Orange.
Well, 12 working days have now passed and i have not heard anymore from lowell, so im wondering what to do next. The defaults are still on my credit file.
Thanks for any help

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,870 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 9 October 2016 at 4:31PM
    That's correct, mobile accounts are not covered by the consumer credit act, so a CCA request won't be appropriate in those cases, the comet one must of been a store card possibly ? That would be covered.

The 12 days are basically just guidelines, it sounds like they have requested proof of the debts from the original creditors, you can expect this to take anywhere up to a couple of months.

Just sit back, wait and see what they come back with, but I can tell you now, all orange will say is that the debt is owed and outstanding.

Any ideas who could be responsible for this, assuming it's not something you've forgotten about ???
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,483 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    It's also not appropriate to use a cca request on a debt you deny is yours, as only the account holder has the right to make that request under s77-9 of the Consumer Credit Act. Use a prove-it.

This thread explains

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2607247
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Orange could also be home landline and/or broadband, but I assume the same comment about CCA would apply.
  • Thanks for the reply,
    I know i dont owe this debt, if Orange just say the debt is owed and lowell dont have any hard evidence, what would be the next step Also how long do you give them to respond, cheers
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,483 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    The ball is in their court.

If what they come back with (and they will come back with something even if it's 'we've checked and you do owe us') doesn't convince you then the post #3 in my earlier link would normally apply as a follow-up to the prove-it.

But you may have to re-word it a bit so it links to what you've already said.
  • Just received a letter from lowell, all they have done is re-word the last letter saying I owe the debt. There is no evidence/documents, just a demand on their own letterhead. The 12 days have now passed. I'm going to write back to them using fatbelly link, but does anyone know if there is a time limit I give lowell as I have these defaults on my credit file which is affecting me. Cheers
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,870 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    luxsman50 wrote: »
    Just received a letter from lowell, all they have done is re-word the last letter saying I owe the debt. There is no evidence/documents, just a demand on their own letterhead. The 12 days have now passed. I'm going to write back to them using fatbelly link, but does anyone know if there is a time limit I give lowell as I have these defaults on my credit file which is affecting me. Cheers

Don't worry about time limits, DCA's never stick to them anyway, these things tend to drag on a long time until Lowell decide it's no longer worth there while chasing it, at which point they may pass it to one of there other shadow companies to continue harassing you, if you don't get a satisfactory answer to your next letter then complain to the financial ombudsman.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure