Former_MSE_Dan Posts: 1,593
Combo Breaker First Post
Forumite
edited 19 May 2011 at 2:36PM in Savings & investments
articlealert.gif

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

'Cheapest Way To Buy and Sell Shares' article

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply

IMPORTANT: This is not for the discussion of how to choose shares (for that go here) but just for talking about brokers and dealing costs.
Former MSE team member

Comments

• I'm a little confused by the table showing costs of share dealing where it seems to imply that if you buy/sell £1000 worth of shares you will pay £800 in costs over the year. Can this be correct or have I completely mis-interpreted the article at Yeah, that one
    Are Pie Shops open 22/7 ?

;)
  • rde
    rde Posts: 67 Forumite
    Interesting article, Martin. But you didn't mention that some companies do not allow the perks for shareholders to be passed on thgough nominee accounts. By companies I mean the brokers and the companies whose shares are dealt.
  • Aark
    Aark Posts: 247 Forumite
    I'm a little confused by the table showing costs of share dealing where it seems to imply that if you buy/sell £1000 worth of shares you will pay £800 in costs over the year.
    That figure is based on 5 buys & sells per quarter, mean value £1000 - not just one trade.
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Money Saving Expert
    Hiya

Aarks right - if you look at the key to the table it says 5 buys & sells per quarter, mean value £1000. In other words thats 40 seperate trades worth 1000 over a year.

As for Rde - i certainly do - i think you may've missed it. It's right up the top in the explanation of nominee accounts. As it happens hoodless B will allow perks upon requests (if companies permit it)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • HRS_2
    HRS_2 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Does anyone have a list of which companies offer perks/benefits if you hold shares in them?

I know that Avis give you discounts/preferential rates on booking with them and also send a couple of vouchers for renting their cars, and if you were lucky enough to have bought Debenhams shares a few years back then you still get a 12.5% discount (as long as you pay on their gold credit card).

Would be nice to have a list somewhere!
    stay lucky!
  • cheerfulcat
    cheerfulcat Posts: 3,334
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    HRS wrote:
    Does anyone have a list of which companies offer perks/benefits if you hold shares in them?

Yup, Hargreaves Lansdown has such a list -

http://www.hargreaveslansdown.co.uk/siteredesign/online_guides/shareholder_perks/index.asp

Just make sure that you are fully aware of how many shares you are required to hold to qualify for perks. Some companies don't have a minimum ( well,minimum one share, but you know what I mean :-) ) whereas others expect you to hold a few hundred. And of course, never buy shares for the perks only, unless the perks more than cover the cost of the shares...

HTH

Cheerfulcat
  • brian57
    brian57 Posts: 13 Forumite
    If you have a reasonably sized portfolio and you wish to take market views which mean that you may spend some time in cash, then be careful to avoid, if possible, those brokers (nearly all) who give lousy rates on cash balances. A poor rate can have much more effect on performance than levels of commission.
  • brodev
    brodev Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    I have about 4 holdings in cos. worth under £300, all in paper shares. My reading of this article suggests that I can join Hoodless B, send them my paper shares, have them convert them into E-shares and then sell them all for free if I do this in the first month. Am I correct? If so, I join tomorrow.
    Something Really Interesting
  • Scooby_Man
    Scooby_Man Posts: 131 Forumite
    How do companies pay their shareholders dividends when using brokers such as Hoodless B? Do you get a cheque through the post? Do the companies credit your account with more shares (i.e. distribute to Hoodless?)

What are the best times to buy generally? Tuesday mornings? Friday afternoons seems less favorable....
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback