How would you get rid of old oil tank????

Comments

• vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hi Canucklehead, thet've not finished the job yet - plasterers last day today - the heating people did get us a scrap collector, but it still has to be shifted, as Hugo mentions!

Not desperate - yet!!

Thanks for replies so far!

VB
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    vansboy wrote: »
    Hi Canucklehead, thet've not finished the job yet - plasterers last day today - the heating people did get us a scrap collector, but it still has to be shifted, as Hugo mentions!

Not desperate - yet!!

Thanks for replies so far!

VB

Good evening: So..did their quote not include removal and safe disposal of the old tank? I thought that would have been a standard item for an OFTEC installation.:confused: You would think that as many oil boiler installations are located in remote locations and the fuel/residue can present a hazard ,the removal/decommissioning and installation of tanks by OFTECs on challenging sites would be a regular occurrence.

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • OddjobKIA
    OddjobKIA Posts: 6,380 Forumite
    give it away to collecter advatise it as oil tank / water butt ideal for garden ie collect water of guttering
    THE SHABBY SHABBY FOUNDER
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,198
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    When we had an oil tank changed they used an electric saw to cut a corner off it to drain the last of the oil/sludge. This saw cut through quickly so might be worth hiring one if you are left with the tank. I should use ear defenders - the noise with the side of the tank vibrating like a drum was incredible!
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Good evening: So..did their quote not include removal and safe disposal of the old tank? I thought that would have been a standard item for an OFTEC installation.:confused: You would think that as many oil boiler installations are located in remote locations and the fuel/residue can present a hazard ,the removal/decommissioning and installation of tanks by OFTECs on challenging sites would be a regular occurrence.

Canucklehead

Good evening: As a courtesy, I thought I might get an answer from the OP... I get the message regardless.:wall:

Canucklehead
  • HugoSP
    HugoSP Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    Good evening: As a courtesy, I thought I might get an answer from the OP... I get the message regardless.:wall:

Canucklehead

Knowing Vansboy as I do I suspect he's not replied due to pressure of work, rather than due to a lack of courtesy.

To respond to your question though I know of several instances where the fitter has removed an oil fired boiler and not removed the tank. In one case I helped a neighbour of mine remove his tank, and took it away on my trailer, but it was completely accessable, so I could back the trailer right up to it and lift it on.

My understanding is that Vansboy is doing what he can to keep the job with budget, so removig the old oil tank is probably something that was excluded from the quote. How that hangs with the regs I don't know but that might answer your question.

Vansboy, do you have a photo on your website showing the situation?
    Behind every great man is a good woman
    Beside this ordinary man is a great woman
    £2 savings jar - now at £3.42:rotfl:
  • Good morning: I asked a simple question: a short answer to my query from the OP would have sufficed (he had posted on other threads yesterday:confused: )I'm very familiar with clients asking for exclusions from quotes in 'price sensitive' situations...happens frequently with gas central heating installations:D I'll move on......

Canucklehead
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hi Canucklehead!

Sorry I hadn't given a direct answer to you - my mistake!

The original agreement with the heating company was for us to remove all the existing installation - if you remember the giant pile of scrap in the pics on www.theupsidedownhouse.9f.com this was most of it. I'll take a pic of the tank in position, tomorrow, if I can.

The tank remains behind the garage & in position, until we gat it out. They did get all the other scrap away & we've only created a small amount extra, so far, plus the tank. The scrap collector will take this, too, but it's just the suggestions to shift it that we're still keen to hear of!

Thanks again for everyones input & promise I'll not be so slow to respond next time!!

VB
  • HugoSP
    HugoSP Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    vansboy wrote: »
    Hi Canucklehead!
    The original agreement with the heating company was for us to remove all the existing installation

Thought so ;)
    Behind every great man is a good woman
    Beside this ordinary man is a great woman
    £2 savings jar - now at £3.42:rotfl:
  • The tank remains behind the garage & in position, until we gat it out. They did get all the other scrap away & we've only created a small amount extra, so far, plus the tank. The scrap collector will take this, too, but it's just the suggestions to shift it that we're still keen to hear of!

Brings back memories ! {an old aga} chop up old scaffold poles, and roll the beast the 150 feet, was good enough for those ROMAN catapults.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure