Were flights mis-sold?

Options
On Feb 16th we found out my husband's brother had about 48 hrs left (we had been making plans for my husband to go and visit in the next couple of weeks). He lived in Durban, South Africa. I jumped on computer to find the easiest and quickest way to get my husband there (as painlessly as possible). No direct flights and many combinations. I opted for a major airline which seemed the fastest. Leaving from Heathrow flying to Joburg and a connecting flight to Durban. I purchased flights (on credit card).
Took hubbie to airport the following day. Later I spoke with his cousin in Durban to advise of flights and she alerted me to the fact the 2nd flight was 90mins after landing in Joburg... the second flight would require 45 min check in before flying so in theory he would have to disembark, clear passport control (UK passport) wait for baggage, customs transfer terminals and then check in .... within 45mins... and she said it was not possible. She was correct and he missed connection .. missing his brother passing away as a result.
Airline refused to talk to me as ticket in husbands name. Since he returned home we have written but they don't seem to understand the 'package' was mis-sold.. I would not have bought those flights had I realised connection not possible. There were a few different options but this was a big airline so I trusted them the quickest route...!! So any advice would be welcome thank you

Comments

• fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Was the complete journey ie LHR-JNB-DUR on one ticket or two?
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,102 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Did you book directly with the airline and was it all on one ticket/booking reference?
  • Bogalot
    Bogalot Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Options
    Minimum connection time at Johannesburg is 90 minutes, so assuming it was all on one ticket it is a valid connection. Did the airline accommodate him on the next flight?
  • Kittykat74
    Options
    All booked with the one airline directly with one booking reference. He had to get the next available flight .. ie there was a seat, there was no room on the next flight he had to wait for the next one so 5 hours at Joburg. It took him half an hour to clear passport control and baggage did not appear for another 20 minutes so .. there was no way he could catch the flight he was booked on.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,102 Forumite
    Options
    All airports have a Minimum Connection Time (MCT). Exactly as it sounds this is the minimum time airlines should sell connections at that airport. Obviously, due to circumstances, this doesn't guarantee a connection will be made, but should mean in most cases it will be.

With all connecting flights under a single itinerary, the airline has to guarantee the connection and get you to your final destination if a connection is missed through no fault of your own. This is what happened in your husband's case.

The poster above states that the MCT at Jo'burg is 90 minutes, so the ticket was not mis-sold.

It seems collecting baggage and rechecking is the problem here. Most countries you have to clear immigration at the port of entry, but bags will be through-checked meaning you don't have to worry about those.

I'm not familiar with South Africa, but it may be a requirement there that you have to collect bags at the first port of entry too - the USA has this requirement which can cause similar issues at some of their airports.
  • Kittykat74
    Kittykat74 Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    I have had this back from Joburg Airport...

Please note that passengers are encouraged to at least have 2 hours between connecting flights because any slight delays with the flight, immigration and security queuing might cause you to miss the connection. Kindly rework your booking to ensure you are not inconvenienced on your travel.
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    Kittykat74 wrote: »
    I have had this back from Joburg Airport...

Please note that passengers are encouraged to at least have 2 hours between connecting flights because any slight delays with the flight, immigration and security queuing might cause you to miss the connection. Kindly rework your booking to ensure you are not inconvenienced on your travel.

Of course they encourage people to have longer, and most people would try to make sure they had. Airlines do not sell 'illegal ' connections though. If they sell a connection it meets the MCT. That means it is doable, but it doesn't mean its advisable to book it. It depends on how well things go on the day, and how risk averse you are. It's all down to the choice of the person booking the flight.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Options
    Kittykat74 wrote: »
    in theory he would have to disembark, clear passport control (UK passport) wait for baggage, customs transfer terminals and then check in .... within 45mins...

It's odd that he would have to wait for baggage and check in again, on one ticket he and his bag would usually be checked through to his final destination. In any case, nothing was mis-sold assuming the connection was legal.
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    jpsartre wrote: »
    It's odd that he would have to wait for baggage and check in again, on one ticket he and his bag would usually be checked through to his final destination.

When you're connecting to a domestic flight you have to clear immigration, collect luggage and clear customs at your first point of entry to SA. You then drop your bags (there's usually a quick bag drop just after customs) but you're already checked in for your next flight. You arrive at your next airport in SA as a domestic passenger.
  • Kittykat74
    Kittykat74 Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    Normally I would do my research how ever due to the nature of this situation we had to act fast.
    We did not find out until my husband checked his luggage in at Heathrow that he would have to collect his bags at Joburg and then check them on himself for the connecting flight. This information was not in the booking info.
    However I have since been told this is quite common. You have to clear customs in the airport you arrive into the country in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure