Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • savvy
    • By savvy 29th Sep 10, 11:17 PM
    • 29,727Posts
    • 45,338Thanks
    savvy
    Making cards - Ideas (part 5)
    • 29th Sep 10, 11:17 PM
    Making cards - Ideas (part 5) 29th Sep 10 at 11:17 PM
    Welcome to the Card Craft thread where there are many members who are new to card making as well as the more experienced members who love helping others out on their path to making cards. If you are new to this craft please do post and somebody will be along with some advice for you

Please note this thread is now a continuation of an original thread on making cards - Part 1, the second thread - Part 2 , the third thread - Part 3, and the fourth thread here - Part 4, it may be a good idea to look these first for advice or ideas.
    Last edited by savvy; 29-09-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Page 258
    • jazabelle
    • By jazabelle 6th Feb 11, 8:07 PM
    • 1,686 Posts
    • 4,679 Thanks
    jazabelle
    Who makes those lovely name cards - the ones where it's kind of cut out and decorated (with a big shot I assume) please?
    "There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something better tomorrow." - Orison Swett Marden
    • PepPop
    • By PepPop 6th Feb 11, 8:22 PM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 18,641 Thanks
    PepPop
    Long post alert
    betterlife Hope you managed to get your cake finished without too much stress. It looks amazing Love the ala cake boss quilting effect (I love that programme - have you watched Ace of Cakes?)

Ali Wow great restraint on not buying the promarkers (can't believe I just typed that ) Cowling and Wilcox are still doing them for £5.95 a pack. Can't find the free delivery code though - I deleted the email

Laura Love your card - the hat and scarf are brilliant - how did you do it? Love the senitment on your valentines card too

Addams Wooo HOO Well done!!!!

Georgie have you tried cropping the image so that you don't have as much white space round it IYKWIM and then you could resize it.

dallam Hello and welcome - fantastic card - you've got another follower

dragonllew How's your finger? Oh and how's your DH doing, has he heard anymore from the hospital? Congratulations on the win

Fluffb Hello and stunning avatar

Twinkle and welcome back carmin

Flourgirl Nice tip

Louby OUCH I hope you find your glasses soon - I know what those kind of headaches feel like - it's no fun at all. Hope you find your ring again too.

Wow Wifey great restraint on not diving into the cake - are you feeling ok or did you not have the matching cosi?

Tomsmom - It wasn't me, honest guv Brilliant new about your OH his treatment seems to have worked well got everything crossed for you both and inside outies at the ready. Hugs

OAP I can sympathise OH came in from work, watched the footie, then the boxing he taped last night, then the footie he taped last night, then more footie from today then took himself off to his bed cos he's on earlies and only had a couple of hours sleep last night At least it gives me time to mess about on the comp

craftygranny I couldn't get your link to work

Jaz It's CT19720 that makes the name cards

Marg Your winner's blinkie is made and ready to go. Can't remember when the challenge ends but at least that bit's done - I might actually get a card made for it too

Hope everyone's having a great weekend. I'm off to put another card on my glob and then grab something to eat. I'll try to pop back on later so I don't need to keep adding huge posts
    • rainmac
    • By rainmac 6th Feb 11, 8:59 PM
    • 7,058 Posts
    • 57,284 Thanks
    rainmac
    Hi Tomsmom, great news, thinking of you and your OH. You'll get back into crafting when the time's right x
    If you want the rainbow, you've got to put up with the rain
  • dragonllew
    dragonllew How's your finger? Oh and how's your DH doing, has he heard anymore from the hospital? Congratulations on the win
    Originally posted by PepPop
    My finger is still sore it will sort it's self out in a couple of days just a pain when it plays up silly things really make it ache like peeling potatoes and hooving I'm sure DH thinks I'm just trying to get out of them lol.
    DH had the hospital again on Monday this time the chest clinic they couldn't find anything wrong but have given him some new medicine to help when he gets a cough and he has to go back in 3 weeks just waiting to here back from the other consultant as to whether they will give him medical clearance so he can apply for his driving licence back as it's almost 6 months since his last blackout.
    • jazabelle
    • By jazabelle 6th Feb 11, 9:19 PM
    • 1,686 Posts
    • 4,679 Thanks
    jazabelle
    Jaz It's CT19720 that makes the name cards
    Thank you!
    "There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something better tomorrow." - Orison Swett Marden
  • wanna-b-rich
    Evening ladies. My you've been chatty today! I went to see Gnomeo & Juliet this morning in a cinema about an hours drive from us - DH spotted a Hobbycraft and let me go in there after the film had finished! So, I finally managed to get an air canister for my Letrajet (only been sitting in the box since last April) and treated myself to a few other bits n bobs that were in the clearance sale. I find it amazing that the sale has been on for sometime and yet today they were bringing out boxes of stuff??

I can't remember exactly what I've read so sorry if I miss anything out!

Tomsmum - thanks for letting me know - our post is shockingly bad (letters delivered to wrong address, lots of missing parcels and it's not just me the whole road is effected, one neighbour has got a petition type letter together that we are all signing). I had a letter for an address in Bournemouth the other day!! Since Christmas I have had numerous letters/packages go astray that I have sent and the best the PO can do is offer postage stamps as compensation! I'm glad your DH is improving - it must be so stressful, no wonder you're not in crafting mode.

Dragonlew - hope the finger gets better soon.

Rainmac - shall we call you Nigella? Your cooking sounds heavenly

Congrats to our winners

Welcome to our newbies

Right I'd better get off of here and go and do some ironing, otherwise the kids will be going to school in civvies!
    Today I weighed in at 11st 1lb aiming to be 10st or less by August........OK the damage was worse than anticipated, Slimming World officially weighed me in at 11st 9.5lb the work starts here
    18/1 - 11st 4lb 25/1 - 11st 3lb 01/02 - 11st 2 1/2lb 08/02 - 11st 2lb 15/02 - 11st
    • Georgiegirl2012
    • By Georgiegirl2012 6th Feb 11, 9:43 PM
    • 538 Posts
    • 6,246 Thanks
    Georgiegirl2012
    Georgie have you tried cropping the image so that you don't have as much white space round it IYKWIM and then you could resize it.

Hope everyone's having a great weekend. I'm off to put another card on my glob and then grab something to eat. I'll try to pop back on later so I don't need to keep adding huge posts

You folks are marvellous - don't know why I didn't think of that myself. I used to be really into my photo-editing, but since I had to reformat my pc I haven't reloaded photoshop and I don't seem to be able to get to grips with the inbuilt windows one.

I've even figured out what IYKWIM means.

Still trying to work out putting a link in but only showing the word "here" in a post but that's a job for another time.

Hoping that I'll be able to make a card or 2 before the night is out.
  • Soma
    congratulations to our latest winners
    gearing up for another week of work (sigh)
    • PepPop
    • By PepPop 6th Feb 11, 10:05 PM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 18,641 Thanks
    PepPop
    My finger is still sore it will sort it's self out in a couple of days just a pain when it plays up silly things really make it ache like peeling potatoes and hooving I'm sure DH thinks I'm just trying to get out of them lol.
    DH had the hospital again on Monday this time the chest clinic they couldn't find anything wrong but have given him some new medicine to help when he gets a cough and he has to go back in 3 weeks just waiting to here back from the other consultant as to whether they will give him medical clearance so he can apply for his driving licence back as it's almost 6 months since his last blackout.
    Originally posted by dragonllew
    Wow is it that long - finger's crossed he gets his licence back.

Georgie I'd be lost without Photoshop - IYKWIM ( I probably made this up but - if you know what I mean ) I hate trying to edit things in word it always ends up looking like a dogs dinner If you click on the image in word and go into Picture tools it'll let you crop it from there. To add a link with here - highlight "here" then click the link button and type / paste your web address and it should work.

I'm off to carry on playing on the comp... I'll pop back before I go to bed
  • THE-WIFE
    Georgie if you want a free but basic photo editing system try downloadinding Picasa. It can do cropping, highlighting and a few effects too. If you let it loose you can organise your photos and put them in a filing system that makes it easy to find them.

I used to use Photoshop 'cos OH loves his camera and I learnt it through him but lost it when we had a new comp. Now I do all my editing through Picasa.

PepPop, you were so right! I had to wear red with me purple hat today so a red cossie would have clashed with the cake!
    Last edited by THE-WIFE; 06-02-2011 at 11:22 PM.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning the devil says, "OH CARP, SHE'S UP"!

• Discodave
    • By Discodave 6th Feb 11, 11:47 PM
    • 600 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    Discodave
    Not sure if this is the best place to post, so I'll start a new thread as well..

Bascially, along with my Auntie, I offered to design and make my best friends wedding invites (friday 18 nov 2011) and am due to send samples next week.

However, my auntie has just been taken into Hospital and it now looks as though she wont be able to help (shes the crafty one, i'm the IT geek!) so I am now stuck without samples/invites i promised my friends.

We have all the card (baby blue and pewter as requested by the B&G) and the text for the insert so am putting out a plea for anyone that can help. In total, we need 2/3 samples of each day and evening so B&G can choose ASAP, in order to get the rest done. (daytime is A5 folded blue card with pewter, ie: silver, insert. Evening is basic one side A6 blue with pewter trim.. or whatever we can do at this late stage.)

We initally offered to do invites as auntie is a lovely card maker (has done this for 20 years), but just isn't well enough at the moment, and now im kinda stuck as to where to go now. Also, this was going to be my wedding gift to them.

Any help will be great. We have loads of spare unwanted card that may be useful to anyone that can help, and can also look at giving you something for your time/help

a PM may be the best thing at present. I shall continue to hunt/plea for help, and will even scower ebay.

Many Many Thanks,
    Dave
    Last edited by Discodave; 06-02-2011 at 11:58 PM.
    • Georgiegirl2012
    • By Georgiegirl2012 7th Feb 11, 12:52 AM
    • 538 Posts
    • 6,246 Thanks
    Georgiegirl2012
    Georgie if you want a free but basic photo editing system try downloadinding Picasa. It can do cropping, highlighting and a few effects too. If you let it loose you can organise your photos and put them in a filing system that makes it easy to find them.

I used to use Photoshop 'cos OH loves his camera and I learnt it through him but lost it when we had a new comp. Now I do all my editing through Picasa.

PepPop, you were so right! I had to wear red with me purple hat today so a red cossie would have clashed with the cake!
    Originally posted by THE-WIFE

I love my camera too, but haven't used it much lately - I did a photography course, and as a student got about 70% off photoshop CS4 just haven't got round to reinstalling it yet, coz I'm not "doing photography" at the moment. I've even got a graphics tablet I haven't taken out of the box yet. If anybody wants to see some of my photos, but like I said no "proper" photography done for a while (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jenkomaggiemay1/)

I have made a card and a half a card tonight, but feel I should go to bed now. I can finish them tomorrow.

For anybody who watched/ordered the MCS Papercraft CDs 3/4/5 and saw nancy scrunching up paper flowers, I can confirm it works quite nicely.
    • Georgiegirl2012
    • By Georgiegirl2012 7th Feb 11, 12:55 AM
    • 538 Posts
    • 6,246 Thanks
    Georgiegirl2012
    Not sure if this is the best place to post, so I'll start a new thread as well..

Bascially, along with my Auntie, I offered to design and make my best friends wedding invites (friday 18 nov 2011) and am due to send samples next week.

However, my auntie has just been taken into Hospital and it now looks as though she wont be able to help (shes the crafty one, i'm the IT geek!) so I am now stuck without samples/invites i promised my friends.

We have all the card (baby blue and pewter as requested by the B&G) and the text for the insert so am putting out a plea for anyone that can help. In total, we need 2/3 samples of each day and evening so B&G can choose ASAP, in order to get the rest done. (daytime is A5 folded blue card with pewter, ie: silver, insert. Evening is basic one side A6 blue with pewter trim.. or whatever we can do at this late stage.)

We initally offered to do invites as auntie is a lovely card maker (has done this for 20 years), but just isn't well enough at the moment, and now im kinda stuck as to where to go now. Also, this was going to be my wedding gift to them.

Any help will be great. We have loads of spare unwanted card that may be useful to anyone that can help, and can also look at giving you something for your time/help

a PM may be the best thing at present. I shall continue to hunt/plea for help, and will even scower ebay.

Many Many Thanks,
    Dave
    Originally posted by Discodave
    Sorry to hear about your predicament and hope your aunty gets well soon. My mind doesn't think very straight at 00.54 on a Monday morning, so can't come up with any bright ideas right now, but I'm sure you will get lots of useful suggestions by the time I log back in on Monday evening.
  • THE-WIFE
    Dave if you are scouring ebay there are one or two sites that you can buy samples from that you will be able to take apart and get the measurements for.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning the devil says, "OH CARP, SHE'S UP"!

• Discodave
    • By Discodave 7th Feb 11, 9:02 AM
    • 600 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    Discodave
    Dave if you are scouring ebay there are one or two sites that you can buy samples from that you will be able to take apart and get the measurements for.
    If you want Photoshop CS3, erm. let me know
  • melissa75
    I am so chuffed that I won something - thanks Ali for letting me know. I've been really good lately and have hardly bought anything, although I've seen so much that I want! OH and I managed to sell our car yesterday so OH suggested that we each took £50 and bought ourselves something, so I'm thinking of a big stash spend - although typically there isn't one shop that sells everything that I want, and I hate paying all those postage costs!

Rainmac - you put me to shame - ironing and baking too!!! It has been quite refreshing looking at bows and flowers for a change rather than trains and robots! I think I went a bit over the top though - I was looking through the newborn outfits that I'd bought her and there's quite a few!!!!

Betterlife - hope your little one feels a bit better today.

PONR - can't wait to see your fab sock animals!! Congrats on the job!

Dragonllew - hope everything goes well at the hospital today.

Discodave - hope you get some help, I'm no expert on wedding stationary but I'm sure someone will be along today to help you.
    • PepPop
    • By PepPop 7th Feb 11, 10:31 AM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 18,641 Thanks
    PepPop
    Thought as much Hope you had a great day

Georgiegirl your pics are fantastic - I love the Egret one and the droplets, stunning work
    • betterlife
    • By betterlife 7th Feb 11, 10:37 AM
    • 841 Posts
    • 2,888 Thanks
    betterlife
    hi everyone, had a rubbish night as little one had me up 3 or 4 times and was sick a couple of times, this morning his temp has gone down slightly but still 100.4, he`s asleep on the sofa now bless him. i will update my blog/esty as soon as i can with any cards you have sent me, but am feeling very sluggish at mo as ive still got bad cough, antibiotics dont seem to be helping, so may have to revisit dr this week, and if little one doesnt improve will take him aswell. my eldest (10) said he was feeling bit sicky this morning but i think it was just to skive off school as we woke late and had 30mins to get all 3 ready and out the door. anyway will catch up later xxx
    One day I will live in a cabin in the woods
    • Marg
    • By Marg 7th Feb 11, 10:40 AM
    • 2,173 Posts
    • 25,241 Thanks
    Marg
    Good Morning!

Sorry, I've not posted in a while - I have been reading - not sure I will remember everything though!

My challenge ends this Friday, the topic is Water and these are the names I've got so far..........

Artydoll
    Jowri
    Georgiegirl
    Scatty Jan
    Wifey
    Flourgirl
    OAP - I think it was you who can't show yet?

Have I missed anyone?

Well Done! to our recent winners

Hello Newbies - Lovely cards you've shown us.

Melissa & Betterlife - I'm the eldest of 4 the rest were all boys -my Mum would have had another, no question, if only she could have been sure it was a girl. She always longed to be able to get more pretty things - even the grandchildren were all boys!

Dragonllew - hope your hand is getting better and DH gets on OK today.

TomsMum - Glad to see you posting & hope your DH makes good progress and your mojo comes back soon.
    • rainmac
    • By rainmac 7th Feb 11, 11:59 AM
    • 7,058 Posts
    • 57,284 Thanks
    rainmac
    My challenge ends this Friday, the topic is Water and these are the names I've got so far..........

Artydoll
    Jowri
    Georgiegirl
    Scatty Jan
    Wifey
    Flourgirl
    OAP - I think it was you who can't show yet?

Have I missed anyone?
    Originally posted by Marg
    Hi Marg, I am part way through making mine, will post when it's done x

It's still massively windy here, nearly got blown away going to school and that's quite a job as I am far from a skinny minny Done my jobs this morning - washing, Tesco, post office and took the car through the car wash as some 'lovely' birds had left about 30 splats all over my car yesterday

Big hugs to everyone and I hope all poorlies get better soon xxx
    If you want the rainbow, you've got to put up with the rain
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

980Posts Today

5,794Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin