Best currency to take to Turkey?

Options

Comments

• MORPH3US
    MORPH3US Posts: 4,906 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Maybe just me, but I felt that the shop keepers and market stall holders were a lot less willing to barter on my last two trips to Turkey... then I realised why...

Teenagers with their own money and away from their parents for the day going to the market, asking how much a <insert brand here> hoody / tracksuit / jeans are and when told the price, heard to say "wow, the real thing is 10 times that back home, i'll take it" and not bothering to barter at all.... hence I go and try to buy the same thing and shopkeeper won't budge....

The other problem is I am not a massive label person.... if there are two nice items of clothing at the same price i'd obviously go with the branded over non-branded one, but ever since I discovered Primark's dirt cheap prices, everything in Turkey seems expensive....
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MORPH3US wrote: »
    Maybe just me, but I felt that the shop keepers and market stall holders were a lot less willing to barter on my last two trips to Turkey... then I realised why...

Teenagers with their own money and away from their parents for the day going to the market, asking how much a <insert brand here> hoody / tracksuit / jeans are and when told the price, heard to say "wow, the real thing is 10 times that back home, i'll take it" and not bothering to barter at all.... hence I go and try to buy the same thing and shopkeeper won't budge....

The other problem is I am not a massive label person.... if there are two nice items of clothing at the same price i'd obviously go with the branded over non-branded one, but ever since I discovered Primark's dirt cheap prices, everything in Turkey seems expensive....

But thats the stupid thing about Turkeys (& others) snidy goods.
    They are NOT the labels:rolleyes:
    They are the same item as the one without the writing, its just some Turk has got creative with a pen & wrote something on it.
    But that garment has never been inside a <insert brand name> factory, no more than the plain one beside it.

It makes me laugh when they say "but its a XYZ":rotfl:
    No its not, its a t-shirt/bag/belt with XYZ WROTE on it.

Do they honestly think we are stupid enough to ever think its a Lacoste/Gucci/Prada/Hackett/Dior/Mulberry/ect:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • malid
    malid Posts: 360 Forumite
    Options
    I agree that the goods are inevitably fake; but some of them are very good and will satisfy most people if at the right price. As long as you know what you're buying, should be OK.

I hope my teenagers have been better 'trained' than to pay asking price. We'll see come August if this is an issue in Side; I won't be falling into the trap for sure and will walk away.
  • MORPH3US
    MORPH3US Posts: 4,906 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Exactly MrsE... we were looking for a Mui Miu (or something like that?) handbag for Mrs Morph3us...

Whenever we scoffed at their prices (£100+) they would say... yes but the real thing costs £800+.....

We were like "yes but thats the point, this ISN'T the real thing, its just a leather bag with the name stuck on.... ok so they are very good copys now, and a lot of work goes into them, but where is the warranty if it falls apart the day you get home...?
  • MrsE_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Exactly MrsE... we were looking for a Mui Miu (or something like that?) handbag for Mrs Morph3us...

Whenever we scoffed at their prices (£100+) they would say... yes but the real thing costs £800+.....

We were like "yes but thats the point, this ISN'T the real thing, its just a leather bag with the name stuck on.... ok so they are very good copys now, and a lot of work goes into them, but where is the warranty if it falls apart the day you get home...?

EXACTLY

I always argue this point when people mention the price of snides.

IF its not real, its not worth any more than an item of comparable quality with no name (not even a fake one:rolleyes: ) attached to it.

If its a leather nag, then its worth what any other leather bag of that quality is worth, if its plastic then in Turkey its worth about £2 (no matter what someone has scribbled on it:rotfl: ).
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Add to that, from most cash machines I have used in turkey, you can choose to withdraw Lira, pounds or dollars.
    That rings alarm bells. I imagine the GBP and USD are by means of 'dynamic currency conversion' at the bank's own rates. Always choose the local currency where possible.
  • boiler_man
    boiler_man Posts: 377 Forumite
    Options
    You will get more YTL to the £ in Turkey than in the UK. Lots of items in the resorts are priced in Euros so if you have a few hanging around the house, take these too, but don't change any especially. You will be able to get a £ or YTL price too.

I tend to take £100 or so changed into YTL for 1st day or so and then sterling to change in the resort (and cash point card for when I run out!!!)
  • MrsE_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    boiler_man wrote: »
    You will get more YTL to the £ in Turkey than in the UK. Lots of items in the resorts are priced in Euros so if you have a few hanging around the house, take these too, but don't change any especially. You will be able to get a £ or YTL price too.

I tend to take £100 or so changed into YTL for 1st day or so and then sterling to change in the resort (and cash point card for when I run out!!!)

I'm good at maths (pretty damn good) so I get the price off them in both & work out the best deal, taking into account IF I do pay in Lira the rate I got when I bought those Lira.
  • DGJsaver
    DGJsaver Posts: 2,777 Forumite
    Options
    We have decided to take sterling and change it as and when to get the best rate we can

as for the fake t-shirts , they know that we know and they know that we will pay it as its more a laugh than anything

I have had a pink ysl polo shirt for over two years so far , its not bad really:cool:
  • redrabbit29
    redrabbit29 Posts: 1,074 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm going on holiday for one week at the end of July to SIDE in turkey. It's on the med coast I think.

Anyway, I plan to put a few hundred pounds into a nationwide account and withdraw the money from a cash point when there (Free withdrawals).

Which currency is best for Side? The travel agent said they take Euros, but isn't that a bad exchange rate? I don't really want to !!!! anyone off, and similarly don't want to carry around loads of different currencies or have the hassle of seeing if they accept the one I choose.
    Amo L'Italia
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport