Having a friends debit card delivered to my home

A friend has asked me whether I could take delivery of a debit card as he doesn't want it delivered to his home address. The reason for this is that he doesn't want his wife to know about this account. I know that this isn't for fraudulent purposes as he's had a second account for several years without telling his wife. A new card is due but his wife is at home all day now and will see the card arrive.

I'm in two minds, frankly. Putting aside the moral position, what could go wrong if I agree?
I hate verisimilitude.

Comments

• veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    With all due respect if theyre a close friend they'll understand you saying no.

I'd be more interested in why he's having to deceive his wife and question whether I needed people like that in my friend network.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    If he was a good friend he wouldn't be asking. The only things you know about his financial arrangements are the things he chooses to tell you.
    If you agree to his request then the bank will link your address to his account.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 April 2017 at 8:10AM
    He could see if he could get it delivered to the bank.
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    He could see if he could get it delivered to the bank.

I did tell him that yesterday but he'd already checked and it's apparently not an option.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Goes against security measures if they allow this anyway surely? If he can use a different address then why not his work?
  • mt99
    mt99 Posts: 472 Forumite
    If - and this is obviously a big 'if' - he is using the account for anything illegal you could be investigated as an accessory.

Anyway I would be amazed if a bank would agree to deliver a debit card to a random address other than the one on the account. He would have to put your address on the actual account (if only temporarily).

My advice is if you receive the card to return it to the bank marked 'not known'.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,573 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If the friendship and the purpose are both genuine, do Royal Mail still offer a temporary mail re-direction service? Asking the bank to re-direct is surely out of the question.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The only way a bank will send a card to a different address is if you change your address or add a correspondence one.
    That means you may get statements and correspondence as well.

If everything is above board then all will be well but if it turns bad you don't want people coming to your door asking for your friend do you?
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    You are helping him to deceive his wife. Think about that: would you want your OH to deceive you in the same way?
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Robisere wrote: »
    You are helping him to deceive his wife. Think about that: would you want your OH to deceive you in the same way?

That would depend, for example, on whether husband is hiding assets in preparation for a forthcoming divorce or for a spectacular second honeymoon surprise.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure