Phone needs repair, try and get a newer one?

Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone can help, my phone contract ends in December and my phone isn't charging so is in need of repair, (Samsung Galaxy S6) I contacted O2 and they said to send it, I was thinking of just replacing it and saw they were offering the Galaxy S7 edge for 3 pound more a month at £28 per month which gave me extra data and a new phone, but with an upfront cost of £100 do you think it would be worth trying to haggle with them to try and replace my non charging current phone with a newer phone and to upgrade the contract or shall I just leave it? Any advice would be great! Thank you

Comments

• ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,064 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    so they are starting a new long contract?
  • Either so they start a new contract with a bit cheaper prices or just replace the phone for the rest of my current contract
  • Why not replace or repair the phone? O2 would love to hook you into a further 2 years on their network...

Stick to SIM only in future for max flexibility, there will be a shake up of contracts with the scrapping of EU roaming charges in mid June, someone is going to have to pay for it, I doubt it will be the networks.
  • I want to see if I can haggle them into upgrading my phone for the rest of this contract, even if I have to pay the upfront cost, would still mean I'd be able to get out of the contract at the end of the year
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I want to see if I can haggle them into upgrading my phone for the rest of this contract, even if I have to pay the upfront cost, would still mean I'd be able to get out of the contract at the end of the year

If they upgrade your phone you'll get a new minimum term, they aren't going to give you a £500 phone and then let you leave in 8 months...
    ====
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Try. What have you go to lose? The worst they can say is no. Don't hold it against them if they refuse though, as they have no obligation to accomodate your request.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 April 2017 at 7:20AM
    If the phone is only 16m old then it's still under the manufacturer's 24m warranty...go direct to them.
    What is the actual fault though? Is there output from the charger? If not then the phone itself is not faulty, just replace the charger. However if it is the battery that won't hold charge, then this is not covered by the warranty.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 19 April 2017 at 8:15AM
    Yep, even my Samsung Galaxy Core Prime has a 2 year guarantee. If the providers do not agree to that then contact Samsung directly.

It could be the charger, it could be the part of the phone that processes the charging of the battery. Chances are it will be the battery.

Batteries are not normally covered by warranty so if it is the battery then just replace it.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • It's not theasy battery, it charges wirelessy absolutely fine, all cables don't work I've tried about 5 cables none work, they aren't even showing indication that they are plugged in, I think it's the charging port on the phone, I contacted O2 and they said they could repair it so I'm just going to send it off and see what they can do.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    It's not theasy battery, it charges wirelessy absolutely fine, all cables don't work I've tried about 5 cables none work, they aren't even showing indication that they are plugged in, I think it's the charging port on the phone, I contacted O2 and they said they could repair it so I'm just going to send it off and see what they can do.

Be prepared to pay for the repair (unless you are really lucky), the charging port getting damaged is a fairly common fault, and caused by user error in either pushing the charger into the port too hard or trying to push the charger in upside down.

It's one of the reasons the new USB-C port is so much better as the charger can be put in either way.
    ====
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport