Amex getting harde to use?

Options
lisyloo
lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
Just come back from patisserie Valerie - Amex not accepted
Indian restaurant on Saturday - Amex not accepted
Tyre city - stopped taking it when rates were increased.

Anyone else finding it harder to use? Btw I live in central London.

Was going to get a new one for the airmiles, but not sure I'll hit the spending limit anymore.

Comments

• Yawn
    Yawn Posts: 151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I live in Cardiff, where Amex is significantly less common than in the southeast. Last December I found only two shops where I could use the Shop Small offer (and where I wanted to shop). Having said that though, all the major retailers, supermarkets (except Lidl), etc accept it. I have never had any difficulties getting introduction bonuses.
  • Shimrod
    Shimrod Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am encountering the same problem - places that used to take Amex are no longer accepting the card. It seems the fees Amex are charging are just not making it worthwhile for the smaller shops given the number of people who use Amex vs Mastercard/Visa. The dealer who services my car stopped taking Amex because the transaction fees were too high when compared to the other cards.
  • Jasonh2015
    Jasonh2015 Posts: 136 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I've used amex for years and the only place I go that doesn't accept it is the Chinise take away. I too live in London. Sometimes it can depend on where you shop.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Perhaps as a consequence of other card providers like Capital 1 being forced to reduce their charges by EU rules?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • adamh87
    adamh87 Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Also live in London, have found the odd place doesn't accept AMEX but all the main supermarkets do and so do many restaurants.

Asked at the local Thai place why they didn't accept and they said the fees were too high for them to pay. Shame - that money is my cashback haha.

Seriously though, wouldn't pick AMEX if I could only have 1 CC, but if you get cashback on your card you just have to suck it up and use it where you can
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you have Amex, you need to carry a Visa/Mastercard (or cash) for the gaps in domestic acceptability.
  • pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274 Forumite
    Options
    Tbh,im always surprised how many places do take it ,its rare that i have to use a debit card
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
  • mrmajika
    mrmajika Posts: 986 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As a user of AMEX for 10 years now, I find acceptance slightly better now than it was 5 years ago and significantly better than 10 years ago. Can't say I've noted any reversal in that trend.
    Whilst my posts do not constitute financial advice, I am always, without fail, 100% right! :D
  • planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i'm not seeing any change at all. one Hairdressers and one Chinese takeaway that i find don't accept American Express.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Options
    Jasonh2015 wrote: »
    I've used amex for years and the only place I go that doesn't accept it is the Chinise take away. I too live in London. Sometimes it can depend on where you shop.

Yes but places like tyre city and patisserie Valerie are not one man bands.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure