PPI Dixons finance provider 1980s

Could anyone tell me who the finance provider was for Dixons in 1980s? I contacted Dixons legal dept and they told me to contact the finance provider but couldn't tell me who they were and said I should Google it! No luck there. Many thanks.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Aurora_B wrote: »
    Could anyone tell me who the finance provider was for Dixons in 1980s?
    The 1980's are around twenty years prior to the regulation of general insurance in January 2005. If your proposed complaint is about PPI (or similar) from this time, then neither Dixons nor the finance provider would have to even consider your concerns.

What exactly are you wanting to complain about, thirty years on?
  • Thanks for enlightening me on this. I was advised to look into it as I know I had paid some kind of PPI at the time but I didn't realise that it pre-dated the legislation. Case closed then! :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Aurora_B wrote: »
    I was advised to look into it as I know I had paid some kind of PPI at the time but I didn't realise that it pre-dated the legislation.
    If your complaint has been with a Bank, then they would have had to consider any complaint. However, even a bank would be hard pressed to have records stretching back THIRTY YEARS about "some kind of PPI"

Only very robust mis-selling complaints, with full and comprehensive documentation, have even a chance of being upheld if they are this old.
  • magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If your complaint has been with a Bank, then they would have had to consider any complaint. However, even a bank would be hard pressed to have records stretching back THIRTY YEARS about "some kind of PPI"

Only very robust mis-selling complaints, with full and comprehensive documentation, have even a chance of being upheld if they are this old.
    But the complaint is not against the bank but against the seller - i.e. Dixons Retail Group. They cannot be pursued via FOS so they can rely on Section 14B of the Limitation Act 1980.
  • [Deleted User]
    neither Dixons nor the finance provider would have to even consider your concerns.
    If your complaint has been with a Bank, then they would have had to consider any complaint.
    But the complaint is not against the bank but against the seller - i.e. Dixons Retail Group. They cannot be pursued via FOS

Yes, exactly as I already pointed out at post #2 of this thread (quoted above). My point was that the OP was "advised" to complain, probably because Banks would still have to consider any complaint even after thirty years.

I think the OP already got that message!:p
  • magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Banks would still have to consider any complaint even after thirty years.
    Actually, they don't because the Banking Ombudsman scheme only started in 1986 - 28 years ago!

In addition, they only need to consider it if the original lender was a member of the scheme at the time of the sale.

That is why Santander has to consider some historic complaints but not others.
  • [Deleted User]
    Actually, they don't because the Banking Ombudsman scheme only started in 1986 - 28 years ago!
    I stand corrected! :D
  • For information in the 80's Dixons used either Lombard Tricity finance or Club 24 (which was owned by Hepworths the tailoring company). Club 24 ran the store card and did some of the loans. Lombard Tricity did unsecured personal loans for things like TV's.

I know because I worked for Dixons in the mid 80's.

Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
  • GordonH wrote: »
    For information in the 80's Dixons used either Lombard Tricity finance or Club 24 (which was owned by Hepworths the tailoring company). Club 24 ran the store card and did some of the loans. Lombard Tricity did unsecured personal loans for things like TV's.

Thanks for the information, but, as the 1980's are around twenty years prior to the regulation of general insurance, any mis-selling complaint is doomed to failure. In addition, do you really think either lombard Tricity Finance or Club24 will still have any records of thirty-year-old finance?
  • ~Brock~
    ~Brock~ Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I remember buying a Betamax video in the 80's from Dixons using Club24 credit.

Now if that wasn't mis-selling I don't know what was! :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport