Running costs for an aga

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 November 2012 at 8:57PM
    Cardew wrote: »
    You have missed the whole point of an Aga - you aren't supposed to actually use them; they are a lifestyle statement!

I take it you don't have one?

My wife's family are AGA people through and through and Mrs G wanted to replace my old cooker with one when she moved in. However, after considering the running costs and our lifestyle, we decided against a traditional AGA. What we did get was a dual fuel AGA range cooker that only uses power when it is actually cooking. It has the looks of an AGA but being cold, it really hasn't got the soul.

It's very cheap to run though.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    I take it you don't have one?

My wife's family are AGA people through and through

No, but our nanny and head footman have them. As our Butler says - "they are such snobs".
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Cardew wrote: »
    No, but our nanny and head footman have them. As our Butler says - "they are such snobs".

Ha ha! I bet they are warm snobs though. :p
  • joerugby
    joerugby Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 November 2012 at 6:57PM
    We have a four oven Aga powered by gas which seems to cost about £50 per month to run.

It is on all the time and keeps the kitchen as warm as toast throughout the winter. It is one of life's pleasures. On Sunday when it was freezing outside our kitchen was so welcoming. It's the heart of the house.

Without it I don't know where we would dry our wet clothes after a walk in the rain, or where I would warm my jacket before putting it on to walk the dog on a frosty morning. And the food is delicious ........ .................

We generally only heat the rest of the house during the evenings. How much we save from that I'm not sure but it must be a fair bit. We also no longer use electricity for cooking or boiling the kettle.

I've no doubt that there is a net cost overall, in fact I don't really want to know how much, it's worth it!
  • We are seriously considering buying a new Aga - bit of a mix between everything which has been said here, love the look, the idea of an Aga in the kitchen and a new way of experimenting with cooking.

We are just about to move into a new home - an old coach house on the outskirts London and it would fit in beautifully, but there are mixed reactions to the costs of running this cooker and I must admit to being a little confused.

The electrical 3 oven model was what we were looking at, we thought of gas originally as that appeared cheaper, but the electricity one with AIMS does not need the annual servicing the gas models do so that saves £150 a year. Installation of an electric model for us is better too as the chimney is a little suspect given the age of the building and the costs of lining/cleaning (circa £1500)

Has anyone got a real idea of how much each week the electric model actually costs to run?

Thanks
  • miniandrew wrote: »
    We are seriously considering buying a new Aga - bit of a mix between everything which has been said here, love the look, the idea of an Aga in the kitchen and a new way of experimenting with cooking.

We are just about to move into a new home - an old coach house on the outskirts London and it would fit in beautifully, but there are mixed reactions to the costs of running this cooker and I must admit to being a little confused.

The electrical 3 oven model was what we were looking at, we thought of gas originally as that appeared cheaper, but the electricity one with AIMS does not need the annual servicing the gas models do so that saves £150 a year. Installation of an electric model for us is better too as the chimney is a little suspect given the age of the building and the costs of lining/cleaning (circa £1500)

Has anyone got a real idea of how much each week the electric model actually costs to run?

Thanks

See Post 4.............
  • reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Pincher wrote: »
    Have you actually tried to search for "Aga running cost"?

Cut and pasted:
    Is your Aga cooker expensive to run?

No, in fact its quite the opposite. Aga Cookers are actually designed to conserve energy and fuel.
    Aga cookers don’t produce as much heat as is first presumed. They are very well insulated to release as little heat as possible which means they only output the equivalent heat produced from 10 – 12 100watt light bulbs.

So much, then, for the cosy AGA kitchen image. Glad I never bought into it.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,517 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    miniandrew wrote: »
    We are seriously considering buying a new Aga - bit of a mix between everything which has been said here, love the look, the idea of an Aga in the kitchen and a new way of experimenting with cooking.

Thanks

An alternative to an eletric Aga is an Everhot range, but having used one in a cottage last year they aren't as good as a normal oven.
  • snowcat53
    snowcat53 Posts: 602 Forumite
    edited 30 December 2012 at 12:19PM
    Had a gas-fired Aga in the kitchen installed by previous 'lifestyle' conscious owners. You are of course supposed to leave it on all the time, and in our experience this is VERY expensive (probably £600 a year, 3 years ago). Our gas usage now is about 20000kWh pa so the Aga's 425kwh per week would more than double this.!

Nice to have a warm kitchen in winter of course, but in summer it then gets very hot - but hey! follow Aga's advice ' just open the windows'. Brilliant. We ripped it out and swapped for a dual fuel Rangemaster .

I am amazed that people are still taken in by the hype. I had to laugh at post 2.
  • Alycidon
    Alycidon Posts: 58 Forumite
    Esse EC4I.

4 oven, massive induction hob, use it as a stand alone cooker, ready to cooker immediately. Use it as a heat source if you wish, leave the ovens on.

Esse have been making cookers in Barnoldswick since 1853, they know a thing or two about the job by now. And best of all significantly cheaper than AGA.

A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport